Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-27-2019, 08:03 PM   #211
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..
Re: haslab unicron

Why I've decided to back HasLabs Unicron

10 reasons:

1. I honestly believe this is a rare opportunity...I won't go so far as to say "once in a lifetime", but I'm pretty sure projects of this scope aren't going to happen often, if ever.
2. I loved the '86 movie. I can definitely see how fans more dedicated to Season 1/2 would pass on this...I get it. But for me, the movie was a significant aspect of the franchise, so to have something of this size in hand is going to be (hopefully) awesome
3. I believe in the project. I can see why some people think the price is high, Hasbro is seeking major profit, etc. But I respectfully disagree: I used to design plastic parts for tooling, and I am actually not at all surprised at the funds needed. Also, these projects are very high risk, can you imagine going to a board of directors (of a publicly traded company no less) and risk a couple million dollars in tooling and unsaid amounts of design/engineering/marketing time on a product that would end up heavily discounted on TRU shelves? I just don't see how this would be feasible without crowdfunding in today's tough corporate environment. And let's say they somehow do profit from it...do I care? Let them profit! More cool stuff for us guys...profit is good!
4. I like the design. Is it perfect? No. Is it shell former? Yes. But will I care when I surround him with Legends figures and bristle at a scale that was previously unimaginable? Yes! Will I display in Planet mode from time to time? Yes, because it looks like the ease of transformation will be 'reasonable'. And the detail...my gawd the detail...it's simply stunning.
5. It's so ridiculous...like, a real conversation starter. Total shock value. It is the epitome of excess, and I'm ok with that (in this case)
6. I have spent this kind of money before. You know, I was adding up what I've invested in 3rd party combiners, and they were more expensive! The difference was I was able to spread them out over the course of a year...so admittedly, HasLab has me struggling to come up with the cash for this...but I'm pretty much there..and I'm gonna do it.
7. I think my marriage will survive it. I keep checking in with the wife. She's "not going to stop it as long as it's in my budget". Yeah, I think it will work out...I hope...
8. I respect Hasbro, the designers, and the product team. Again, due to the kind of work I do, I have an idea of what's involved here...and it's not easy, not at all. Hasbro has been really, really, catering to collectors...without question, putting effort into our wildest dreams. And I gotta say I'm impressed...like really impressed.
9. The photo opportunities. Oh yes, that's gonna be fun.
10. Possible Unicron party when it arrives? Worth a celebration, if/when it comes to light.

I get it, it's not for everyone. But I wanted to share my point of view...maybe there are others on the fence? Make sure you consider it one last time before time is up, everyone.

Enjoy it. Life is short.
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:42 AM   #212
SleeplessKnight
Robot in Disguise

One reason why I backed Haslab Unicron.

1) I want it.

The end.
My Sales Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=20919

My Feedback Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=21836
SleeplessKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:41 AM   #213
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

It is not a lot of money these days to be honest. I just have committed to other stuffs and the deadline is a couple of days away...

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:34 AM   #214
steamwhistle
Crossover

Is Unicron about the same size as Omega Supreme then??
steamwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:19 AM   #215
General Tekno
Lugnut rules!
Send a message via AIM to General Tekno Send a message via MSN to General Tekno

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamwhistle View Post
Is Unicron about the same size as Omega Supreme then??
Bigger. Omega's under 2 feet; Unicron is 27" tall (and wider even, because of the wingspan)
Old 08-28-2019, 10:32 AM   #216
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessKnight View Post

1) I want it.

The end.
rimelaugh:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echotransformer View Post
Why I've decided to back HasLabs Unicron

as long as it's in my budget".
Really, key point. There are people backing it who are also freaking out that they really can't or shouldn't be spending the money on it right now.

"It's not a lot of money nowadays" somebody said in this thread. I'... what? Man, I guess you make some good dough because that's a half month's rent. I can't afford the Switch I want right now, and I'll get way more use out of that. For some of us, a lot of us, it just isn't it.

It concerns me more and more that a lot of collectors don't actually DO budgets. This is your toy money. If you can't afford something, don't. But people max their credit cards and hustle and develop anxiety and stress if they can't get everything they want... This isn't a hypothetical. It's a real thing I've encountered locally and on forums. Hell, I went through it somewhat in my life --- thankfully not to an extent that damaged me or left me unable to pay the necessaries of life.

I have philosophical and ethical problems with the crowdfunding aspect of the project. I don't have the same objections to, say, the new MP Prime. I think he's ludicrously expensive but hey, if you can afford it and it's in your budget, knock yourself out.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:22 PM   #217
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
rimelaugh:

Really, key point. There are people backing it who are also freaking out that they really can't or shouldn't be spending the money on it right now.

"It's not a lot of money nowadays" somebody said in this thread. I'... what? Man, I guess you make some good dough because that's a half month's rent. I can't afford the Switch I want right now, and I'll get way more use out of that. For some of us, a lot of us, it just isn't it.

It concerns me more and more that a lot of collectors don't actually DO budgets. This is your toy money. If you can't afford something, don't. But people max their credit cards and hustle and develop anxiety and stress if they can't get everything they want... This isn't a hypothetical. It's a real thing I've encountered locally and on forums. Hell, I went through it somewhat in my life --- thankfully not to an extent that damaged me or left me unable to pay the necessaries of life.

I have philosophical and ethical problems with the crowdfunding aspect of the project. I don't have the same objections to, say, the new MP Prime. I think he's ludicrously expensive but hey, if you can afford it and it's in your budget, knock yourself out.
True, there are those who don’t have a sense of budget. But there are a lot of collectors 40 and up who don’t have a mortgage and don’t have to pay rent anymore, and they are financially stable (good career/business prospects, investments, etc) and can have more discretionary spending on nice stuffs. Add to that people from emerging markets that can now afford toys and what not (think China... there are 13000000 1%’er in China and if 10% of those are into TFs...). High end figures sells because of them. It sucks to be the rest of the population but such is life.

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 03:44 PM   #218
Omegatron
Gen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadESL63 View Post
True, there are those who don’t have a sense of budget. But there are a lot of collectors 40 and up who don’t have a mortgage and don’t have to pay rent anymore, and they are financially stable (good career/business prospects, investments, etc) and can have more discretionary spending on nice stuffs.
I actually can't disagree with this and was thinking much the same thing, it certainly describes me well.

I do budget but am not obsessive about it because my Transformers purchases (while still far higher than they should be), are still a small percentage of my overall expenses. One of the few advantages of getting older.

I think what this Unicron project might be telling us is that there are fewer of us old G1 guys (and Gals), than we thought.
Omegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:03 PM   #219
Zenith27
Woodward's G1 lurker

For me it's a little about price, a lot about space. With Metroplex, Trypticon, Fort Max, Omega Supreme, Jetfire and all the combiners, where would I put Unicron? It's easy to draw the line for me when something is so big.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:34 PM   #220
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessKnight View Post

1) I want it.

The end.

Quote:
It is not a lot of money these days to be honest. I just have committed to other stuffs and the deadline is a couple of days away...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
rimelaugh:

Quote:
True, there are those who don’t have a sense of budget. But there are a lot of collectors 40 and up who don’t have a mortgage and don’t have to pay rent anymore, and they are financially stable (good career/business prospects, investments, etc) and can have more discretionary spending on nice stuffs. Add to that people from emerging markets that can now afford toys and what not (think China... there are 13000000 1%’er in China and if 10% of those are into TFs...). High end figures sells because of them. It sucks to be the rest of the population but such is life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegatron View Post
I actually can't disagree with this and was thinking much the same thing, it certainly describes me well.

I do budget but am not obsessive about it because my Transformers purchases (while still far higher than they should be), are still a small percentage of my overall expenses. One of the few advantages of getting older.

I think what this Unicron project might be telling us is that there are fewer of us old G1 guys (and Gals), than we thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith27 View Post
For me it's a little about price, a lot about space. With Metroplex, Trypticon, Fort Max, Omega Supreme, Jetfire and all the combiners, where would I put Unicron? It's easy to draw the line for me when something is so big.
I agree with, understand and respect all of these points. I wanted to be sure to post from my perspective only, as I can imagine most people on this thread have had a long thought about this one.

In terms of cost: This is not an easy item to swing, especially on short notice...for...like...just about anyone, IMHO. I do see a fair number of people getting the 3rd party combiners, but the cash FLOW for getting those is typically easier the more I think about it.

I did budget for it, and sold some stuff to help get there. One of the key things I did was sell NON TF stuff this time around, which helped because summer isn't great for selling TFs.

Either way, I'm really not sure it's going to get backed..I am still hopeful, but only a couple days and 3000 to go feels like a stretch. Sigh.
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote