Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > TFcon Discussion

Old 07-17-2017, 01:59 PM   #11
Jones
Machine War
Re: TFcon Toronto 2017 Feedback Thread

Here's my two cents...

Good:

• Dealer room was much easier to get around in this year. Not sure if it was because attendance was down, or because aisles were wider since they had the additional dealer room space opened up, but it was nice to walk with ease around the dealers.

• Tons and tons and tons of Masterpiece and 3P products, and many dealers offering very fair prices. Picked up the elusive Fanstoys Spotter to finish off my '84 Decepticon series 1 cast shelf. Also got XTB Krank (Huffer) at a fantastic deal from the KFC booth.

• People were just as friendly and awesome as always! Had lots of laughs and finally met the legendary Guber after attending for 6 years and missing the chance every time. Good to meet you, Guber! You're a super nice guy.

Bad:

• The food at Quest Bar this year was just 'ok'. It's been far better. I had the poutine, same as I did last year for lunch, and it was not nearly as good. Fries were cold and gravy looked like it had been sitting under a heat lamp for a half hour. Not impressed.

• Like I said, MP and 3P selection was fantastic, but where was all the other stuff this year? Did not nearly see as much movie line & generations product as we have in years past. I get that it's just what the dealers bring with them, but it was unusual compared to previous years.

• Was confused about the group fan photo that was planned for 6:20pm on Saturday. Was looking forward to finally being able to take part in this, after missing out every other time I've attended, but 6:20 came and went and there was no word on when or where it was happening. Even asked some of the volunteer crew, and they didn't know. Not sure if this was scrapped, or I just missed it, but it was disappointing.

As always though, the day was a lot of fun. Got the things I was hunting for, met some great people, had some laughs, and enjoyed the panels. I'm looking forward to TFCON 2018 already!
Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:04 PM   #12
freakx2001
Transformers Animated
freakx2001's Ebay Auctions

Glad I was able to attend another TFcon, I think this was my 5th?. Just a couple of quick comments both ways.

First like others I wasn't a fan of several tables charging in American. I understand why they were doing that, since as a business they don't want to loose money, but it just wasn't done very well. Also it didn't help the situation when the different tables were using a different exchange rates on the conversion. So moving forward, I think that needs to be brought up, and possibly thought out more so people are aware of the situation they are being presented with.

While I love the fact that the event has grown and can now handle a second room, I do feel this may need to be tweaked a little. I felt bad for the people in the smaller room, as there was no way they were getting as much foot traffic as the people in the larger room. While I'm not sure if there was a price difference between the two rooms for tables, I kind of feel if the event can handle that many tables (2 rooms, and the haul way), they may want to start to look for a bigger area to host the 2 day con, so everyone can just be in the same room.

One small small complaint is that I found some of the Sunday panels kinda weak. If it's meant to be a convention and not just a sale, I think some of the panels should have a bit more depth to them.

Overall I'm totally glad I went, and hoping I make it back for next year.
freakx2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:36 PM   #13
Fear or Courage
Beasty

The funny thing is I've never eaten at the hotel or restaurant, because I always hear it's overpriced and not great. I always bring food, just because it's a known thing the con people can't exactly fix.

http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=65018
Fear or Courage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:57 PM   #14
Yonoid
Nexus Maximus

This was my second tfcon..

A lot more room to move around in the dealer rooms and even the foyers, not sure if that had to do with the second dealer room or not

Prices for a number of things seemed a lot more reasonable compared to prior year

A couple dealers once they saw I was buying for my son were very open about discounting the price and gave him a great deal. Props out to chosen prime for this

Parking did take a bit of time to find one, I got there for 9am.

As for food I just packed a lunch as I didn't want to lose my parking spot to drive somewhere.

Overall we had a great time! Got to meet up with some board members in person.
Yonoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:51 PM   #15
Omegatron
Gen 1

This was a good TFCON and I found a lot of stuff.

I agree with the other posts that the prices in US dollars were a bit annoying. I actually asked the guy at Captured Prey if the prices were in US because I couldn't believe they were real so wasn't taken by surprise. I don't know why they weren't upfront about that because as soon as I knew that I discovered they still had some good deals despite the exchange rate and the tax.

If organizers don't want to demand everybody sell in Canadian dollars (and I can see why they might not given it could drive some sellers away) I think they should at least demand that sellers post clearly that prices are in US dollars as well as the exchange rate they are using. This is just fair and will give con attendees the heads up to get out their phones, turn the calculator on and figure out the real price, which while annoying is still doable.

My bigger concern this year was that I think the venue is now just too small for the event. I know it would be a big headache to find another location but there is now no parking (its certainly harder to find than in previous years), the second dealer room is nice but I think those dealers lost out on foot traffic and things just felt like they were holding together but not as well as in previous years. I think this was just growing pains, nothing was wrong with the organization of the con a bigger space was just needed.

My two cents anyway.
Omegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:34 PM   #16
Swalloweddark
Generation 2

Aa..TF Con 2017...

It seems like nothing changes at this con.

They did finally separate the Dealers area this year which I liked but I could tell if it helped cause Attendance seemed to be down this year. I had Elbow room in the Dealers area ( both), there was hardly anyone sitting in the panel room, no lines at the guest area and you could move down the hall freely.

The con itself is a meh to me. None of the panels interested me or much of the hype. I had a good time though cause we made our own. We webt around the dealers room for an hour then enjoyed speaking to the artists as always. They are a wonderful bunch and so is their work. ��

Id probably be more into the Cosplay Contest if it was run like they actually wanted it at the con. One year, I remember they had to 'sneak' it into the programming because their was other staff that didnt want it. Every year we get asked to enter but it isnt worth our time. When they ever get a good solid contest down then we might.

The con needs more to do based on the fandom. After we did our 2 hour shopping on Saturday we were either spending time in our room or out in the city but we bought weekend passes and was there since Thrusday.

Id need to see more attendee and con interaction. Something that keeps your attendees actually at ypur con not shop for an hour than leave. Though We say that every year.

So overall, another meh con but I enjoyed my weekend outside it. Looking forward to 2018.

Also, If any of you amazing attendees caught our Jazz and Prowl on Saturday feel free to send us the pictures! �� We saw and posed with so much awesome peeps.
Swalloweddark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:43 PM   #17
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

I enjoyed it.

Good:
Too many people that I wanted to see and hang out with, which is good, seeing as that's the theme of the con for me.
Lots of dealer tables, got a few deals on things I wasn't really after. Didn't expect to increase my g1 or g2 collections this year, but did.
Smoothly run, extra dealer room was nice, but I only made it over there a couple times, definitely didn't have the traffic of the main room.
Got to display my book for people to see the general idea.
Con staff are super friendly and know what they are doing to make it a very well run con, doesn't matter how big it's getting, it's still got that small con feel.
Sunday night was a blast.
Pool and big blue got used a ton this year by me after hours compared to other years.

Bad/Mediocre

Parking, chop took way too many spots as reserved.
Sticky fingers. Not impressed with that, that's on the person that did it, not anyone else.
Restaurant in quest wasn't great this year, the poutine I got wasn't warm, and wouldn't sub it onto the burger.

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW

Last edited by brr-icy; 07-17-2017 at 06:46 PM.
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:10 PM   #18
Cliffjumper69
primebein's rival
Cliffjumper69's Ebay Auctions
Send a message via MSN to Cliffjumper69

TFcon 2017 was great overall. The vitamin water and razors were nice things to get this year.

The only complaints I have are,

- Second dealer room didn't have great advertisement at the start of the first day, near the end of the first day they fixed it.

- Couldn't hear the door prize announcements in the second dealer room

- Quest was alright, only issue was the server not knowing what drinks were and not knowing the con menu. Prices were better but still stupidly high for food.

- Cosplayers need to stop holding up lines and getting in the way for pictures. Go to an open are and do your thing. A few times I saw Cosplayers getting in the way, holding up "traffic" and giving people attitude of they said anything to them. C'mon ladies, stay classy.

Keep up the good work guys!
Old 07-17-2017, 07:30 PM   #19
mesh
Generation 1

with regards to captured prey they were great with the prices. i know they were in us prices but guess what? They are a US company from the STATES.

He was awesome at discounting and using XE.COM to complete the conversations necessary.

what i found as a disappointment is the lack of Transformers Rescue Bots figures. Honestly, those are awesome! For my kid who is 4 years old, these are a load of fun to play with.

I feel those figures get no love.

other than that, i felt that the second room was put in place as an after thought.

i think it's time to get a new venue with a much larger banquet hall.

TFCon is grow with awesome strength. It's a great time to be a Transformers fan.
mesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:53 PM   #20
Krymzon Ikon
Mini-Con

This was my first time and me and my friend had a blast. Just went on the sunday but still was fun. Dealer room was amazing and pretty easy to move through. I do agree with with everyone about the US pricing at some tables. Also glad I was able to see some of the panels.
Krymzon Ikon is offline   Reply With Quote