Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 09-07-2016, 01:07 PM   #11
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions
Re: Unite warriors Computron

Pics. Kept screwing up uploading all 7 at once so I did it individually.

EDIT: why are you all sideways??? /Fail
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160907_011906.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	34716   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160907_011915.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	34717   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160907_011929.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	34718   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160907_011935.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	34719   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160907_011943.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	34720  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160907_011948.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	34721   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160907_014804.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	34722  

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"

Last edited by RNSrobot; 09-07-2016 at 01:45 PM.
RNSrobot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:48 PM   #12
WereDragon EX
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wervenom View Post
I double dipped and yes both have their merits but with the exception of the hands and feet I would have to agree that Takaras blows Hasbro out of the water if you are a animation accurate type of collector. If not then it may not make that much of a diiference
But on the other hand, if you prefer G1 toy accuracy, then I'm more inclined to say Hasbro's Computron is better than Takara's. Also, Hasbro's Computron is animation accurate to the Combiner Wars Machinima cartoon, so that's a thing. Because of that, now I can get away with saying Hasbro's Computron is technically screen-accurate, lol. The funny thing is that this debate doesn't really exist for me at all, since I own both Computrons.

Last edited by WereDragon EX; 09-07-2016 at 04:51 PM.
WereDragon EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:57 PM   #13
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereDragon EX View Post
But on the other hand, if you prefer G1 toy accuracy, then I'm more inclined to say Hasbro's Computron is better than Takara's. Also, Hasbro's Computron is animation accurate to the Combiner Wars Machinima cartoon, so that's a thing. Because of that, now I can get away with saying Hasbro's Computron is technically screen-accurate, lol. The funny thing is that this debate doesn't really exist for me at all, since I own both Computrons.
That's one if my gripes with cw. I tend to prefer Hasbro's more toy based decos --- but the technobots have some baffling techno choices that wreck bring either toy or screen accurate. The garish red on scattorshot makes no sense and worse, looks bad.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:05 PM   #14
WereDragon EX
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
That's one if my gripes with cw. I tend to prefer Hasbro's more toy based decos --- but the technobots have some baffling techno choices that wreck bring either toy or screen accurate. The garish red on scattorshot makes no sense and worse, looks bad.
Well, Hasbro did say that their design philosophy was to look to the future of the character rather than slavishly copying the past, and it shows given that their Computron is accurate to the Combiner Wars cartoon. Ergo, Hasbro may thinks Computron should look that way from now on, and may appear as such in IDW if he shows up there. I actually like Hasbro Scattershot's colors, but I'll give you the point on it not being very accurate to the G1 toy. For me though, I'm pretty impressed with how Hasbro was able to put out a decently serviceable Computron in the timeframe they had, despite not planning to do one initially, and I guess that made me appreciate the Hasbro Computron for what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhammer View Post
I'll agree that Hasbro wins on the hands and feet for their Computron, but that would be about it for me. Takara's Rook retool for Nosecone works a hell of a lot better for me than Hasbro's Brawl retool (which strikes me as a very lazy, half-assed one at that), and while I agree Hasbro's Strafe is strong, Takara's is better. And I prefer an accurate combiner head rather than just the straight repaint of Superion. I don't particularly have any strong attachment to Scrounge as a character, so I don't mind missing out on him. And I've been a Hasbro man on CW until now. Hell, I'm a Hasbro man on mostly everything because importing Takara figures gets expensive. But Computron I think, would be worth the investment.

I'm also hoping Hasbro is planning on releasing their own version of UW Blast Off next May. They've done it for every other UW exclusive so far...
The head aside, I quite like Hasbro's Nosecone because I think its robot mode is more G1 toy accurate with the tread arms and whatnot. And honestly, I also like Hasbro's Strafe better than Takara's because of his ability to interact with Scrounge and Cybaxx. I like the thought that Strafe in robot mode could mount Scrounge in UFO/wheel mode on his back and maybe launch him at a Decepticon as a flying disc of death (I probably got that thought from all those Minicon deployers in RID). And also, Hasbro Computron's head is technically accurate to the Combiner Wars cartoon, so there's your screen and toy accuracy.

Last edited by WereDragon EX; 09-07-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:07 PM   #15
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Well, Hasbro did say that their design philosophy was to look to the future of the character rather than slavishly copying the past, and it shows given that their Computron is accurate to the Combiner Wars cartoon. Ergo, Hasbro may thinks Computron should look that way from now on, and may appear as such in IDW if he shows up there. I actually like Hasbro Scattershot's colors, but I'll give you the point on it not being very accurate to the G1 toy. For me though, I'm pretty impressed with how Hasbro was able to put out a decently serviceable Computron in the timeframe they had, despite not planning to do one initially, and I guess that made me appreciate the Hasbro Computron for what it is.

The head aside, I quite like Hasbro's Nosecone because I think its robot mode is more G1 toy accurate with the tread arms and whatnot. And honestly, I also like Hasbro's Strafe better than Takara's because of his ability to interact with Scrounge and Cybaxx. I like the thought that Strafe in robot mode could mount Scrounge in UFO/wheel mode on his back and maybe launch him at a Decepticon as a flying disc of death (I probably got that thought from all those Minicon deployers in RID). And also, Hasbro Computron's head is technically accurate to the Combiner Wars cartoon, so there's your screen and toy accuracy.
That's a very point above. I'm absolutely not opposed to doing a new color scheme or deco; I'm hardly slavish to gee wun. Scattorshot imo simply looks bad. The reds clash, awfully. All the limbs I can appreciate somebody preferring Hasbro over Takara in some fashion. I agree that Hasbro nosecone looks very good.

For the record, this is my only uw combiner (excluding devy). I'm not fussed by "toon accurate," particularly when that choice leads to ugly toys (uw drag strip). Across the board I've preferred hasbro's decos and choices. This is the exception... A big exception.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:14 PM   #16
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Well that's just it. No secret that Hasbro is going for toy accuracy as opposed to Takara going for animation. It all depends on what you like. Me I love the cartoon, always have and always will and the closer a figure can get to what I remember that's good enough for me. The only thing I can say as to why I got the Hasbro was lack of patience, a really good deal and the fact that I knew I would sell the Scrounge/Cybaxx combo the second I brought it home. Now I have what Hasbro originally referred to as Betatron (para-phrasing I know) and Computron. If I really need to have "Betatron" have a circle of death I'll string Cosmos up there lol.

Last edited by wervenom; 09-07-2016 at 06:18 PM.
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:02 AM   #17
WereDragon EX
Robot Master

Quote:
That's a very point above. I'm absolutely not opposed to doing a new color scheme or deco; I'm hardly slavish to gee wun. Scattorshot imo simply looks bad. The reds clash, awfully. All the limbs I can appreciate somebody preferring Hasbro over Takara in some fashion. I agree that Hasbro nosecone looks very good.

For the record, this is my only uw combiner (excluding devy). I'm not fussed by "toon accurate," particularly when that choice leads to ugly toys (uw drag strip). Across the board I've preferred hasbro's decos and choices. This is the exception... A big exception.
I have some leanings towards G1 accuracy, but I don't need everything to be 100% accurate to it, since I know that Classics and Generations are about reinterpreting those characters for both nostalgia fans and a new generation of kids.

I have an appreciation for all of the Hasbro Computron components for what they are, even Lightspeed, since I think it did a generally better job with replicating the G1 toy as well. I like Hasbro's Nosecone as well because you can mount the drill on either end of the turret in tank mode for a different look depening on your mood. I love it when toys give you options like that.

Given that Hasbro and Takara's versions of toys are often the same, with deco being different, I usually buy Hasbro's because it is cheaper and I'm not very fussy about decos anyway (which may explain why I don't mind Hasbro Scattershot's color layout). I know that the IDW comic universe has a significant influence on Hasbro's design process for Combiner Wars, so whan I first saw Hasbro's Computron, I didn't dismiss it for "inaccuracy" since I figured IDW has something to do with things like the reused Superion head. I guess I was somewhat proven right when the Combiner Wars cartoon aired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wervenom View Post
Well that's just it. No secret that Hasbro is going for toy accuracy as opposed to Takara going for animation. It all depends on what you like. Me I love the cartoon, always have and always will and the closer a figure can get to what I remember that's good enough for me. The only thing I can say as to why I got the Hasbro was lack of patience, a really good deal and the fact that I knew I would sell the Scrounge/Cybaxx combo the second I brought it home. Now I have what Hasbro originally referred to as Betatron (para-phrasing I know) and Computron. If I really need to have "Betatron" have a circle of death I'll string Cosmos up there lol.
I'm not fussy about deco, really, by it toy or cartoon. The only reason I double dipped was because of how radically different both versions of Computron were, otherwise, I wouldn't have done it. The Hasbro Computron is very close to Computron's appearance in the Combiner Wars cartoon, and that's pretty good in my books.

To be honest, I never bought any figure in the Optimus Maximus wave and briefly contemplated getting them so I could form Betatron (in the configuration found on the back of the solo Scattershot's box) for lolz, but I couldn't justify the cost to my wallet in doing so. In any case, I see both Computrons as "Computron", not "Betatron". To me, Betatron is the gestalt formed from Scattershot, Sunstreaker, Prowl, Ironhide, and Mirage. Anyway, regarding Cosmos, one problem with your plan is that he won't fit on the Hasbro Strafe's peg. The hold on the bottom of Cosmos' UFO mode was widened slightly when the toy was retooled into Scrounge to allow for that compatibility, so you'll have to make a similar modification if you want to do that.

Finally, another thing I love about Scattershot is how he can assume a convincing cannon fanmode (as seen here: https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1489/2...4fe665d2_b.jpg), and I don't think the other CW/UW gestalt leader figures can be readily transformed into their G1 third modes by fans.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:10 AM   #18
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:

I'm not fussy about deco, really, by it toy or cartoon. The only reason I double dipped was because of how radically different both versions of Computron were, otherwise, I wouldn't have done it. The Hasbro Computron is very close to Computron's appearance in the Combiner Wars cartoon, and that's pretty good in my books.
Heh. In IDW, Lightspeed, Afterburner, and Groove are all dead.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:43 AM   #19
WereDragon EX
Robot Master

Quote:
Heh. In IDW, Lightspeed, Afterburner, and Groove are all dead.
Pretty sure all the Protectobots, including Groove, are still alive. And if Onslaught is going to do what I think he's going to do, being dead or at least brain-dead seems to be no obstacle to a Transformer being integrated into a combiner anyway.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:56 AM   #20
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Pretty sure all the Protectobots, including Groove, are still alive. And if Onslaught is going to do what I think he's going to do, being dead or at least brain-dead seems to be no obstacle to a Transformer being integrated into a combiner anyway.
Yeah, the protectobots became defensor in the combiner wars crossover. Last we saw, they had again left Cybertron to return to the list light. And it sure seems clear that onslaught and the combaticons are going to become Bruticus with a brain-dead swindle... I mean, he has the enigma. It's obvious as efffff. And awesome, can't wait for IDW Bruticus. Loving the combaticons in til all are one!

Lightspeed and afterburner were incinerated in the Kimia onslaught (sacrificing themselves to stop the cons from using Kimia as a doomsday weapon). Nosecone was, um, eaten by the sweeps in said assault.

I don't think they're coming back.

(Strafe is aboard the lost light on the security team. According the wiki, scattorshot has only made two small cameos since waaaay back when spotlights were a regular thing!)

Anyway, uw Computron is still amazing.