Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 04-13-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
danaustin1975
new collector - any advice anyone?

Hi there all,

Since I found a collection of loose G1 Transformers in my Dad's attic from my childhood, it inspired me to want to collect. I'm originally a star wars collector, and since I wanted a change, have decided to take the plunge with Transformers (got a few boxed items on watch on my ebay account).

I've decided to go for boxed items, not mint or MISB, but just so that are nice on display.

So far I've been scouting ebay for the past couple of weeks and the prices seem quite high, but there do seem to be some that don't go for the same price. I'm going to be collecting on a budget, so looking at around 30 - 40 pounds maximum on each auction - would I would be able to get a collection going with these prices in mind?

I've seen the reissues, and they look amazing to be honest, and I hate anything non vintage lol, but what's the current consensus on these items? Are they valuable to vintage collectors? They're in my price range so they are perfect, but again, they're not vintage, and I really want vintage items.

Anyway, any advice for a new collector to this field from anyone, any pointers from anyone will be much appreciated.
danaustin1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
General Tekno
Lugnut rules!
Send a message via AIM to General Tekno Send a message via MSN to General Tekno
Re: new collector - any advice anyone?

So, you're sticking to collecting G1 figures?

In that case, I would check out A3U's spinoff site where they list the differences between the KOs and the real things.

There's a LOT of very good quality KOs out on the market nowadays - if you're going for collecting boxed stuff odds are you don't want them.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:59 PM   #3
FreedomGundam
Freedom, ikimasu!

I dunno... If you ask me, if you're already set on collecting vintage figures, then there really shouldn't be any question on whether or not you should be looking at the reissues and all...
FreedomGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:20 PM   #4
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3

Not being a boxed collector myslef, I can say that the reissues are fine in my books. If the toy is free on the shelf... who cares how old it is.

Personally, although there are some nice KO's out there (in package)... I think they are a little over priced for what they are.

Best bet for shopping is to keep an eye out in the for sale forum on the board. Generally a little safer than eBay.

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:29 PM   #5
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

the tru reissues all have minor differences to the originals (eg. seekers weapons are longer, un-chromed weapons, non firing weapons) takara bookshelf re-issues are more expensive and more desired by collectors, if you are looking for either vintage or bookshelf boxed items, see vectorsigma2's sale thread

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:09 PM   #6
danaustin1975

Hi Guys,

thanks for the tip offs, really appreciated, you've given me some good information here and I'll check it out. I will check out the sale section in the forum site.

Yes, I'm just sticking to vintage, as I grew up with those toys and they hold sentimental value to me.

As you can see I've debated on starting getting the re-issues, though after looking at the prices on a lot of vintage transformers they're not that much more expensive, apart from the Dinobots etc which are lot less expensive. Saw Swoop boxed go for 80 pounds the other day, wow. That gave me the impression this is an expensive hobby lol.

I'll check out vectorsigma2's sale thread, thanks for that brr-icy.
danaustin1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:18 PM   #7
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

G1 boxed items will always go for at least $150...or 75 pounds. In fact for Swoop that seems low, glad I'm not a MIB collector I'd be even poorer.

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:22 PM   #8
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

no problem, but just so you know, this is an expensive hobby, lol

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:28 AM   #9
onecoin
Banned

When I get in a G1 phase I hunt down "lots" where people are selling a bunch of junk at once. Usually, these "lots" are poorly described and do not come up in searches if you are looking for specific items. This is exactly why then end up being "finds" and come in at lower prices. Here, pictures tell a thousand words. If you're up for it this a great way to get a bunch of stuff cheap. Often it really is just junk, but in the transformer world, a little junk here and a little junk there, makes a big pile of junk. I know you want MIB, but this is a good way to get a jump start on a collection.
onecoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:42 PM   #10
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon

In order to save $ on shipping I would strongly recommend touching base with other UK collectors. Shipping overseas is expensive.