Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 07:54 PM   #41
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions
Re: For the unemployed

Well, I was trying to give some advice after my rant about shit.

My wife and I got through it (thankfully because of her savings), and since then we've managed to save up enough for a house.

And that's because I stopped going nuts and buying plastic crack at every turn. I woke up. I still crave it, but that all is besides the point. When the house is all paid off, and the kids are off to school and retirement is already secured, then I can go nuts and buy all the plastic crack I can afford.

I've been through stuff, and so has my wife, and i thought I could add in some useful bits of information. Stuff I've learned during and after when I was unemployed.

Stuff that would have really been great for me to hear, regardless of whether I took that advice or not.

I know what you're doing, Protoman. Yes, some people need to be shaken up in order to wake up and see priorities. Luckily I'm passed that.

With the outburst out of the way, Protoman, any job search advice and tidbits of wisdom would be welcome.

Anyways, it may seem strange, but I once was turned down for a position because I wore a suit to the interview. The interviewer pictured me as an employee used to office work and whatnot. He never asked me about the suit or why I wore it. Had I worn presentable but functional clothes, it might have been a different story. Considering I apply to blue-collar jobs, the suit is a bit much.

But I knew I had to dress to impress. And other interviewers have brought it up and asked me about the suit and why I wore it. My answer made sense and reassured them that I knew the position involved working on a shop floor and dealing with dirt and grease and oil, and that the suit was to demonstrate that I could be presentable within and outside of the company if required. Or something to that effect.

So get a suit, get a dress shirt, get a tie (a real one), and learn to tie it. It goes a long way. Always dress better than you know the position will require. But just know that there's the possibility of it backfiring. Oh, make sure to bring a pair of steel-toes with you, but keep them in the car, just in case you're asked to go on a plant tour. Also, keep a pair of safety glasses in the breast pocket of your jacket. If you wear prescription glasses, make sure your safety glasses fit over them, and are CSA approved. It shows you came prepared, and every so often I've been at companies where the safety glasses they provided wouldn't fit over my glasses, rendering me blind.

Make sure you have a functional portfolio, and do what you can to use it in the interview. This is harder than it looks, as I've had dozens of interviews where I neglected to even reference it. I say a functional portfolio because the first one I made really sucked ass. A course taught me how to properly organize it, and it has served me well since then, as long as I actually use it properly. Oh, any work samples in it, make sure you have permission to use them. THAT goes a long way. Also, on the version in your portfolio, black out any confidential or proprietary information. On the originals you have, its fine to have that info. Just don't go sharing it with others.

edit:

Oh, and as for overcoming personal problems, turns out I'm WAY better on anti-depressants for handing anxiety and stress. I have the same stress as other people. The stress doesn't bother me more than it does other people. But the stress doesn't go away, and when something is brought up later, it seems to be just as stressful as it was originally. Its one of the main reasons I tended to just sit in my room as a child and play with my toys instead of going outside or interacting with human beings. Tried many things, therapy and counseling for depression (which I do have, but have overcome with the pills), but it turns out that the little pill I take works wonders for allowing me to get rid of the stress and decompress.

Man, if I had taken those things back in highschool, my entire social life would have been different. College would have been different. I'd probably have been way more outgoing and productive instead of a hermit that hid away and typed on the computer. Hell, that's what I did on New Years Eve 1999, sat around and typed on a computer. Woop-de-fricken-doo, millennium.

Anyways, I'm still socially awkward, I just care a bit less about it now with the pills. I found something that works to help and improve my life and level me out.

As for Aspergers, well, I don't think there's a magic pill to help on the social side of things. I don't have it (at least I don't think I do, though I do have a number of symptoms and it would make sense, but no diagnosis, so I don't have it), and from the descriptions, it sucks socially. I imagine how my life would be if I stopped taking the pill, and its probably me huddling in the corner in the fetal position weeping. Or remaining a hermit with little to no social interactions. I feel for ya.

If you're looking for structure and social, try NaNoWriMo in November. Even at the write-ins where people gather, majority of it is spent writing furiously trying to up word counts, and occasionally sipping coffee. The social aspect sort of phases in and out from time to time, as people hit bursts of inspiration at different times and get in the zone, not talking or contributing to conversations, if any.

Last edited by Shepp; 03-31-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:05 PM   #42
Pascal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
Be a fucken MAN. Or...... you can just play with your toys...... day after day, till one day.... this is all going to boil into something so bad there will be no turning back. You will die, and when the police kick the door down cause the neighboors smell something bad coming from Apartment 3B, oh the story that will be written of the 60 year old shut in with his armada of toys and shattered dreams.

Grow up. Be a man. And quit feeling sorry for yourself. Cause after 4 pages of this, this Protoman ain't impressed.
^Coming from the guy who said he would choose his toys over a woman on any day, this little piece of advice sounds pretty strange.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:52 PM   #43
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepp View Post
If you're looking for structure and social, try NaNoWriMo in November. Even at the write-ins where people gather, majority of it is spent writing furiously trying to up word counts, and occasionally sipping coffee. The social aspect sort of phases in and out from time to time, as people hit bursts of inspiration at different times and get in the zone, not talking or contributing to conversations, if any.
I've been following this thread and didn't think I had anything to add, but after seeing that a couple of you write on the side, I wanted to say this. There's a lot of opportunity in publishing right now. There are viable alternatives to traditional print publishing, two being the kindle store and ibooks from apple. You can publish your own stuff and put it up for sale. It's an avenue you can explore if you feel options are limited and have time and inclination to do it. No promises of instant millions, but if you work hard at it you could pull in a few extra bucks. Obviously what you write has to be good enough too, but who knows what can happen when you work hard.

I've heard of people pulling a few hundred a month on the side to people who became millionaires and getting offered publishing contracts. Obviously the latter is the exception rather than the rule, but if you write anyway, why not give it a go? It won't be easy and requires work, but what's the worst that can happen, you end up exactly where you started.

A few words from an unpublished, struggling writer, who probably doesn't know a whole hell of a lot.

Cheers.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #44
BruticusMax
Bruticus Maximus Forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
I've been following this thread and didn't think I had anything to add, but after seeing that a couple of you write on the side, I wanted to say this. There's a lot of opportunity in publishing right now. There are viable alternatives to traditional print publishing, two being the kindle store and ibooks from apple. You can publish your own stuff and put it up for sale. It's an avenue you can explore if you feel options are limited and have time and inclination to do it. No promises of instant millions, but if you work hard at it you could pull in a few extra bucks. Obviously what you write has to be good enough too, but who knows what can happen when you work hard.

I've heard of people pulling a few hundred a month on the side to people who became millionaires and getting offered publishing contracts. Obviously the latter is the exception rather than the rule, but if you write anyway, why not give it a go? It won't be easy and requires work, but what's the worst that can happen, you end up exactly where you started.

A few words from an unpublished, struggling writer, who probably doesn't know a whole hell of a lot.

Cheers.
That is an amazing idea except I haven't got an I phone, although I'm going to search for the same apps if I can do that over the computer.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #45
Protoman
The Legend

I have nothing to add anymore, I am just the voice of everyone who was reading this thread, laughed/sighed and shook their head but kept silent. But I will tell you this.

I got some PMs from people who saw this thead and are asking for advice.

So I will fill you in on another problem you guys have.

.... being close minded.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Old 04-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #46
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

Can we get back on track and post some advice or answer some questions people are having about the job search process?

Or to make sure our skills and knowledge don't atrophy when people are between jobs in their field?

Or even how to keep motivated and summon a "WAR FACE RRRRRAAAAAARRRGHGHGH!!!!!!!! *froths at the mouth*" of determination to completely ace that interview?

edit:

Actually, I like that whole "war face" or "game face" analogy. I would listen to some speed metal or hard rock or Nothing's Gonna Stand In Our Way by Spectre General on the way to the interview. It got me all pumped up and ready to face a gauntlet.

As for my wife, she found it worked better when she arrived 10 to 15 minutes earlier and went over the posting and her portfolio and some notes just before going in. Getting all pumped up didn't work well for her when I suggested she tried that.

I tried the note reviewing immediately before, but I found it made me too critical and reserved about myself. I'd review all of that about an hour or so before the drive, which gave me more than enough time to get revved up.

So different things work better for different people.

Last edited by Shepp; 04-02-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #47
Nemesis Predaking
Wears Sunglasses at Night

And we are done here.

You know you're an old nerd when you feel the effects of inflation on action figures.
Youtube Twitter
Closed Thread