Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-24-2010, 11:00 AM   #1
Oreobuilder
Cybertron
What Comes After DoTM?

It's very early to start thinking about this, but what will be coming, toy-wise, after the movie trilogy is wrapped up? Hasbro's pattern since the movies had been to make movie toys in movie years and Classics/Universe/Generations toys in non-movie years (with some movie toys repainted as HfTD/RtS).

So, I guess what I'm wondering is, after the trilogy is wrapped up, will there still be a need to make CHUG toys? Will everything be TF:Prime related or will there be several lines/styles going at once?

I collect CHUG almost exclusively, so I would hate to see classic-inspired designs disappear completely.

What do you guys think?

OB
Oreobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
chans formers
raff ow roud
Re: What Comes After DoTM?

then comes "light side of the moon"

seriously though,i would think it would be their main focus being "prime",with a bit of c.h.u.g. peppered in here and there,just to keep interest.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
cloudhopper
Generation 2

If Transformers 3 makes, there will make another movie. All we know is that they will start a new continuity if they do. It will be interesting to see if they keep the same toy style or try to improve.
cloudhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

I am going to be completely blunt and honest with you guys.

Transformers Films have consistently raked in the big bucks. Sure RotF suffered some major backlash due to the writer's strike and certain (we'll call them 'flawed') choices by some members of the creative team.

Provided this third installment in the film franchise blows all expectations out of the water and delivers an action packed adventure that not only the general public can get behind, but we fans can live with as being great though probably not perfect because let's face it, we're fickle and nothing will ever be PERFECT to us.

Then I foresee that Hasbro most probably will consider the possibilities of further films in the franchise. Until it stops making money for them I don't see how they could ever NOT make a Live Action TF Movie now that the cat has been let out of the bag.

That being said, Cloudhopper, I doubt seriously they'll consider starting an entire different continuity. They may choose to limit the references to the first three films in their fourth installment and maybe take us off Earth to Cybertron for Movie Four, but I highly doubt they'd scrap the already invested time AND ESPECIALLY money in this franchise just to please people who have been iffy about it.

Movie design aesthetics will remain constant - it costs a lot to render them in CGI and I doubt seriously that anyone will be modifying that at any point. So no Movie 4 with G1 aesthetics or even Classics/Universe/Generations designs.

I could see them maybe considering a new director for Movie 4, with perhaps a different cast entirely for any humans involved. But I'm not too sure. Still I highly doubt that Shia LeBouf (SP?) wants to spend another twelve years or something portraying Sam Witwicky. (Provided the Live Action film franchise can pull a James Bond and last even that long.)

Heck if the rumors are true about Ray Park portraying Snake-Eyes in TF3 we could see a Joe/TF crossover done at some point. Who knows.

So it all boils down to this. Movies, probably gonna last past number 3 if 3 pulls a roll-reversal and gets the GP really interested again. Not sure how far it'll go past movie 4 if it manages to reach that far.

Movie aesthetic toys will continue to be made until Hasbro no longer earns any investment on it.

Toylines and Cartoons will take a backseat to the Movie Franchise. But will still be made perpendicular to the Movie series.

G1 managed a good five years before decline set in. We've only had three years so far of Movie related stuff, two more possibly three are all but guaranteed, provided one cruicial fact. $$$ continues to come pouring in for these things from all sides.

And like I said, there isn't going to be a Continuity Re-Boot or even a Soft Reset, because the money it takes to create the CGI characters is detrimental to such a development. So no blocky G1 goodness in Live Action any time soon. Although I would love if Hasbro would get off their duff and make a Classicsverse inspired DTDVD or two with the Classicverse toy designs being used.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
Witterquick
Unabashed Cosmos Fanboy

I would think it would be TF:Prime related stuff, along with alllllll the DotM stuff they'll push for about two years or so, some CHUG and maybe even something else, like PCC this year.
Witterquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:13 PM   #6
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

If they continue to sell well and fans continue to have an interest Hasbro will keep making them. They aren't allergic to making money.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:16 PM   #7
Mighty_Galvatron
Canadian Slag

Hopefully we will see a line based on WFC 2 next.
Mighty_Galvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #8
Sureshot22
look behind you. tee hee
Sureshot22's Ebay Auctions

ok i asked before and never saw an answer.

WTF is a CHUG collection??

PSN ID: SURESHOT22

FEEDBACK THREAD http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=9366
Sureshot22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:49 PM   #9
Ultra Maverick
The Bow Tie Guy

Classics, Henkei, Universe and Generations

I wasn't sure at first too until I ran through the series in my head
Ultra Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:49 PM   #10
chans formers
raff ow roud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureshot22 View Post
ok i asked before and never saw an answer.

WTF is a CHUG collection??
^lolz!!
don't worry bro,i was just as baffled,i thought it was something racial,but it's.....

C= classics
H= henkei
U= universe
G= generations