Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 06-29-2014, 05:47 PM   #1
Slave
Energon
Slave's Ebay Auctions
Arrow Slave's Star Q Dino Team Review

The next review is about the Star Q Dino team.

Video review here: http://youtu.be/UfylUCK4_ZQ

Just like the Rescue team, legend says they were designed by TLC and sold to a china company that makes cheap kids toys.

Now this set is AMAZING... no need for a review really... just go and get it.

Alright, so they come with the Junkion Blacksmith's Infinity Warfare weapon sets... its decent, and there's a lot of playability from this. Just mix and match the weapons to create new ones. Dont mind the abomination I made in the pictures, you probably can do better haha ;-)

Now onto the figures themselves.

First up we'll start with the Brachiosaurus, I thnk it's a Brachiosaurus... I'm not too good with dino names... anyway if he is a Brachiosaurus, he's totally not to scale with his fellow teammates... but... scale never was a matter for combiner Transformers... Looking a you Protectobots... a Motocycle and an Helicopter dont scale much for limbs... Neither is a Space Shuttle and a Jeep, Bruticus! I digress, The Dino mode is good looking with decent articulations, the only thing that bothers me a bit is the waist. its unpegs incrediby easily, in dino mode only 2 small tabs holds the front of the dino to its back, and they unpeg really easily.

Brachiosaurus's robot mode now is pretty cool, a decent transformation, Lots of articulations, he would've been great for 2 small problems: first his Huge backpack, of the lot, he's got the bigger backpack, the whole dino head just stands there looking in the back, it's kinda wierd... but it's ok, he's got big feet with big heel spurs and so he stands perfectly and there's no chances for him to fall on the weight of his backpack. The second problem I'd say is the waist again. In dino mode it doesnt holds the front to the back of the dino, and in robot mode is about the same the top part barly holds the bottom part of the robot. Its less obvious in robot mode but still there. Otherwise he's pretty decent.

Next up is the Stegosaurus, his dino mode is pretty nice, I really like it. He's well articulated, and beside a few joints of the legs i had to tighten a bit with a screw driver, there was no major problems with it. If I had to be nit picky about the dino mode, I'd say the front legs, for transformations purpose they revert inside the body, but while in dino mode, they tend to "bend" inside as if they'd want to transform and go inside the body automaticaly. The "pin" joint or Hinge that flips the legs inside is incredibly loose. I'd need to look up the internet how we can tighten an Hinge joint.

Ok first off, the Stegosaurus's robot mode, let's talk about the obvious, in the photo, yes he does have the waist backward, he was missassembled during the production. it's not a big problem, you only have 2 screws to remove at the knees, and switch the legs and it's done. The mod doesnt mess with the transformation at all. After the video I made the modifications and he's all good. Next up the transformation is pretty similar to the Brachiosaurus, it's nice and fun. Another problem here with the Hinge joints of the Dino head on the side of his knees... both sides, the head is incredibly loose and flops around. now in robot mode it's not a big problem at all... but in combined mode, as he makes a leg, the heads are upside down and the fall down flat on the ground. Would love to have the head peg on the side or something... again i need to look up a way to tighten the hinges.

Triceratops now. Dino mode is great... well articulated, like all the other dinos, he's got super tight joints everywhere... he's a nice all around... if I had to be again really picky for him, i'd say his front and back legs seems a bit to close to each other but thats it really.

As for the Triceratop's robot mode, the transformation is pretty easy, basically just standing him up on his back legs, flip the mouth open and open the ribs panels open like wings, then it's basically it. If you want you can leave the rib panels as he is in dino mode, it doesnt bother the movement at all. it just makes him a bit chubby, but he wont have the wings backpack. Still he's a great looking robot. I kinda find it a bit Fugly to have such a huge helmet on his head but... meh... its not the worst i seen in the world of TF.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:48 PM   #2
Slave
Energon
Slave's Ebay Auctions
Re: Slave's Star Q Dino Team Review

Part 2:

As for the Pterodactile, The dino mode kinda look clunky with squared up legs that looks really weird. As dino modes go, he's probably the weakest one. The dino's backpack are the robot's leg, and they dont peg anywhere which is kinda odd. there is a way to peg the legs in the back, by twisting them around, but doing so will prevent the dino's leg that wont be pegging on the side of the bottom of the dino (kinda hard to explain but whatever, either you get loos robot legs as a back pack, or you get loos dino legs... anyway the robot legs joint are tight enough to be loose on the backpack and hold pretty ok. As for the dino legs, they need to be pegged down otherwise they wont hold the weight of the robot.

Pterodactile's robot mode is ok, the transformation is straight forward; move the arms up, unfold the legs and move the dino head down and you're done. The robot's ears kinda look weird, having huge pegs on the side of the head, but they are used for combined mode. otherwise he's a pretty good robot mode. Nothing much to say about it really beside... it's good that he doesnt have a backpack, but he does have the connector peg clearly in the open. I guess you can turn and "close" the wings and cover the peg... but it would look weird...

Finally the T-Rex leader. He's great. He towers all the others, he's great looking, menacing, lots of details onto him. Open up his mouth and reveal double canons in his mouth. The Teethare super sharp. the head has great articulation, although you have to unpeg it from the neck, and the articulation is due to transformation but still gives him lots of posability which is great. 2 Nit pick thing about him, his tiny dino arms doesnt have elbow joints; it's not that bad but would've been nice. And second thing is the tigh side panels... even pegged in, they look like they are not properly pegged... it's weird. It's not a big problem but I always end up pegging them correctly, and then "instinctively" I'm trying to peg the panel even more... but he's already pegged into place.

T-Rex's robot mode is pretty nice. he's big, massive, strong build. The transformation is original and fun. There's absolutely nothing wrong with him at all, if not for the WAY TOO TIGHT joints of the legs (transformation of the legs needs to bring both legs together and form the croth area... the tigh joints is INCREDIBLY TIGHT and requires all my strenght... luckily, the plastic quality all around of the set is super... really Great super solid quality. He could fall of one of my higher shelves and wouldnt break). Being nit picky, I'd say the only thing I dont like about the robot mode is his head. For some reason it reminds me of an old hockey mask. Also, for some reason the back of the head is all about Light piping... but the fonr of the head, is all painted up... there's NOTHING clear for the light to pass through. Really weird design decision.

As for the Feet & Hands, the foot are nice, solid, and even the underside is filed up, and not en empty mold. the joint on the foot is a bit loose and flops around, bit it's less obvious once you pet the ankle connector in. As for the hands they are rather simple, all the fingers are together in one piece, the thumb is on a swivel, and you have wrist swivel also.

The combined mode is where its at. He is Massive, I think he is the Bulkiest of the transformers Combiners. The weight of it all kind of hinder his articulation, he is top heavy and the legs are pretty weak to hold all that weight. But otherwise he is one Great looking Beast. Like I mentioned earlier, the Stegosaurus's head parts are extremely loose, in the pictures, to prevent the head from flopping down I've misstransformed the dino legs to hold the head in piece. Otherwise there are pegs on the side of the dino body where the legs should peg in. The arms are perfect, no problem at all if not for the hands finger joints is rather loose and cannot really hold any Big weapons you could make with the weapon set. Another nit pick is the Brachiosaurus's head. It's just flopped down on the knee... wish it was on a ball joint and flip it around and have the head not upside down... sure it would've given him a big kneecap, but I think it would've looked better than an upside down dino head.

Here's a Comparison with MP01 Prime, which gets him at his shoulder. Pretty nice height.

And a Comparison with Fansproject M3 Stunticons where he's an inche and a half smaller in height, but still much bulkier.

Pros:
+Plastic Quality is incredible, very solid, doesnt feel "empty" or hollow ar all. He weight a great deal.
+individual bots and their dino modes is Great looking and fun
+Combined mode gives one of the bulkiest combiner bot
+lots of playability with the weapon set.
+Pretty detailed... at first I wanted to repaint him whole to be G1 color dinobots... but now that I have him in hand... I'm not sure, I'm diggin his color scheme.
+Cheap. 75$ for the set from Sirtoys, I think I saw cheaper prices elsewhere.

Cons:
-Lots of loose joints needs tightening up
-Stegosaurus had a backward waist and lots of loose Hinges that really hinders the combiner mode or even his dino mode
-Combined mode is top heavy and the legs barely hold everything.
-The combined mode shares the same robot head as the leader which is disapointing, we'd need a somewhat bigger and different head for the combined mode

Seriously, there shouldnt have any hesitation, you should really get him. He does come with his problems, he's not perfect by far, but for the low price... he's a really nice looking, fun piece to add to any collection. I highly recommend that set.

Last edited by Slave; 06-29-2014 at 06:18 PM.
Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:11 PM   #3
mAk
Machine War
Re: Slave's Star Q Dino Team Review

I have these guys coming in the mail. I sure wish I knew how to do customs, because I'd love to paint them in G1 colors.
mAk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dino, review, slave, star q, transformers