Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Collections Spotlight

Old 10-11-2011, 02:42 AM   #1
Ninjatron
Overlord of all Ninjas
How did this happen???

I assure you all, I am not one of those "Mint in Package" collectors. But when I thought I was going to move a few years ago, I packed my collection away and stopped opening anything new I bought due to the uncertainty at the time. That seemed like a good idea, but the move did not go through and I kept collecting anyway so it kind of spiraled into, well, this:

There are things going all the way back to Energon here but these were all acquired within the past 3 years, so I haven't been hoarding them for that long. In fact, much of this is just from the past year or two, and a lot of this was purchased for below retail prices. I have purchased second hand loose toys as well, so it's not like I wanted this to happen.

I'm a little disapointed that it got to this point, as I was always one of those open toy advocates. But I have to say that it's actually been a lot of fun to collect and display these boxed toys. I can't explain why, but I've enjoyed it. Having these on my shelves in my office made for a cool set up when everything I had before was packed up for the move.

Now, as it turns out, I am moving in a few weeks so I will have to open most of this stuff just to save space. I figured it would be cool to take some photos of everything before I dug in. It's going to be like Christmas morning every day for awhile.

So, what should I open first?

Sayonara.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:00 AM   #2
Hobbyist Prime
King of the Scratchbuild
Hobbyist Prime's Ebay Auctions
Re: How did this happen???

NICE!!!!!!!!! I think you should close your eyes and grab. Kinda like your own secret Santa
Hobbyist Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:26 AM   #3
astrana
Nexus Maximus

good for you
astrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:49 AM   #4
Hylo
Banned

I don't think you should ruin a good thing, that's the best way to enjoy them, all minty fresh in boxes.
Hylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:23 AM   #5
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

they cry for freedom. i think you should only open one at a time on a set time frame, like once per week. that way you can just greatly appreciate each one for everything they have to offer and it won't seem like package anarchy and carnage.

plus, in the end it'll save on space.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #6
chovner
Titanium
chovner's Ebay Auctions

If your plan is to save on space then that opening all your Leaders one or two a day.
chovner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:19 PM   #7
Metroplex79
Little Guy with Firepower
Talking Re: How did this happen???

IMO...

Many of those deserved to be opened and played with. While some deserve to stay in package as you may not enjoy the play value.

But either way, take a few more pics to keep a record of a point in time where you became a "MOSC/MISB" collector.

ie...bury yourself under a pile of figures "being crushed" and take a few pics.

A team that's only a shell of its former self
Savage Blitzkrieg Squad [MIC]

Metroplex79 is a good and safe city to do business in!!! Take the tour.
These people stopped by:
Cybertron.ca feedback thread

New and old buyers welcome here:
Cybertron.ca sales thread
[CONTINUING POST-TFCON UPDATE]
(last update: Feb 12/14 @ 9:15am EST, slight edit)
Metroplex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
Ninjatron
Overlord of all Ninjas

Here are some more pictures of the deluxes I acquired. If I counted correctly there are 99 of them.

Of course I hope everyone understands that these photos are staged. I didn't keep everything spread out on the floor or piled up against the wall this entire time.

Sayonara.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #9
gagagalvatron
Half psychotic

This has happened to me twice. Not quite so impressive, but not just a few, either.

My usual mindset is to buy things as I find them at prices I want to spend, then open them slowly. One at a time, once per week. But some weeks I'll forget or acquisitions outpace openings.

Last time, I had a huge hoard of stuff in my closet, all of which I had to open before moving. This is actually *not* the way to do it, as it feels really rushed.

And yet, I seem to be at it again. My main Transformer room is downstairs in the basement, but I keep a bunch of unopened ones in my upstairs walk-in closet. But now there's been some in-packaging creep downstairs, too, as I now have an area of unopened ones there.

I just like looking at them in package. Not forever, mind you, since I don't see how you can enjoy a Transformer that you never transform. But I enjoy walking into my closet to pick out clothes and staring at the line of unopened Transformers.

Maybe it's compensation for all the times I go into Wal-Mart/Zellers/Wherever and see the unexciting same-old-same-olds or nothing. It's great to have a spread of stuff that I find exciting, to increase the anticipation before I actually open something.

Enjoy it! Personally, I'd start with Leader Starscream. I had to open him before we moved, and I still haven't given him the attention or the savoring he deserves.
gagagalvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:24 PM   #10
Ninjatron
Overlord of all Ninjas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagagalvatron View Post
Last time, I had a huge hoard of stuff in my closet, all of which I had to open before moving. This is actually *not* the way to do it, as it feels really rushed
Basically this is my situation as well. I'll be moving in about 2 weeks from now. I don't want to rush, but I let it all happen and there's not much I can do about it now.

But I agree with you about how fun it has been just to collect the packaged toys. There's just something cool about seeing them all together, buying more and trying to find room for them, getting new aquisitions in the mail from assorted lines with different packaging... I don't know, it doesn't make any sense when you consider what sets Transformers apart from other toy lines, but for some reason it grew on me (and clearly my collection grew with it).

Even though I do have to rush through opening them, I'll still have a chance to enjoy them more once I move into a new house. They won't be boxed up forever.

It would make sense to open up the Leader class figures first, though I'm not sure that I will. Maybe they will travel better if I leave them in their boxes for now. Still thinking about how to go about doing this. So any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Sayonara.