Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 07-27-2019, 03:35 PM   #11
ssjgoku22
Nexus Maximus
Re: MPs 45, 46 and 47 all available on Preorder @ EB Games

I paid$133 CAD for MP-45, $150 CAD for MP-46, and $180 CAD for MP-47 on Amazon Japan. EB is not going to beat those prices even with their EDGE discount. Not to mention you'll receive your figures months earlier since they're from Japan.
ssjgoku22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:35 PM   #12
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjgoku22 View Post
I paid$133 CAD for MP-45, $150 CAD for MP-46, and $180 CAD for MP-47 on Amazon Japan. EB is not going to beat those prices even with their EDGE discount. Not to mention you'll receive your figures months earlier since they're from Japan.
Not to mention these final check out prices on Amazon Japan included (pre-collected) sales tax so no more extra cost, where as the prices - 10% at EB are not. My MP-44 preorder is around $455 Cadn all in where as the Canadian MSRP is $599.99 + tax ($678 in Ontario). That 10% is not going to help. Even with the 40000-something Yen preorder price at the moment you probably will still be ahead. Same for the other MPs.

And I will get it within 3 days in Toronto after the release day in Japan.

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:48 PM   #13
positivelyken
One Man Gestalt

I switched over to buying MPs from Japanese etailers a few years ago and it's truly a game changer. Most shops will give you a preorder discount of up to 30% off, which usually more than offsets any shipping fee. Amazon Japan's price fluctuates, but they always lock in the lowest price between when you place your order and when it ships.
positivelyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:21 PM   #14
Magnus
City Commander
Send a message via MSN to Magnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by positivelyken View Post
I switched over to buying MPs from Japanese etailers a few years ago and it's truly a game changer. Most shops will give you a preorder discount of up to 30% off, which usually more than offsets any shipping fee. Amazon Japan's price fluctuates, but they always lock in the lowest price between when you place your order and when it ships.
Don't you get slammed at customs though?
Earthrise - Centurion Drone set, Thrust, Runabout
Kingdom - GS Galvatron, Road Rage
Masterpiece - MP-19+ Smokescreen, MP-20+ Wheeljack, MP-39+ Spinout
3P: MMC Commotus

"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy - okay, give me the bomb." - Ultra Magnus

My feedback thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...ghlight=Magnus
Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:53 PM   #15
positivelyken
One Man Gestalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
I've only rarely been hit by customs on an international shipment. The last time I can recall was on a BBTS order from the U.S. Others might've had a different experience though.

Amazon Japan charges an import fees deposit, but they'll refund you the difference if the actual customs fees are less than the estimated amount.
positivelyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:24 PM   #16
Magnus
City Commander
Send a message via MSN to Magnus

Quote:
I've only rarely been hit by customs on an international shipment. The last time I can recall was on a BBTS order from the U.S. Others might've had a different experience though.

Amazon Japan charges an import fees deposit, but they'll refund you the difference if the actual customs fees are less than the estimated amount.
Thanks for the heads up. Do you order strictly from Amazon or do you use other Japanese etailers as well? Like Robot Kingdom, Nippon-Yasan, etc?
Earthrise - Centurion Drone set, Thrust, Runabout
Kingdom - GS Galvatron, Road Rage
Masterpiece - MP-19+ Smokescreen, MP-20+ Wheeljack, MP-39+ Spinout
3P: MMC Commotus

"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy - okay, give me the bomb." - Ultra Magnus

My feedback thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...ghlight=Magnus
Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:22 PM   #17
RocketGTR
Animated

Quote:

You also avoid the $10 handling fee that Canada Post charges.

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. Do you order strictly from Amazon or do you use other Japanese etailers as well? Like Robot Kingdom, Nippon-Yasan, etc?
Nippon-Yasan under values their declaration so you'll never be charged taxes. They offer lower prices (at preorder) but charge higher shipping rates. So they're about the same price as Amazon JP at the end of the day if you use their EMS shipping. A touch cheaper with SAL shipping. But with Amazon, your item gets shipped right away. N-Y may take several business days to ship out once the item is released.

Others like Amiami and HLJ will declare full value so YMMV with getting hit by customs.

As a side note, Amazon Japan will allow you a few weeks/months usually to cancel your preorder. Other Japanese retailers don't give you that option.

I've ordered two items and instead they added only 600 yen to the shipping for a total of 1800 instead of 2400 for two orders. Haven't ordered more than 2 at a time yet though.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:34 PM   #18
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Everything is paid upfront with amazon japan including any customs fee. So you are never slammed with a nasty customs surprise. It is the cheapest way to get any wide release Takara mp.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:43 PM   #19
nuropa
Robot in Disguise

Amazon Japan shipping is fast, Japan to Vancouver in 2 days with DHL Express
nuropa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 03:55 AM   #20
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

Quote:
No, Amazon Japan withholds tax on all orders so no “surprise”, and it is still cheaper. Anything sold & shipped by AJ is via DHL (2 ~ 3 days to Toronto).

Others like AmiAmi, HLJ, Anime-Export, etc. is a crapshot with Japan Post/CanadaPost but lately I have been lucky. As a rule anything under $100 or so is almost a guarantee but anything over is a crapshot. But if you ship by courier like DHL or FedEx you will 100% of the time no matter the cost.

Do not ship by Registered post from Japan because you can’t track it in Canada via CanadaPost, and Japan Post tracking only goes as far as the shipment leaving Japan. It is usually not much cheaper. SAL takes forever. Air parcel is ok on small item/order. I usually end up using EMS.

Most Amazon preorders allow cancellation up until ship date but there are items that do have an early cancellation deadline (not on MPs so far). HLJ allows cancellation, too. Others don’t. You can ignore payment request from AmiAmi but they may ban you. Anime-Export requires up front payment on all preorders, and Nippon-Yasan needs it on exclusives (TakaraTomy Mall, Tamashii Web, etc) & items of high demand (not MPs).

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately

Last edited by QuadESL63; 08-01-2019 at 04:18 AM.
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote