Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > TFcon Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 10:30 PM   #11
Robimus
Iacon North Scout
Re: 2015 Dates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockout View Post
I haven't been to one bar event. I was thinking about it this year, but I do not like being around those that drink. -shrug-
The bar stuff that happens at TFcon is cool enough(like Garry Chalk playing the guitar for instance), but if it isn't really something you enjoy doing outside of the convention I don't think that it being TFcon will make it any better or worse.

I'd say to check out the bar events with a group of friends that you know, makes interacting with everyone else way easier.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Old 08-10-2014, 10:22 AM   #12
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Quote:
I haven't been to one bar event. I was thinking about it this year, but I do not like being around those that drink. -shrug-
Well, if you don't drink, that's fine, there are some people like Ninjatron who come for the social aspect but do not drink alcohol.

Then again if you don't like being around those that drink, that's a different issue.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Old 08-10-2014, 05:59 PM   #13
General Tekno
Lugnut rules!
Send a message via AIM to General Tekno Send a message via MSN to General Tekno

I don't think Protoman drinks much either - there is a virgin mixed drink on the TFcon menu specifically for people who don't want to be drinking alcohol.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:14 PM   #14
Wheeljack Off
Banned
Wheeljack Off's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Yeah, I don't drink, or club in regular life, nor in con life. I just do not like the concept of drinking, or how it makes people act. I don't think going with a group of friends would change that. They all drink, it's all close contact, people breathing on you, on your food, touching or having awkward conversations. It just isn't my thing.

We were about to suck it up and attend the karaoke but we were just too lazy and remained in the room instead. We did go to the concert though.
Remove the drinking from this statement and it really just sounds like EVERY social interaction.

I don't know how old you are or when the last time you were out at a bar but things change from high school/college.

People are still breathing and touching stuff though.

I would also imagine regardless of inebriation, at a tf collectors convention, awkward conversations abound.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:31 PM   #15
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Quote:

All I was saying, who goes to a event just to drink when you can do that at home or any other time.
No one.

That said if people want to socialize while there, drink there, play with toys there, eat there, stay in their room and watch TV there, so on, so forth - that is their business.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:51 PM   #16
Swalloweddark
Generation 2

When did this thread turn into something about drinking? Its about dates isn't it? The point is 50% of the co is mostly in the dealers are and the other 50% is just sitting around the bar/restaurant area playing with the toys bought. It isn't THAT hard to figure out. No one cares if you go or stay as everyone has their own thing. Keep in mind if your not there No one is going to miss you.

Anyways, I don't get why TF Con can't just stay on one weekend every year. Any other con stays on their same weekend EVERY YEAR and could careless if they over cross with 1, 2 or 3 cons. SDCC shouldn't effect the dates because thats only sounding as if the Bigger con is a threat to attendance. A Con, especially in two different countries, shouldn't feel threatened by any other. You loose some or gain some.

It just depends on your personal priorities. If SDCC is more important to go to then go. If its TF Con then go. Thats all it should be. There should be no reason TF Con has to work around SDCC. I always rely my decision on what the con brings to the table and what would amuse me for 3 or 4 days.

Last edited by Swalloweddark; 08-10-2014 at 11:54 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:21 AM   #17
Cliffjumper69
primebein's rival
Cliffjumper69's Ebay Auctions
Send a message via MSN to Cliffjumper69

Quote:
Who goes to an event just to drink?
Who goes to an event just to dress up in a cardboard out fit and pose for pictures? O.o
Old 08-11-2014, 12:34 AM   #18
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swalloweddark View Post

Anyways, I don't get why TF Con can't just stay on one weekend every year. Any other con stays on their same weekend EVERY YEAR and could careless if they over cross with 1, 2 or 3 cons. SDCC shouldn't effect the dates because thats only sounding as if the Bigger con is a threat to attendance. A Con, especially in two different countries, shouldn't feel threatened by any other. You loose some or gain some.
Logistically I'm sure it is easier for any convention to try and attract guests, vendors and attendees when they are not going up against another major fan convention(much less the largest fan convention in the world.)

For instance good luck attracting IDW Transformers artists to TFcon if IDW is running a meet and greet at SDCC. Many of the third party toy companies likely set up at SDCC as well.

Last edited by Robimus; 08-11-2014 at 12:40 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:49 AM   #19
FEZaid
Arabian Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swalloweddark View Post
Anyways, I don't get why TF Con can't just stay on one weekend every year. Any other con stays on their same weekend EVERY YEAR and could careless if they over cross with 1, 2 or 3 cons.
That is not true at all, conventions are always changing dates:

-SDCC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Die...ational#Events
-NYCC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Comic_Con
-Emerald City CC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_City_Comicon

Yes, conventions do try their best to stay on the same week every year, but it can be difficult because of many reasons:
- Depending on the guest's schedule, because they are busy people.
- The convention center might not be available on some dates.
- Or such as, TFcon, they are expanding with more locations and would want to divide the events through out the year, so the organizers can have enough breathing space to manage both conventions.

I have never managed a convention but have volunteered for community events and it is a difficult task, you have to be on your feet at all times and keep focus, with weeks or months of organizing. Everything I just wrote is based on observation and minor experience, so don't take my word for it.

Last edited by FEZaid; 08-11-2014 at 01:01 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:08 AM   #20
TMIIWonkoNemises
Animated
Send a message via Skype™ to TMIIWonkoNemises

My personal question regarding this Thread is why do we end up having to point out everything that is incorrect in Knockout's posts,which is almost everything?

Fez and everyone else has been correct when speaking of Con dates. Several cons, including SDCC, BotCon, and even Auto Assembly have changed their dates throughout the years. I recall that Anime North even had June years, and the off-weekends in May some time since the beginning of their run. FanExpo also had some date changes within August, and that odd year they had where they landed in September.

Also, if you are comparing to socializing in a bar at TFCon to socializing in a bar on a typical night, you are mistaken. As pointed out, there are people that don't drink at the bar and socialize with their friends and even make new ones along the way. The idea that you are being defensive on people's habits regarding drinking without even knowing them in the first place, gives me the impression that you are someone who does not socialize very often. That's fine, but TFCon is one of those conventions, where you are able to be out of your comfort zone and have wonderful experiences without any backlash. Yes there are people in TFCon who drink in some excess in the hotel, but that is not in public (But in room parties) and they are still the most friendly, kind people that I look forward to seeing every year. I can certainly tell that you are a newcomer to this convention, but please try to fit in instead of changing it to something it's not. This convention is a little different from what you're used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky Tango Foxtrot View Post
My anus is certainly not a secret toys garden, and I'm deeply offended by the insinuation!
Closed Thread