Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Collections Spotlight

Old 08-13-2014, 11:43 AM   #21
laffy
Crossover
Re: New Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULTIPLEX View Post
Sorry to highjack but some first hand feedback on the lights you are discussing. I used those same Costco AA puck lights in my Detolfs and Billy book cases for several months and the performance just didn't work for me. I was spending too much money on batteries.

Admittedly, I'm a heavy user and I usually have them on for about 4-5 hour each week. The batteries drained usually after 2 or 3 weeks. I was running back to Costco buying batteries too often.

So I invested in rechargeable AAs. Certainly saved me money in the long run but I still wasn't satisfied with the light performance as the rechargeables drained a bit quicker than the Duracells, plus the light distribution didnt work well for my set up, especially in my Billy book cases. But I mean this is expected with puck lights.

So...I just returned them back to Costco and decided to go with custom LED strip lights. I kept two packages for accent lighting though. I love the remote feature.

So the moral of the story is, if you use them sparingly, these are fine, but for heavier user like me, you'll find yourself spending a lot on batteries.
what custom led lights are you using now
laffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:13 PM   #22
RageD
Energon

I would say I'm in the same ballpark, 4-5 hours a week of use. I figured same as you, if they died prematurely, I would just switch over to a fixed solution and use these for something else. For the cost, it was worth the gamble and so far so good!
Old 08-15-2014, 06:45 AM   #23
Protoman
The Legend

Like the TFcon fiction love at the top ^_^
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:27 PM   #24
RageD
Energon

For anyone Interested, We're now 6 weeks out and the puck lights are as bright as ever. No battery problems so far.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:15 AM   #25
Subroutine
Generation 1
Subroutine's Ebay Auctions

Yes, I love that you framed the Tfcon stuff. I just pinned mine to the wall like a fool.
Subroutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:41 PM   #26
RageD
Energon

For anyone following, Over 2 months with those pucks lights and haven't had to change batteries yet.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:28 AM   #27
RageD
Energon

For anyone who still gives a rat's ass, The lights are going on three months and haven't had to change the batteries yet.

They don't drain as people have speculated because of the wireless feature, that flaw has been overstated, as mine, 3 months in, are still going strong.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:52 AM   #28
RageD
Energon

FYI update, the lights have still not died. It appears the wireless feature does NOT drain the batteries when not in use and now going on month 6, they are still working fine on the first set of batteries. They are dimming a bit, so I'm assuming 6 months is about the useful life span, which is pretty great. Changing the batteries twice a year.....Can't complain really for the convenience of wireless lights.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:07 AM   #29
dingd0ng
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageD View Post
FYI update, the lights have still not died. It appears the wireless feature does NOT drain the batteries when not in use and now going on month 6, they are still working fine on the first set of batteries. They are dimming a bit, so I'm assuming 6 months is about the useful life span, which is pretty great. Changing the batteries twice a year.....Can't complain really for the convenience of wireless lights.
What are the names of these puck lights on ebay?
Old 02-09-2015, 11:22 AM   #30
RageD
Energon

Don't recall, They were the costco brand. There were two versions AAA and AA. Seems the AAA versions wore down real fast, and there were complaints about the AA versions as well, but I haven't had any problems. You don't want to run them non-stop but as accent lighting they work great.