Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 10-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
Slave
Energon
Slave's Ebay Auctions
Slave's FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime Review

Hello everyone!

I just received my order... and among other things, in that order there was a TF I've been waiting for some time... it's the FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime

Video review covering the Box, Assembly, and transformation: http://youtu.be/rfHdYhoCxws

Alright First up let's talk about the elephant in the room: that figure is TINY!!!!!!! Smaller than the recent line of IDW Generations... and those were already tiny...

But... let's not judge our toys by their size... its not the size that matter, it's how much fun they are... right?

If you want to see FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime naked without his armor, and see more detailed view of the armor, I strongly suggest clicking the video link above.

FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime's robot mode looks BADASS... huge shoulder, fit like a muscle man, abs of steel... literally... he looks awesome... he's got a lot of good articulation, ratchet-y joints, tight ball joints... he is a quality toy. The only thing I don't love so much of this robot mode: he suffers from somewhat hollow legs... its nothing major... but I hate hollow parts on my robots.

I love how the head looks, its more square but looks good, this FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime is built to kick some serious @$$!

The armor assembly is not for everyone. I consider myself a somewhat Advanced know-how with gundam models... I made loads of those years back so it was pretty easy for me to assemble the armor... but someone that doesn't have much experience with assembling gundam models will most likely break pieces... Like explained in the video, some of the pieces are super tiny, yet the pegs holding the piece on the plastic frame are big and hard to cut. I have tools, and I HIGHLY recommend people to use some for this figure. Albeit the assembling of the armor pieces onto FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime was nice... the pieces fits perfectly together (be sure to sand the parts a tiny bit where the frames were attached to the pieces otherwise they wont fit perfectly).

My first complaint though came from the colors.. this set came with 2 different armor color... White... which is ok and is the color I decided to put on him... white can pass as Ultra Magnus... its ok... but Yellow?? it's not Optimus Bee... I know this toy will come in several colors... most are ugly... i wanted red... but if I remember correctly, most colors were for different exclusivity, some sites had exclusive colors of their own... I bought this figure from Robotkingdom, and they only had the yellow/white set.

Transformation is... wow... this is one of the more complicated transformers I have. Y'know on each packages there's a scale from 1 to 5 on how difficult a figure is to transforms... most are 2s or 3s... MP-05 Megatron is a 10... Mastermind Creation KM-03 Cyclops is a 9... and ROTF Optimus Prime is an 8... I'd say FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime is a 6 or 7... His transformation is quite unique, and he is Compacted... everything has a place inside the tiny vehicle.

The fact that the instructions were wrong at some point baffled me for 20min trying to do EXACTLY like the instructions... until I skipped the instruction and simply played with the toy all by myself until I figured how things needed to go. (See Video)

Funny thing, midway in transformation, you get a Walker mode Robot... which looks rather cute! hehe

The truck mode is incredibly tiny...about the same size as IDW's Orion Pax. But everything is Sooooooo compacted inside this tiny truck... the engineering of this toy is stellar! Truck rolls nice, nothing gets in the way and drags underneath.

My problem with the truck mode is the panel lining... its all over the place... it bugs me. At first I thought maybe it was because I placed the panel wrong... but nope... they are all good... so it must've been made like so.

Underneath the truck, I love this, no robot kibbles... maybe the feet, but it's good... they don't look like feet.

Overall FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime is a great toy, the transformation wins me over, it's complicated as hell, and I love this. The plastic quality though, could be much better, the plastic feels like it will break before it will stress mark. Same for the Shield/panels on the frame, you need to be EXTRA careful cutting them off the frame and sanding them.

Do I recommend this figure? HELL YES! BUT be warned about the plastic quality, be sure you are up to the challenge to assembly the panels... its not much of a challenge but I believe that if you never made Gundam models... maybe you will make rookie mistakes and break the tiny pieces. The Challenge comes from the transformation. Personally I LOVE the transformation... others might be put off by it... I know a lof or people Hate MP-05 Megatron because he's so complicated... personally he's one of my favorite for the same reason.

Pros:
-Badassery of the robot mode
-Complicated transformation
-Head sculpt
-Great articulation
-Great looking truck mode
-No underneath robot kibble
-That axe!

Cons:
-Plastic Quality
-Choice of colors for the armor
-The plastic frames which holds the armor pieces has the pegs way too big/large for such tiny pieces... rookies will most likely break pieces.
-So tiny
-Bad instructions that one steps ask you to bend the robot in a way that he does not bend and you will break the toy for sure!

For a retail price of 40$ imported, I still highly recommend this toy, FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime is unique and even tho I still haven't figure where I'm going to put it in my collection, I am happy to have gotten him. If you are up to the challenge of assembling him, and transforming him... By all mean get this figure!
Old 10-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
down_shift
Fortress Maximus
Re: Slave's FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime Review

Friendly advice: stop color coating every name. It takes a lot away from the review. Color coat the pros and cons, that works. But the names don't.

As for the review, well done. I'm getting a few of them. I work for Toyota and I'm going to have my body shop paint a few panels pearl white, pearl black, and the c package red that the FJ came in.
down_shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

Thanks for your review. They should have mass produced red

Last edited by MULTIPLEX; 10-05-2013 at 08:39 PM.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
Pascal
Banned

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the plastic quality on that thing, it's super sturdy. Love that figure to death!
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:11 PM   #5
dingd0ng
Nexus Maximus

I know this is an old post, but I just opened mine and couldn't stand any of the colours (yellow or white). Added red myself to the armor pieces. I actually really like the engineering they put into this small figure. The transformation is fun and challenging.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140228_140311.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	22508  

Last edited by dingd0ng; 02-28-2014 at 03:29 PM.
dingd0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:47 PM   #6
Pascal
Banned

Well done!
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:36 PM   #7
Deception
Crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slave View Post
FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime's robot mode looks BADASS... huge shoulder, fit like a muscle man, abs of steel... literally... he looks awesome.
LOL sounds like you got the hots for optimus! hahaha jk great review. are these meant to be painted as well? the first pics i wasn't too thrilled about the white until i scrolled down and saw ding dong's version.
Deception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:09 AM   #8
down_shift
Fortress Maximus

I still maintain this is one of my favorite figures.
down_shift is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fj cruiser, optimus prime, review, slave, transformers