Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Canadian Transformers News

Old 03-10-2018, 02:35 PM   #1
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon
Toys “R” Us continues normal business operations across Canada

With the news that Toys"R"Us in the United States is closing, the Toys"R"Us Canada facebook page lets us know that Toys"R"Us Canada will continue normal business operations across Canada.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toysrus-1520623037-2086.jpg
Views:	899
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	39110  
Old 03-10-2018, 02:35 PM   #2
chaingunsofdoom
Wrecker
Toys “R” Us continues normal business operations across Canada

Latest from Financial Post today:

http://business.financialpost.com/ne...certain-future
chaingunsofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:04 PM   #3
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus
Re: TRU Canada: Spun-off, sold, or transferred?

Toy's-R-Us looks like a warehouse because they have the Costco design of retail brick&mortar, it's been that way for as long as I can remember.

I suspect they may have wanted to change their image slightly, but considering they are saddled with the large buildings and limited options for changing locations in a centralized fashion the store layout stays pretty much the same because Toy's-R-Us remains warehouse looking despite having shrunk their shelving layouts considerably since the early days.

Transformers used to be an entire dedicated aisle that was at least a half a block long or something...

Personally I think it would be interesting to see a different company take charge of TRU and if they make changes. I hope the costs won't rise too crazily, but who can say really.

If they take some of that huge space of theirs and make it more child adventure friendly with an area for play and stuff it might draw more in. The entire back section of the store is dedicated to a lot of empty space, I mean there's bikes and outdoor play facilities and stuff, but I rarely venture back there and can't recall just how much of that space is used effectively or not.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:09 PM   #4
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Good read. Thanks for sharing
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:02 PM   #5
Scowly Prowl
Calculating variables...

I think TRU will find a Canadian operator. The business model is different, and retail is different here than in the US.
Scowly Prowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:17 PM   #6
Msol
Titanium

My local TRU just had a massive expansion and is always crazy-busy. I don't see how it can shut down.
Msol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:26 PM   #7
pandaprime
aficionado!

TRU Canada needs to maintain stock levels or improve them to continue staying in business. Customers cannot buy product that's not available on the shelf. Seems like only LEGO really gets that aspect. I keep hearing LEGO sells really well in TRU but rarely see non-full shelves of their items.

I try to remain hopeful TRU Canada can be saved by someone with deep pockets eh

Feedback thread:Cybertron.ca
Items for sale thread: Selling TFs
pandaprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:43 PM   #8
General Tekno
Lugnut rules!
Send a message via AIM to General Tekno Send a message via MSN to General Tekno

I gotta imagine TRU Canada's financials are appealing enough for someone to want to buy them, given they're profitable.

Buying power IS in fact a good and valid question but the fact that they're one of the few games in town for Hasbro/Mattel/smaller companies to get their product out reliably actually gives them a bit of a leg up in negociation. Like, the ONLY other real competition for them in the dedicated toy retail market is Mastermind Toys and they carry very different product.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:51 PM   #9
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaprime View Post
TRU Canada needs to maintain stock levels or improve them to continue staying in business. Customers cannot buy product that's not available on the shelf. Seems like only LEGO really gets that aspect. I keep hearing LEGO sells really well in TRU but rarely see non-full shelves of their items.

I try to remain hopeful TRU Canada can be saved by someone with deep pockets eh
Honestly, I don't see a stocking problem, I see a clutter problem. Hasbro needs to stop sticking shit toys onto the market at shit prices.

Those Crash Combiners are pretty fun and would make excellent allowance toys for kids, but they are 25$ a pop and what the hell plastic levels are in these things to justify that MSRP? I honestly haven't picked any up because they seem to be too pricey for what you are actually getting.

If they were 10 or 12$ items they'd move faster and wouldn't hang around so often because kids could actually afford it with their allowances, or gift money, as I mentioned.

Another thing, Movie toys, they are priced higher than anything else for what you're getting and just are NOT moveing. I seriously won't touch those figures and I can't imagine a lot of parents have been buying them at full retail.

Then you've got your plethora of kiddie crap in the Marvel section that... while it might be selling, there is just TOO much product at any given time. Make a dedicated Marvel Franchise theme, stick your movie products into it and refresh the packaging every few months when the next film hits and you would probably see a better turnover rate on those figures.

Stop diversifying so much, that's why TRU stock seems to always be the same, because it's always the same junk that isn't selling while stuff like Black Series or Marvel Legends will move out pretty quickly most figures leaving only the uninspired crap that nobody wants.

TRU has no real problem getting stock in, it's just the stuff that sells out so fast leaving behind the left overs and them taking longer than Wal-Mart to clearing out those unsellable items because, well two reasons really.

1) The not-having unsightly empty shelf policy.
2) This in turn leads to the lack of clearance out of such products because of the 'we have the space and don't really need to push it out for new stuff' mentality because they are a dedicated toy seller and keeping older stock around looks good on paper.

As far as LEGO is concerned, I can believe it. They consistently have 25+% off sales, keep stock far longer than Wal-Mart so you're always guaranteed the big ticket Marvel, Star Wars, NINJAGO, City or what-have-you LEGO product theme you're looking for, and they are often having great deals on spend so much get this item free, which is part of working so closely with LEGO.

They have an entire month dedicated to this, it's called Bricktober and they often make huge profits based on it alone seeing as how there's always huge lines and people going for the LEGO products.

I firmly believe TRU in Canada could outlast this tough time, they would only need to make a few changes and incorporate some more modern selling techniques and they could keep going strong as a brand without issue. Hell if all of the stores in the States closed we'd have cross-boarder shoppers coming to OUR Toy's-R-Us stores to get the big ticket items, especially if Hasbro sold exclusives through TRU Canada.

If I had the capital I might go in on such an investment with like-minded folks. The toy industry may be showing its age, but that doesn't mean it's going to die out. Physical products of some sort are still pretty big in a kids eyes, and Toy's-R-Us is one of the only stops to make for some of these items.

Granted it might not be around forever, but it certainly should still be around in the rest of my lifetime. Unless something threatens the toy industry just as the video game market was threatened back in the day, but then that thing is still around and going pretty strongly, so... yeah.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:02 PM   #10
Wheelwave
Cybertron

Just keep supporting the store in anyway. It is our only large Toy Store now.

Nothing
Wheelwave is offline   Reply With Quote