Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-21-2008, 10:14 AM   #11
tusko
Classic
Re: How many of the same figure is too many?

3 is a good number, after which its excessive when collecting for the sake of collecting.

However if there is a good story to go with the toy, special gift, or hard to find addition then its okay to be flexible.
tusko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:22 AM   #12
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

I don't really have that problem yet. Although I am interested in aquiring multiples of molds such as the upcoming 25th Optimus Prime and maybe Encore Convoy because my Bookstyle re-issue has a broken smokestack. Plus I'm that kind of wierd. Heck I want all the E-Hobby repaints like Shining Ultra Magnus and Black Sixshot (There was a Black Sixshot wasn't there?) So yeah, first I need the money then I need to pray that shopping on E-Bay won't be Jerks-R-Us.

But I have to say the reason why some of us happen to collect multiples of a figure probably stems from the popularity of said figure. Ok to be honest I have Bookstyle Soundwave and Classics Soundwave (Still need Soundblaster) Hasbro Re-Issue Starscream and Book-Style Anime Starscream (Still going to get one day Ghost Starscream, Black Starscream and G2 Starscream heh.) So I really think it's due to the popularity of those two figures. Starscream and Soundwave were some of the biggest Decepticons character wise and this way you get more storage space for some of the G1 Cassetticons. (Having multiples of Laserbeak and Ravage, hey you can never have too many Cassettes.)

You know I've always wondered why Takara didn't make more new Seekers like Sunstorm. I mean multiples of Thundercracker and Skywarp are all good, but seeing a brand new paint job on that mold would definately be an instant sell. Maybe with the upcoming Encore releases E-Hobby will make two more brand new Seekers like an all Red one and a G1 version of Acid Storm.

When all is said and done it comes down to popularity of the character and personal preference. Maybe you want to display one of them with the neat Energy Axe accessory Takara made or one of them with the extra Megatron holding hand that Anime Starscream released. Maybe you want to have a Prime for all seasons or a Starscream for every shelf of G1 showing just how much you really like that guy. Maybe you're like me with a desire to have Re-Issue long missile versions and original more accurate short missile versions. (Why I want Encore Skywarp and Thundercracker to go with my book style Starscream.) Who can say. Now if you had the drive to have fifty versions of the exact same mold then maybe you'd have a problem. But three to four isn't that big of a deal especially considering how many awesome optional add-ons the re-issues give us.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:48 AM   #13
FreedomGundam
Freedom, ikimasu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper6 View Post
Heck I want all the E-Hobby repaints like Shining Ultra Magnus and Black Sixshot (There was a Black Sixshot wasn't there?)
Yep, but Black Sixshot was a lucky draw. Limited to 10 in existence.
FreedomGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:55 AM   #14
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomGundam View Post
Yep, but Black Sixshot was a lucky draw. Limited to 10 in existence.

Oh right, scratch him off my list then I'm not paying that much for a toy. Maybe it was the Crystal version that was mass-produced. Or something.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:57 AM   #15
FreedomGundam
Freedom, ikimasu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper6 View Post
Oh right, scratch him off my list then I'm not paying that much for a toy. Maybe it was the Crystal version that was mass-produced. Or something.
The Clear Sixshot was also a Lucky Draw, also limited to 10.
FreedomGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:17 AM   #16
Optimus_Prime
Teensformer

I only figure I have where the character and mold is the same is 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime(the two Hasbro releases). For molds, the only repeats I have are Classics Starscream = Skywarp, Classics Optimus Prime = Ultra Magnus, and Classics Bumblebee = Cliffjumper. I say too many is when you start buying the exact same figure multiple times. However, I wouldn't like 10 of the same character with same mold sitting on my shelf.

Optimus_Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:26 PM   #17
Nocturn
Previously Dead

Uh... I have about 5 Primes, Megs, And Screamers, but they're all different molds so...

Honestly, for me, 2 of any toy is too many, save for TFU Sideswipe and Sunstreaker.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:11 PM   #18
soundwaveCA
Retired TF Fan

Only toy/character I really have multiples of is G1 Soundwave of which I own the G1, TFC reissue (and Soundblaster), and the Hasbro reissue. Only other character I really have is G1 Prime of which I have the first release Takara reissue, Pepsi Convoy, and Music Label Convoy. Though with Prime it's kinda iffy as Pepsi and Music Label Convoy do have distinct differences the most notable being the trailer's.

Only other character I can think of that also comes close is Cybertron/GF Sideways/Noisemaze as I have both plus the DVD exclusive mass production colors version.
soundwaveCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:13 PM   #19
JaySmith
Banned
JaySmith's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jourdo View Post
Anyone else have this problem?
Very much so, as I have 2 G1 Optimus Prime's, 1 G2 Optimus Prime, TRU Commerative Optimus Prime, Botcon Pepsi Optimus Prime, and even plan to purchase the 25th Anniversary Optimus Prime. Money well wasted. lol And at some point I eventually want to spend the $250+ on a JAFCON Optims Prime I'm sure.

Last edited by JaySmith; 08-21-2008 at 01:15 PM.
JaySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:48 PM   #20
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Come to think of it the movie line would probably give me the most of the same mould:

F-22 - SS, Target G1 SS, TC, DS SS (and though I dislike the mould I'mn tempted to get one more TC to repaint into Skywarp...)
08 Camaro - BB, Cliffjumper, Premium BB
Solstice - Jazz, Target G1 Jazz, Battle Damage Jazz (though I just got him for the gun really...)

The 5 Autobots in the film had at least 3 versions each so I'm glad I didn't get them all otherwise I'd be even more broke :P

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote