Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > International Transformers News

Old 12-22-2016, 04:14 AM   #11
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions
Re: Titans Return Sky Shadow In-Hand Images ? Topspin Confirmed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereDragon EX View Post
I'm confused about the mechanics of this figure. The back of the box (http://news.tfw2005.com/wp-content/u...12/BwzUaOp.jpg) seems to suggest that it is a quadruple-changer (with robot, tank, jet, and base modes). However, Black Shadow's wiki page (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Black_Shadow_...y)#Generations) states that the figure can split into a separate jet and tank which combine to form the robot or base. The photos seem to back up what the box says, since there isn't a photo showing that the jet and tank are separate vehicles that the robot or base can split into. So which is it?

On another note, while the figure looks cool, I'm somewhat irate that the same figure (possibly with a new head) would also be used for Overlord. So if anyone wants to get the three Phase Sixers from the line, they have to get essentially two of the same figure with presumably the only difference being the head and the colors. I never really liked two or more members in a subgroup being redecoes of each other. This was a complaint I had regarding Slingshot/Quickslinger and Wildrider/Breakdown, since they looked exactly the same as another member on their teams, except for the head and colors. It was rather jarring for me, as I'd like the figures to be visually distinct from each other when displaying them as a team. It was also partly why I opted not to get Liokaiser, because of there being two usages of the Brawl mode. Drillhorn could have easily been a Unite Warriors Nosecone retool instead, and that would have been much better in my mind.
It's overlord. Robot, jet and tank, base. Sky shadow is clearly just a pretool usage of the mild. That's what was shown at NYCc or whatever.

I don't disagree with you. I get it, but I'll be skipping sky shadow in favour of overlord.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 04:16 AM   #12
Roadhammer
Wrecker

If they're doing Topspin, they'll almost certainly do Twin Twist too. I guess this means I'll be able to fully phase out the FOC Wreckers now that I've got TFCC Impactor. This pleases me, as I was never really all that into the FOC Combaticon mould.

Now all I need is a decent first-party Rack'n'Ruin and I'll be all set on that front.

As far as Skyshadow goes, I'm with wervenom. I'm ambivalent to the character and I'd really rather have Overlord, so that's the version I get.

My question concerns the Titan Master above Topspin...Autobot Shuffler? That must be an existing character, but I can't for the life of me think who. Any ideas?
Roadhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 04:33 AM   #13
WereDragon EX
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
It's overlord. Robot, jet and tank, base. Sky shadow is clearly just a pretool usage of the mild. That's what was shown at NYCc or whatever.

I don't disagree with you. I get it, but I'll be skipping sky shadow in favour of overlord.
So it's basically like G1 Overlord with the jet and tank being separate pieces rather than different forms of the same figure as is the case with say, Blitzwing then. Yeah, the box confused me, since it seemed to suggest that the jet and tank were not separate pieces and that the figure was a quadruple changer. In any case, I think the tank wasn't really necessary, and maybe they could have heavily retooled the Combiner Wars Leader Starscream to get Sky Shadow instead. That was a pretty superb figure and I thought it would be great for Sky Shadow. As I mentioned, though, I'm not pleased with getting two of the same figure for the same team since I want the Phase Sixers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhammer View Post
If they're doing Topspin, they'll almost certainly do Twin Twist too. I guess this means I'll be able to fully phase out the FOC Wreckers now that I've got TFCC Impactor. This pleases me, as I was never really all that into the FOC Combaticon mould.

Now all I need is a decent first-party Rack'n'Ruin and I'll be all set on that front.

As far as Skyshadow goes, I'm with wervenom. I'm ambivalent to the character and I'd really rather have Overlord, so that's the version I get.

My question concerns the Titan Master above Topspin...Autobot Shuffler? That must be an existing character, but I can't for the life of me think who. Any ideas?
Shuffler is an obscure G1 Japan exclusive character from the Headmasters series. Here's his wiki page (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Shuffler).
WereDragon EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 04:45 AM   #14
Roadhammer
Wrecker

OH, a Headmaster Warrior, right. No wonder I had no idea who he was. Y'know, it's pretty cool they're doing new versions of those; I mean, especially Hasbro, it wouldn't have surprised me if Takara had done them and they'd stayed Japanese-exclusive, since the originals were too (and like you said, really obscure!). The fact that Hasbro is releasing them too, is just...cool.
Roadhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 04:47 AM   #15
WereDragon EX
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhammer View Post
OH, a Headmaster Warrior, right. No wonder I had no idea who he was. Y'know, it's pretty cool they're doing new versions of those; I mean, especially Hasbro, it wouldn't have surprised me if Takara had done them and they'd stayed Japanese-exclusive, since the originals were too (and like you said, really obscure!). The fact that Hasbro is releasing them too, is just...cool.
Well, Hasbro is making a concerted effort at giving the G1 Japanese exclusive characters some exposure through things like the IDW comics, even though they don't have to, so I think the next logical step was to make them into actual toys so people outside Japan can experience these characters. But you're right, it's quite cool that Hasbro is acknowledging the exclusive aspects of Transformers that their Japanese associates created.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:00 AM   #16
optimusb39
Animated

The tank splits in two to become the legs that then likly unfold the thighs and connect to stubs on the jet that form hips.the turret than golds in
Side where the thighs used to be. All save the red cannon which becomes his gun.
also becomes the forward structures 8n base mode though I think this can be done while still connected to the upper half.
optimusb39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:35 AM   #17
down_shift
Fortress Maximus

I hate that they used the Overlord mold for Skyshadow, but it will get us a new Thudnerwing so I'll live.
down_shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:27 PM   #18
WereDragon EX
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
I hate that they used the Overlord mold for Skyshadow, but it will get us a new Thudnerwing so I'll live.
I have a feeling that for now, Hasbro is essentially treating Thunder Mayhem as Thunderwing. Of course, this doesn't preclude an actual Thunderwing figure being released at some point in the near future, but just saying.

Though I'm curious as to why Black Shadow figures are derived from Thunderwing figures. Is there some sort of relationship between those characters toy-wise, similar to the relationship between Optimus and Ultra Magnus and the Seekers?

Last edited by WereDragon EX; 12-22-2016 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:38 PM   #19
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereDragon EX View Post
I have a feeling that for now, Hasbro is essentially treating Thunder Mayhem as Thunderwing. Of course, this doesn't preclude an actual Thunderwing figure being released at some point in the near future, but just saying.

Though I'm curious as to why Black Shadow figures are derived from Thunderwing figures. Is there some sort of relationship between those characters toy-wise, similar to the relationship between Optimus and Ultra Magnus and the Seekers?
Yup. Black shadow was a redeco of Thunderwing for Victory.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Black_Shadow_(Victory)#Victory

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote