Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
Gaetznes
Cassetticon
Collecting Watches

So I've bought a few watches over the years. More out of need, then luxury.

However, I've been eying this Kenneth Cole Skeleton Automatic at Moores. Its not a expensive watch. It's going to be under $300. So by no means is it a Walmart special either. Nor is it Jap or Swiss Movement, just a decent Chinese movement

Just wondering if anyone collects Watches. What do you have in your collection? Are there any brands or Companies you suggest?

Personally, I do not have a overly large amount of disposable income to spend on Luxury/Fashionable watches. So if I were to buy one a year, I might be in the $200-500, perhaps as high as 1000.

BUt then were cutting into tf money at that point lol. So no Rolex for me, perhaps Lexro...

Edit 28th of March:
Here are the 3 KC i'm considering 9031, 1631 and a 1632.
The differnces are not as telling in the pictures as they are not to scale with each other.

Last edited by Gaetznes; 03-28-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Gaetznes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
Slayback
Animated
Re: Collecting Watches

Go kinetic mate. Usually well worth it. Only have my dad's Seiko watch don't wear it but love it to death.

feedback :http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=31815
Slayback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
Gaetznes
Cassetticon

Yeah, I was looking at two of those today actually. Both were skeletons too. They were in the $100 range on sale for 80. Saw them at Zellers/Walmart.

I don't know about other people, but I have reservations when it comes to buying anything at zellers or walmart. It could be good, but I have the perception of cheapness due to the retailer.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:46 PM   #4
CORNPOPARMY
Mini-Con

I have found myself in more than a few watch stores in the past few years. I have to agree that the kinetic movements are much better and more user friendly than their battery operated brethren, although I've had some beautiful examples of the latter.

One of my personal favourites was a Movado which I believe ran somewhere around $1200.

You can defenitely pick up some nice examples from several different places if you spend some time looking. One store I'm particularly fond of is Fossil. They have very reasonably priced, yet stylish and uniquely designed without being too tacky.

This is, of course, if you don't have the budget for something really, really awesome like my Cartier Roadster. Slightly more than your budget, but in real terms, not too eccentric for a lot of people.

But, let's get back to reality, shall we.

GOBOTS RULE FOREVER!!! RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!! YOU CANNOT STOP THE INEVITABLE THAT YOU WILL ONE DAY BOW DOWN TO THE MASTERY AND GENIUS THAT IS THE GOBOT!!!

Also, eat cornpops because they are good and help you defeat evil.

Bye
CORNPOPARMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #5
Gaetznes
Cassetticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORNPOPARMY View Post
One of my personal favourites was a Movado
If I were to go for Movado, they do have a few dozen in my lower price range. Perhaps the Museum, Model 0606502. Elegant, yet simple.

I've been looking at a Winder Display cases on ebay. I'm liking this http://www.ebay.ca/itm/8-Watches-Winder-Burlwood-w-10-Storage-works-w-Rolex-/310389553549?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4844a8 b98d

Don't have really anything to put into it, but it gives me a goal for the next decade. With a watch or two a year.

Last edited by Gaetznes; 03-27-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:33 PM   #6
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

I've never really understood peoples fascination with watches. But maybe I'm just to cheap to purchase a nice one. Nowadays I have a clock on my phone, a clock on my computer and a clock in my car. I have literally no use for a watch, unless it's for fashion and I'm not that vain.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:28 AM   #7
Gaetznes
Cassetticon

Its between, Practicality, Fashion and Elegance. Not to argue but to counter your statement.

I personally, do not have a cell phone. Nor do I have a clock near by in most of my daily events. Ie: I'm not at home, nor in my van.

You may also look at it as a novelty. Time is a concept as well as a perception. Humanity in general is obsessed with it.

Now back to talking about my self, lol. Only a few of the watches that I plan to purchase, will I wear on a semi formal basis. The majority will be for more formal events. For my wedding I will be wearing my Grandfathers Retirement Watch from Ford. As an example.

The Kenneth Cole that I'm looking at is for a Travelers Suit I just purchased. Which is for formal and semi formal events.

I'm more of a black shirt and blue jean guy, but its nice to own nice things. Nice things that aren't made of Plastic.

IMHO, I do not think that you (Team Jetfire) or anyone is cheap. Its just a matter of priority of where to spend your money. Our society deems that if you can earn it, you can spend it.

Besides food and shelter, everything is a luxury item. If it bring joy and/or ease to your life, its a luxury. So with that vain, a rolex is no different the Fort max.

But I totally understand the concept of the vanity in regards to fashion. Thats why I wont be going out of my way to own a rolex. As it is more of a status symbol, beyond its relative value as a quality product. Just IMO.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:33 AM   #8
ConvoyGTR
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayback View Post
Go kinetic mate. Usually well worth it. Only have my dad's Seiko watch don't wear it but love it to death.
Same deal except I got it as a gift from my Grandfather's collection. The thing is, if I don't wear it everyday it stops ticking. I don't know if that's how they all are or just mine, but I had to stop wearing it becuz it was driving me nuts.

And I carry a cell phone with me as well, but I gotta be wearing a watch, feels weird otherwise.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:54 AM   #9
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

I understand that people like nice things, hell I love nice things. I just see a lot of people, on a day to day basis, who rack up huge bills all from buying nice things. Society has done a very good job in creating a need for "things". Unfortunantly these things tend to be status symbols and are extremly lavish and carry a hefty price tag and the funny thing is that the primary function of these items are superfluous to the actual item. A $20 purse still holds keys and a wallet as well as a $2000 purse, what is the point of a $2000 purse, except to show everyone around you that you have a lot more 'disposable' income.

I really mean no disrespect, like I said, I see huge debt loads everyday and It has really rubbed off on me. Everyone has their thing and if it is not hurting me, why do I care. Just my 2 cents.

That being said an special watch from your dad is pretty amazing and will no doubt be much more important then a watch purchased from a store.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:02 AM   #10
Gaetznes
Cassetticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvoyGTR View Post
Same deal except I got it as a gift from my Grandfather's collection. The thing is, if I don't wear it everyday it stops ticking. I don't know if that's how they all are or just mine, but I had to stop wearing it becuz it was driving me nuts.
Its normal. Some Models are designed to go days up to years and work with out being worn. It generates it's power by winding a spring. Or in the case of a kinetic, storing it in a capacitor or battery. This power is created by continual wearing, well more like continual motion. So you may want to look into buying a "winder". Which is a watch case with a motor in it, which will spin the watch all day every day. That way your watch will aways be working. No worries if you don't want to wear it for a few months. Don't have to re set the time etc. Plus you keep your sanity.

Edit

To Team Jetfire. Hell man, no disrespect recieved. I personally always get a laught when I see a guy driving a H3 that is minty, or as I call it small penis syndrome. Or people that buy a Gucci bag for thousands, yet you can get a KO for $50. The only differnce isn't even the material, just the stitching is differnt. Stitching isn't worth thousands.

However, I will say that things like furiture is where things can get werid. You got your Walmart specials, then Leons quality, then your local specality store. A 1000 dollars can buy you a couch and chair at Walmart or Leons. You will get by quanity more at walmart, then leons. At leons though, your couch is actually made with a solid wood frame vs press board, in most cases. Your walmart set will generally last you a few years. Were your leons one can last you decades, if not to the point were you may decided the need to reappulstor it as the cloth has worn out. Yet the frame and padding may still be good. The same can be said for the specality store.

Going away from the perception of trying to show of wealth etc. Avoiding looking at ultra luxury items. We can look at a cooking pots. You can get 1 at the dollar store for a few bucks, 1 at walmart for under $20 (walmart brand) or spend $80-100 at paderno. You know the dollar store one will last you at best a few weeks to few months. Where as the Walmart one, if taken care of should offer you years if not longer. The Paderno again if taken care of should last you a life time. Additonally, you paying in both cases the walmart and paderno for the smack of copper on the bottom. I do understand that in part you pay for the Brand. But you are also paying for quality in the case of padurno. I personally have gone through about 3 or more frying pans a year, on average. Yet my paderno one I've had for over a decade. Were the walmart specals last up to 6 months. If i do the math, 3 frying pans equal $60 a year, which is almost the amount of one that will last me forever. I've prity much convinced my self I need to go buy some more paderno vs wasting money at walmat every year lol.

Last edited by Gaetznes; 03-28-2012 at 08:43 AM.