Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 12-11-2016, 08:01 PM   #1
Xtreme987
Metroplex
Titans Return Leader Sixshot Review by peaugh

Titans Return Leader Sixshot Review by peaugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMpnpaXmpeM
Xtreme987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:30 PM   #2
Roadhammer
Wrecker
Re: Titans Return Leader Sixshot Review by peaugh

Sixshot looks like he'll be a lot of fun. And I especially like how they've constructed him so that if you wanted to ignore the Titan Master gimmick on him completely, you can. I like Titan Masters, but the ability to transform Sixshot without having to screw around with his little head guy, that's a smart move. Not one you can do on every size-class of TR toy, of course, but it's a nice option for the larger figures.
Roadhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:59 PM   #3
positivelyken
One Man Gestalt

While I appreciate the engineering that went into making every TR figure interact with Titan Masters in some way, I wish the designers had expanded their vision. Not every figure had to be a Headmaster. Why not make some Powermasters and Targetmasters too? I mean, you literally have a Powermaster Optimus Prime who isn't a PM at all... but he could've been.

As for Sixshot, I'll be happy to ignore the HM gimmick. Looks like a great figure!
positivelyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:02 PM   #4
Iron Moose
Knows things

I saw this figure today at a mini-comic con and I was let down. He looks stumpy, both in overall proportions and at the wings, and the stickers on his chest stand out in a bad way.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:04 PM   #5
xueyue2
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Moose View Post
I saw this figure today at a mini-comic con and I was let down. He looks stumpy, both in overall proportions and at the wings, and the stickers on his chest stand out in a bad way.
I kind of feeling the same way right now (even I didn't see a real figure yet, just from internet), it seems after 30 years, sixshot wasn't improved that much.

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

xueyue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:41 PM   #6
Roadhammer
Wrecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xueyue2 View Post
I kind of feeling the same way right now (even I didn't see a real figure yet, just from internet), it seems after 30 years, sixshot wasn't improved that much.
I would argue that the implementation of superior articulation to the original Sixshot, which was rather noticeably brick-like, is by itself a rather significant improvement over the original toy. Beyond that, I'm not sure what an updated Sixshot needed to be "improved" upon.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:47 PM   #7
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by positivelyken View Post
While I appreciate the engineering that went into making every TR figure interact with Titan Masters in some way, I wish the designers had expanded their vision. Not every figure had to be a Headmaster. Why not make some Powermasters and Targetmasters too? I mean, you literally have a Powermaster Optimus Prime who isn't a PM at all... but he could've been.

As for Sixshot, I'll be happy to ignore the HM gimmick. Looks like a great figure!
Targetmasters are stupid.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:22 AM   #8
xueyue2
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhammer View Post
Beyond that, I'm not sure what an updated Sixshot needed to be "improved" upon.
Maybe a more modern look in those 6 forms instead of directly copy the look from 30 years ago?

Take TFP Optimus Prime as example, we know it's still optimus prime, but the truck mode looks quite different than G1.

I felt those 6 modes almost look didn't change from 30 years is quite laziness from the designer.

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

Last edited by xueyue2; 12-12-2016 at 12:28 AM.
xueyue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:41 AM   #9
Roadhammer
Wrecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xueyue2 View Post
Maybe a more modern look in those 6 forms instead of directly copy the look from 30 years ago?

Take TFP Optimus Prime as example, we know it's still optimus prime, but the truck mode looks quite different than G1.

I felt those 6 modes almost look didn't change from 30 years is quite laziness from the designer.
Well, the issue with that example is that, while yes, both toys you mentioned are Optimus Prime, they're not the same Optimus Prime; they're from different continuities and not, strictly-speaking, the same character. Keeping some semblance of design is important, of course, but I think the main reason Prime Optimus doesn't look like G1 Optimus is because...he isn't G1 Optimus. You might have instead used the venerable Classics Voyager as a better example, since that is definitely an updated, more modern take on G1 Optimus (and was part of a line that also included a smaller, more G1-accurate flat-nosed Optimus too, for people who were more into the classic look).

TR Sixshot is definitely supposed to be G1 Sixshot. Hence why the design hasn't been deviated from significantly. That's not always been a hard and fast rule where CHUG lines are concerned, but there seems to have been a more concentrated effort to hew more closely to G1 interpretations as of late. Also, I'm not clear how the modes could be made more "modern" when all of them are designed with an alien or futuristic vibe to them. They weren't modern back in the '80s. And to the average 12-to-14 year old looking at buying Sixshot today, I'd imagine most of them won't care if he looks more or less identical to a toy from well over a decade before they were born. Heck, I don't, and I was around (admittedly very young) when the original Sixshot was released.

Just my two cents of course.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:57 AM   #10
funkmasterke
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhammer View Post
Just my two cents of course.
I agree. This is the first sixshot toy we have had since G1 (excluding third party) so I'm glad they went with a version faithful to the original toy. Lets save a more modern look for the next one, even though i'm unsure how they would do it.

I haven't seen the toy in person but looking at the video and pictures. It looks exactly how he looked on screen in the original G1 cartoon (not headmasters).

If I didn't already have hexatron I would have picked this up.