Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 04-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
joshimus
Metroplex
Seth McFarlane. Is he capable of R Rated movies?

Ok, so first off, i'm not a HUGE Family Guy fan. That said he does come up with some occasional fun stuff but I mostly tire of the characters and the paused long extended scenes of nothing. I do however enjoy his PG13 dark and dirty sense of humour. I appriciate the lack of political correctness and blunt humour that feels well written but the "go all out there" schtick, not so much. I dont think he knows how to properly "swear" when it comes to humour.

Now, I find this is a BIG issue with comedians in general. Swearing duiring jokes can be funny, but only when used properly and not excessively.
McFarlanes Cavilvade of Cartoons proved he is less than capable of turning profanity into something funny. Then I watched the trailer for his new movie "Ted" and this is why i'm writing this post/ Again he shows me that too much takes away from the jokes. Again, I like when the jokes are full of innudeno, dark and push the borders of what SHOULD be said, but when the sweaing is more prminant than the joke itself, it tends to feel less than worthwhile.

I dunno, maybe when they have to really think about what CAN get put into the show vs just blasting profanity out, maybe that's why the FG jokes are better. Forced thought is put into it over just saying crap without real effort.
Anyone else feel the same way or is it just me.
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
Nomad
Airachnid's ratservant
Send a message via AIM to Nomad Send a message via MSN to Nomad
Re: Seth McFarlane. Is he capable of R Rated movies?

I think it depends on the person. If you're someone who's naturally a toilet mouth then rock it, but if you're trying to add that shit into your vocabulary for the sake of appealing to a certain audience or whatever above all else, then it'll just seem like you say, forced & fake. Guess it's like anything else really, but for monologues & comedy in general it's especially evident because you're pretty much marketing nothing but yourself when you get on the mic.

For example, I say "shit" all the time so it works, but if I intentionally tried to use words like cunt & faggot all the time (especially in regular scenes/gatherings when this sort of thing is awkward in itself), people would probably get wise to the fact that I'm trying to hard & just being a tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvoyGTR View Post
"they're all gone, vultures everywhere"

Last edited by Nomad; 04-07-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
TMIIWonkoNemises
Animated
Send a message via Skype™ to TMIIWonkoNemises
Re: Seth McFarlane. Is he capable of R Rated movies?

I think it's more along the lines that swearing for the sake of humour is the key issue in what Seth is trying to say.Based on what I observed when watching his other projects,he's capable of knowing of what's funny,what's offensive,and what reaction he can get from either.It is very much like how the South Park guys did it when they made Bigger,Longer,and Uncut where swearing was the key theme to portray their humour and even parody their own idea of what their film will result when children try to see this and even imitate from it.They are commenting how people react and even challenge their own conventions of 'what is humour' based on the vocabulary their characters use in each scene.Seth is known to break barriers in his works and whether they are found humorous to people is a bonus...which based on the ratings that Fox finds every year,seem to say so.

I think for Ted,Seth is going to break even more barriers not only on adult humour,but pushing the boundaries according to the laws of Hollywood in their portrayal of comedy.He can use any other form as he wishes,but I believe he's doing what Matt and Trey from South Park have done years ago,using swearing to challenge audiences on whether or not they are going to find it funny or disgusting.But,we have yet to know the whole film he's working on.I for one,would gladly support it,since he's commenting to the audience on what they find funny in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky Tango Foxtrot View Post
My anus is certainly not a secret toys garden, and I'm deeply offended by the insinuation!
TMIIWonkoNemises is offline   Reply With Quote