Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 12-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #5081
carissa
Energon
Re: BC Community Thread For Non-Sightings Chat

If anyone is interested, I stopped in A3U today, the TF of the week is Animated Rodimus. I think it's $12.99 - not sure.
carissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #5082
kirbenvost
Fortress Maximus

I just got a mystery deposit into my bank account for $96 through another bank... is this probably a scam? Anyone have experience with this?
Old 12-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #5083
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbenvost View Post
I just got a mystery deposit into my bank account for $96 through another bank... is this probably a scam? Anyone have experience with this?
It's Xmas! Thanks Santa Jebus
Old 12-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #5084
thebobkat
Canadian Slag

Quote:
An EFT through another bank...does your bank have e-transfer or interac transfer service available? If so, it could have been in error (maybe the account number was mistyped by the sender, etc.). Scammers generally don't have direct access to accounts, so it's likely an error or rebate/refund you forgot about? Either way, I'd get your bank to back track it and check to see if it's correct.

Buy/Sell/Trade Thread Updated DEC 28 2023
thebobkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #5085
Ozrein
Stunticon

So I got a surprise today: A Paypal receipt for a payment to HLJ.

But the only time I've been to their site in the past 4 months or so was yesterday and I didn't order anything, just seeing if they had any extra MP Smokescreen. Even though, I was never planning on getting him, his recent pics have been making me 2nd-guess that decision. But I wasn't really interested enough to pay NA store prices.

So anyway, after a little investigation, I found that my past-self had thought ahead and figured it was a good idea to Pre-Order MP Smokescreen just in case my future-self changed his mind. With my present-self having completely forgot about this event, oh so many months ago, this email came as quite the surprise.

So anyway, I now have a MP Smokescreen on his way to me. Woot! lol!
Old 12-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #5086
kirbenvost
Fortress Maximus

^Lol, that is indeed a nice surprise!

My suprise, however, is suspicious, that's what it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobkat View Post
An EFT through another bank...does your bank have e-transfer or interac transfer service available? If so, it could have been in error (maybe the account number was mistyped by the sender, etc.). Scammers generally don't have direct access to accounts, so it's likely an error or rebate/refund you forgot about? Either way, I'd get your bank to back track it and check to see if it's correct.
I'm at Coast Capital, so no e-Transfer or Interac Online. It said direct deposit. It's a joint account I have with my girlfriend and to both our knowledge (or as for as we can remember), neither of us have set up any sort of direct deposit on that account. I know for certain I haven't. I did formerly use a money transfer service to pay rent, but that was YEARS ago, and I can't see how I would be getting any sort of refund after so long, and the transaction description is some sort of company/service name I don't recognize and a bunch of nonsensical letters which I assume is a transaction ID. Coast Capital could only tell me it came through BMO and that it was done in my girlfriend's name, but she has no knowledge of it. She DOES have a BMO credit card, but it's not tied to that account and she sees no record of any such transfer on her card account.

I'm probably going to tell them to return the funds but now I'm freaking out that someone has access to my our info...

OH, and I forgot, I was part of that big security breach with Canada Student Loans, but as far as I can remember I never used that account to pay my loans, only my own personal account.

Last edited by kirbenvost; 12-13-2013 at 06:23 PM.
kirbenvost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #5087
thebobkat
Canadian Slag

Quote:
^Lol, that is indeed a nice surprise!

My suprise, however, is suspicious, that's what it is...

I'm at Coast Capital, so no e-Transfer or Interac Online. It said direct deposit. It's a joint account I have with my girlfriend and to both our knowledge (or as for as we can remember), neither of us have set up any sort of direct deposit on that account. I know for certain I haven't. I did formerly use a money transfer service to pay rent, but that was YEARS ago, and I can't see how I would be getting any sort of refund after so long, and the transaction description is some sort of company/service name I don't recognize and a bunch of nonsensical letters which I assume is a transaction ID. Coast Capital could only tell me it came through BMO and that it was done in my girlfriend's name, but she has no knowledge of it. She DOES have a BMO credit card, but it's not tied to that account and she sees no record of any such transfer on her card account.

I'm probably going to tell them to return the funds but now I'm freaking out that someone has access to my our info...

OH, and I forgot, I was part of that big security breach with Canada Student Loans, but as far as I can remember I never used that account to pay my loans, only my own personal account.
Along with the info I PM'd you, you can also have your GF check with BMO too to see if they can tell what it might have been - see if they have any EFTs set up with your Coast account as the destination...or if it has anything to do with her Credit Card.

Buy/Sell/Trade Thread Updated DEC 28 2023
thebobkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #5088
Ozrein
Stunticon

Usually deposits are easily done as long as someone has a name and/or an account number. For instance if I had your name and your bank info, I could go in a make any deposit I wanted to your account. Taking money out of an account in a similar fashion is not nearly as easy and practically impossible without identification and what-not.

So you're probably safe, even if someone has some of your info, they can only deposit funds.

This is all to the best of my knowledge and not necessarily 100% accurate. I do know my parents used to go into a local branch near them and make deposits into my account for my birthdays and such without my consent ever being forwarded to the branch (and they have nothing to do with my accounts otherwise).
Old 12-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #5089
kirbenvost
Fortress Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobkat View Post
Along with the info I PM'd you, you can also have your GF check with BMO too to see if they can tell what it might have been - see if they have any EFTs set up with your Coast account as the destination...or if it has anything to do with her Credit Card.
But the weird thing is she doesn't have any account with BMO, only the credit card, so I don't know if they'd even be able to help her. Although her mom originally got the credit card for her YEARS ago, so maybe there's an attached account she doesn't even know about. Still, it shouldn't be linked to the Coast account in anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozrein View Post
Usually deposits are easily done as long as someone has a name and/or an account number. For instance if I had your name and your bank info, I could go in a make any deposit I wanted to your account. Taking money out of an account in a similar fashion is not nearly as easy and practically impossible without identification and what-not.

So you're probably safe, even if someone has some of your info, they can only deposit funds.

This is all to the best of my knowledge and not necessarily 100% accurate. I do know my parents used to go into a local branch near them and make deposits into my account for my birthdays and such without my consent ever being forwarded to the branch (and they have nothing to do with my accounts otherwise).
Yeah, I've deposited money into my Mom's account like that, although they did ask for her verbal consent.

What has me worried is that I was reading about those cheque scams where it bounces and you get held responsible for the funds AND fees on top of it, but I think that requires the scammer to actually contact you. I haven't seen much online about direct deposit scams though so hopefully I don't have to worry.

Last edited by kirbenvost; 12-13-2013 at 07:04 PM.
kirbenvost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #5090
RocketGTR
Animated

It could be something as simple as a teller typing in the wrong account number while doing a deposit for someone into another account.