Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 11-30-2015, 03:23 AM   #1
CanBot
Cybertron
The tale of two Starscreams..sell one?

Now that I've had some laughs with my new Hasbro MP SS, I've compared it fully with my Takara and am trying to make a decision. I simply don't need and can't justify two SSs, yet...I can't seem to get to selling the Takara.

I say sell the Takara so I can recoup on the higher priced toy. But I really like certain things about each; the Takara bot still seems more refined in small ways. It's hard to describe. But I can't stand that loose sliding waist issue. I'm no fan of the Hasbro extras and dig the coronation gear, but no was is it worth $100 to me. And I like each one equally in jet mode, lol! The blue cone has really grown on me and just matches the tail nicely.

So the obvious solution is to keep both, but that seems like a waste of space and money that can be better put to picking up some other randoms, like Soundblaster and a Takara Soundwave (well, once each gets reissued again so the price isn't as silly...one can dream).

I also really just like the idea of having all three Takara seekers, and prefer the Takara packaging. If there were only some way to fix that waist! That said, I actually see how little it affects things: I don't play with the bot, I just pose and let it be. In that case, the waist isn't really an issue. But when you see how great it 'can' be with Skywarp (and even Hasbro SS) then it just bugs ya.

Thoughts?
Old 11-30-2015, 06:15 AM   #2
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag
Re: The tale of two Starscreams..sell one?

For myself, I've always had trouble paying higher Japanese import prices for figures. There are special cases for me, like the recent fembots, but for cases like SS, I can't justify paying double the price for a few nick-nacks and a few paint apps, no matter how good they look.

But I've always been able to settle for something lesser and be happy with what I got, whether that's a Universe Hotshot with no guns, or an incomplete G1 figure.

A wacky solution would be to mix and match your favorite parts from both figures and then sell what's left over. But obviously there are issues with that. You may get a figure with the parts and accessories you want, but I'm not sure what the resale value would be.

Sometimes breaking up is hard to do, and you just have to make your choice, Ginger or Mary-Ann, and just move on ASAP. The longer you let it linger, the hard it will be to let go.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:09 AM   #3
CanBot
Cybertron

I'm going to hang onto him for a bit longer, in any case. I'm probably keep both even though it's not really the right thing to do (space, money that could be spent on other MPs).
Old 12-01-2015, 03:28 AM   #4
Chigimus
Masterpiece

I would definitely sell the Takara version. As you've already accepted, it's overpriced to pay what you did. If you like the coronation gear, keep it and give it to your Hasbro Starscream. Even without the coronation gear, I would still think you would be able to sell an incomplete Takara Starscream for the right fair-value price. I'm sure it's fair to say not every fan cares as much for the coronation gear so I'd go as far to bet that you could still sell an incomplete Takara version at a reduced price but still get more than what you paid for the Hasbro version.
Chigimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:39 AM   #5
Rev
Addict

You can't have too much Starscream.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:01 AM   #6
DuG
Titanium

Agreed, Rev said it best!
DuG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:59 AM   #7
Pascal
Banned

I like the blue nosecone better, but I want the coronation gear.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:21 PM   #8
elburrito
Animated

I am facing this same dilemma. Hasbro is tighter, but Takara is cleaner. I like both nosecones. Don't care about the coronation gear. Won't ever display both at the same time (would have to get doubles of all of them to be happy with that) and yet can't seem to sell. Sold off my other MP doubles....argh.

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:02 PM   #9
papavader
Beer Keg Combiner

If anyone is willing to dispose of one, color me interested.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:51 PM   #10
B13
I.Prefer.Decepticons

Keep what you like from both sets and sell the rest. It will go!
B13 is offline   Reply With Quote