Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2018, 03:40 PM   #1851
JLvatron
Chosen 1
Re: Star Wars Discussion (The Last Jedi Spoilers Within!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelones View Post
The humour was overreaching and generally off at times (my opinion).

I also didn't like both main story arcs:
1) The "slow-chase-and-wait-till-the-rebels-run-out-fuel" story arc was silly and,
Very agree about the humour. The whole issue of the rebels on verge of extinction actually reveals more of the flaws from the previous film.
They really failed to properly explain how this new Order rose after the empire was defeated in Return of the Jedi.
The empire took Palpatine a lot of careful manipulation to create, this new Order prolly wasn't so secretive.
Yet they've decimated the rebels where Emperor and Vader couldn't, even with the Death Star.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
Some of the dialogue felt like it just didn't belong in the Star Wars universe.
I definitely felt that.
I liked Rose's character, but man her lines were so un-StarWarsy. She was scripted more like a typical action movie sidekick, than StarWars.

I mean Matrix, I almost expected to hear her say "dude".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Knight View Post
Side note: So I guess they're done with Snoak now huh? Man, all that mystery and build up from the first movie just seems like it's wasted now...
Snoke's death woulda bin a great plot twist and character moment for Kylo.
...IF his character could be taken more seriously. But since he's a dweeb, they essentially got rid of the only serious main bad guy Snoke.

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:25 PM   #1852
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLvatron View Post

You're oversimplifying that, by omitting Luke's admission that it was a fleeting thought. Everyone is entitled to that, and when you've been engaged in mortal combat, these reactions can be dire.

But he still overcame it and didn't go through with it.
Did he not intend to go through with it or did Ben just stop him before he could?

Honestly, even at the end when he meets with Leia he is still all “he can”t be saved”. Luke never even tried to save him. Only Rey did, so go figure.

How long is a fleeting thought? I mean if he was just thinking about it for so brief a time, how long did it take him to decide to go and sneak up on his sleeping nephew? How long did it take Luke to decide to bring his weapon with him?

This action by Luke wasn’t just a brief thought that he brushed aside. It was a calculated plan.

Speaking of plans, that is what Yoda and Obi-Wan had. They didn’t simply fall into depression and decide to hide out. The entire Jedi Order couldn’t defeat Palpatine, Yoda couldn’t defeat Palpatine - so they put a long term plan into effect with the most powerful Force users they had, the chosen one’s children.

Luke, he didn’t fight Snoke, he didn’t fight Ben, he didn’t do squat. Huge difference from the how and why of Yoda & Obi’s actions.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!

Last edited by Robimus; 01-17-2018 at 10:36 PM.
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:43 PM   #1853
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
Did he not intend to go through with it or did Ben just stop him before he could?
I understood he snuck to Ben to gauge how much dark side was in him. The shocking truth made him consider it for a second, his light sabre was handy, not planned.

When the fleeting moment passed, 'twas too late as Ben had awoke to see him with his Saber drawn, so kylo drew his light Saber in defence.

Despite that, his character was still off, like telling Leia there's no hope for Ben.

But I did like that he told Rey the Jedi are legend'd to be more good than they actually were. He alludes to how corrupt they were, allowing Darth Sidious to rise.

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:06 AM   #1854
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLvatron View Post

But I did like that he told Rey the Jedi are legend'd to be more good than they actually were. He alludes to how corrupt they were, allowing Darth Sidious to rise.
To me thats another example of something he had no reason to think. It sounded like Luke had spent too much time talking to me It sounds like reader/viewer knowledge that the characters in universe would have no way to know.

And if he did believe that then why give two cents about what Yoda thinks?

I don’t recall his exact comment from the film, but Sidious’s rise had little to do with Jedi corruption. The Jedi were trying to stop the Sith not realizing they were unwittingly being controlled by one. More ignorance than corruption, unless we want to claim some moral corruption for them leading a clone army of child soldiers, which I’m good with

But again, they were using that army to try and stop the Sith. It is a discussion with a lot of sides to it.

Jedi were responsible for 25,000 years(give or take) of peace and prosperity and 30 years of darkness(if we are 100% blaming them fir Palpatine), so Luke’s take is pretty out of wack to me.

And the Sith ultimately would have existed with or without the Jedi. Again Luke’s POV is odd.

Last edited by Robimus; 01-18-2018 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:01 PM   #1855
Chigimus
Masterpiece

Solo Trailer that was teased during the Superbowl last night now has a full trailer released today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNW0B0HsvVs

Looks OK so far, but somehow not as attention grabbing as the other recent ones. At least it's not Rian Johnson's work, lol. What also concerns me a bit is the late release of a trailer when they want to debut the movie less than 4 months away. Usually anything from this franchise gets almost a year of hype building before debut so the shorter window makes me think they may have rushed it or editing the content they have took too long which can be a sign of there wasn't enough good content to easily put together.
Chigimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:36 PM   #1856
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

I liked both Solo trailers. Tenatively looking forwad to that film.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:47 PM   #1857
Batman
The Dark Knight

I'm cautiously optimistic about Solo.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:50 PM   #1858
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

I'm not seeing Han Solo in Alden Ehrenreich's performance so far or even in his look. I'm hoping I'm wrong and he blows it out of the water, but yeeeesh.

On the other hand, I think they nailed Lando's look with Donald Glover.

Interestingly, I came across this actor,Anthony Ingruber, who wanted the role and man he looks a lot like a young Harrison Ford. But I heard his acting chops weren't up to snuff.

Here's a youtube video of him doing a Harrison Ford impression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bba_wPdLxp4
Old 02-10-2018, 03:59 AM   #1859
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Honestly, I don’t believe anyone can do Harrison Ford’s version of Han, so that isn’t a requirement for me.

Lando is a bit easier. I hope the actor they cast does as well as the guy in ‘Black Star Warrior’ on youtube. If you haven’t seen that fan film you should check it out.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:30 PM   #1860
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

Not seeing Solo pre-bookings available at my local Cineplex. Anyone know the magic date?
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote