Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2013, 11:44 PM   #11
Nightscrabbler
mississaugascrabble.com
Re: Fair For Canada?

I think there is a lot of hypocrisy by the big-three. They're trying to make this a Canada-US thing to gain the support of Canadians, but that isn't what it's really about. However, if they wanted the support of Canadians, they should have made the effort earlier to provide better services without gouging us. I don't necessarily want Verizon here, but it will definitely increase the competition. The fact is, the cost of their business isn't anywhere near what they charge, their profits are insane. This whole campaign is just a last-ditch effort to preserve their competitive advantage, but I don't think people will fall for it.

Last edited by Nightscrabbler; 08-14-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Nightscrabbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:29 AM   #12
justprime
Animated

Now if we could only get some compatition for hydro1
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #13
Janitor
Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by razin View Post
I'm all for Verizon coming over the border. The radio ads are almost embarrassing to listen to. Wah wah, no fair, stomp my feet.

Our wireless options are horrendous. The more companies in competition, the better for the consumer. "It's good fair competition", like the ad says.
Pretty much this. Aside from Cpl. Chrissandwich's story there, every incident I've heard where someone's dealt with any of Robellus' customer serivce dept (including my own experiences) has always ended in a shitstorm of uselessness (and started with 45+ minutes on hold). And now they're running ads asking us to help drag them out of a grave they've slowly been digging for years? I too would welcome some competition to give them a swift kick in the ass and get them to clean up their act.

They're trying to work an angle they think they have a shot at: "stay true to Canada, blah blah blah" in order to tug at our nationilistic heartstrings but it just comes off as pathetic. Not a single person I know who's heard the ad supports Robellus and/or is less than annoyed. Nice try losers. Seriously, how many of the people who came up with this ad campaign actually live a 100% Canadian life, completely free of American additives or "competition"? ie. watch no American tv/never eat at McDonald's/shop at Wal-Mart

Deal with it.

Last edited by Janitor; 08-14-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #14
The 12th Prime
Lost count, long time ago
The 12th Prime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by canprime View Post
My buudy had a great comment on the ad. Specifically about how it complains that the new guy is supposedly getting all these sweet deals and the existing guys are paying for it.

My buddy said he wanted to run a counter ad on YouTube asking the big three how this was any different than how they treat their customers. They offer sweet deals to new customers while existing customers who have paid into the companies for years get jack unless you go through the hassle of complaining. Even then you don't get the same specials as new customers.

He wanted to ask the big three if they feel what is happening with Verizon is unfair, then wouldn't their practice of offering special deals to new customers and forgoing old customers be just as unfair business practices?
Well put canprime, my GF was just saying to me it reminds her of a little kid stomping their feet when they don't get their way, lmao. Maybe Robellus could try their hand at going into the U.S, again turnabout is fair play
The 12th Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #15
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.

This is just the same thing Rogers tried to pull when Bell entered the TV game.

All big companies will try to fight any new competitor's coming into their area. But instead of trying to get us all riled up why don't they get ahead of it and start offering better deals to all their customers so we don't all jump ship when Verizon comes in?
Old 08-14-2013, 10:30 PM   #16
ConvoyGTR
Generation 2

This seemed appropriate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80D7RRquPww
Old 08-14-2013, 10:58 PM   #17
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave 75 View Post
This is just the same thing Rogers tried to pull when Bell entered the TV game.

All big companies will try to fight any new competitor's coming into their area. But instead of trying to get us all riled up why don't they get ahead of it and start offering better deals to all their customers so we don't all jump ship when Verizon comes in?
Yep and Bell tried to get the CRTC to force independent ISP to charge extra for unlimited bandwidth.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:40 PM   #18
wedge1021
Energon

Those ads make me want to immediately cancel my accounts with Bell.
Oh wait, I have been free of them for over 5 years now, and loving every minute!

In addition to the all the reactions mentioned by others above, I found this blog post to be quite interesting: http://benklass.wordpress.com/2013/0...s-open-letter/
It provides some fun facts about how hypocritical Bell and the others are, for instance:
Bell was originally a branch of an American company, and got special treatment when they first came into Canada.
The part I found most ironic - that original American phone company was National Bell Telephone, which after a somewhat convoluted series of mergers and breakups over the years, became in part what is known to us all as Verizon Communications Inc.
wedge1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:31 AM   #19
The 12th Prime
Lost count, long time ago
The 12th Prime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge1021 View Post
Those ads make me want to immediately cancel my accounts with Bell.
Oh wait, I have been free of them for over 5 years now, and loving every minute!

In addition to the all the reactions mentioned by others above, I found this blog post to be quite interesting: http://benklass.wordpress.com/2013/0...s-open-letter/
It provides some fun facts about how hypocritical Bell and the others are, for instance:
Bell was originally a branch of an American company, and got special treatment when they first came into Canada.
The part I found most ironic - that original American phone company was National Bell Telephone, which after a somewhat convoluted series of mergers and breakups over the years, became in part what is known to us all as Verizon Communications Inc.
Yep, free of Bell too but with Telus now so not so free but happy I don't see a Bell bill. Though no complaints for me yet with Telus after 2 years. As for my home internet I am part of the 6% who use the other isp's as I am with Distributel and I would recommend them if you can get them, unlimited internet for less than $50 a month is sweet.

Though if you do need something fixed you may see a Bell guy but some of them can be pretty bro as the one guy was who fixed my internet because my internet before I lived where I am was hooked up to old phone bridal wire in the house. I live in a 100 plus year old farm house incase anyone is saying what is "bridal wire", so no charge to fix it as it was an "initial set up issue". Also got the ground wire outside fixed so internet has worked great since
The 12th Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #20
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

When the wife and I backpacked through Europe in 2005 we were astonished by how many cell providers there were over there and how cheap wireless plans were. We ended up getting a "disposable" cell phone because it was more convenient than using payphones and internet to call ahead and verify our reservations.

Crazy to think that it's taken 8 years for the CRTC to allow the first steps towards the same setup here. We're currently with BELL for our smartphone plan and I often wonder when they'll screw us like I've heard they've done to so many.

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote