Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-31-2015, 09:26 PM   #1
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.
Time travel vacation! Where would you go?

So you've been given a time machine but you can only use it to go on vacation, where do you go? While on vacation housing be able to change anything (so no killing Hitler) or bring anything back with you (sorry, no 20 mint copies of Acton Comics #1 as a "souvenir" from your vacay in 1938), but you will have unlimited currency to do what you want. You can also bounce around the decade you are in to attend different events.

Watching The Goldberg's has really nudged my nostalgia bug, so I'd love to go back to the 80's and spend some time there. Listen to the music and watch the TV shows as they're new and go to some friggin' awesome concerts.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:01 AM   #2
Wheeltron
Maximal
Re: Time travel vacation! Where would you go?

Assuming it can move in both time and space I would have lots of different stops to make across history but I think it would be especially important to spend some time in every decade of the 1900's. Studying history (I'm minoring in it) can only give a partial picture. Actually living in another time would be so surreal. I would be content to keep my head down as a fly on the wall, do normal things, and take in historic moments as they happen.

There was a great documentary about the assassination of JFK I watched a few years ago but it was completely pieced together news footage covering the event. So like, after awhile it seemed like this was unfolding before your eyes. And it was scary. I got a small bit of what that must have felt like. I can only imagine what all of it must have felt like.

I was only in the 1st grade when 9/11 happened, but even then I could feel the magnitude of what was happening to some degree. Those moments are just, so huge.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:12 AM   #3
steamwhistle
Crossover

It would be great to travel back to see historic buildings in their glory days, and to go further back to watch the design and building of such buildings.

It would be interesting to try to find out what was documented incorrectly in history, or the true story of how things happened. Who, in France, thought the Statue of Liberty would be a great gift for the US?

On a slightly negative note, I can't help but consider the racial angle. Me, being a non-caucasian guy... How would I be treated in certain parts of the world? In the 1970's, Canada wasn't a multiculturally-friendly place -- not like it is today. If I travel to the 1880's, I'd probably keep my time travel doohickey-thing close so I don't get kicked off to build a railroad.

However, I think it would be simply amazing to see where I live now... Niagara... To see how the land and landscape changed over the years... Did Niagara Falls really erode southwards creating the Niagara River as it is seen today? How did the War of 1812 affect devlopment in the area? How was the Welland Canal built? I would really love to see how my hometown started and changed over the years.

Even if it is slightly against the rules, at the very least, I hope I'd be able to take pictures, like Doc & Marty with the historic clock tower. Thoses would be amazing keepsakes, even though everyone today would think they were photoshopped...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Feedback thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=steamwhistle
steamwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:54 AM   #4
chans formers
raff ow roud

lolz, i'd go back to the begginning of the birth of humanity and watch as the "annunaki" land and mess with the local primates DNA and make us lolz.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:21 PM   #5
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chans formers View Post
lolz, i'd go back to the begginning of the birth of humanity and watch as the "annunaki" land and mess with the local primates DNA and make us lolz.
That would be the very definition of "changing things"!

And as my rules were written I see no problem with pictures. Like you said, nobody would believe they were real.

I'd also like to see the defeat of the Spanish armada by the British navy, I'd also like to see the 7 wonders of the ancient world like the Great Pyramid in its glory, the lighthouse of Alexandria, etc. I'd DEFINITELY want my camera for that trip!
Old 02-01-2015, 02:52 PM   #6
Xtreme987
Metroplex

I'd go back to 1984 & buy up all the kewl TF figures I missed out on (since I just started my collection in 2013). Could care less where the actual vacation is as long as there is a TRU or other department store around to get my TF's.

Last edited by Xtreme987; 02-01-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Xtreme987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:32 PM   #7
Rev
Addict

I don't know. All I can think is I'd go back to may of 2003 and prevent myself from marrying Satan's offspring. But since that contravenes your rules... I don't know.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:34 PM   #8
Xtreme987
Metroplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
I don't know. All I can think is I'd go back to may of 2003 and prevent myself from marrying Satan's offspring. But since that contravenes your rules... I don't know.
For your sake, I hope "Satan's offspring" doesn't read that comment .... LoL
Xtreme987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:45 PM   #9
Rev
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme987 View Post
For your sake, I hope "Satan's offspring" doesn't read that comment .... LoL
Let her. I performed that exorcism three years ago. I'm free ! Lol.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:18 AM   #10
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave 75 View Post
but you will have unlimited currency to do what you want.
Unlimited, eh?

USA

"10 million dollars 'donated' to your marketing fund, Sunbow, to give me a voice role in a certain movie you are currently producing for next year."

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote