Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-31-2010, 01:33 PM   #11
JLvatron
Chosen 1
Re: G1 vs GI JOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Galvatron View Post
I love the original G1 Joe movie. Not that it touched the Transformers Movie, but I do like it a lot. Not familiar with the show itself though. Might get around to seeing it sometime.
Yah, the movie rapped. Not nearly as much as Transformers the movie, but it was still some serious drama and fun action.

I recommend watching the GIjoe series, it was great. I have the shout TF Matrix set, but I'm not getting GIJ. May borrow it from a friend in a few years to view but I doubt I'll buy it.

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:30 PM   #12
Brrjit
Turbo revvin' young punk.

I just love Cobra Commander.

WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!

..::"Secrets are the foundation of power"::..
Brrjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:40 PM   #13
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
I have the old Rhino series of transformers and I enjoy them for what they are. And yes there are a few stinkers, but I guess that is cartoons for you. I do need to check out GI Joe again as it has been a while.
I agree, you have to enjoy them for what they are. I think a lot of the disappointment I hear from people who see the old shows now, having not seen them for 20+ years, comes from the hazy remembrances of childhood.
Which means you have to watch them through the eyes of a child. Of course they're not going to be up to our standards now, but the reason we loved them back then is because we were kids, and they were written for kids. You can't compare G1 to BW/BM/Ani because those three, while being written for kids, were also written with the knowledge that there is a sizable adult fanbase. Something that didn't exist in the 80's.

I've played both shows for kids and they love it. They don't see the problems that we see becaue they speak to them on their level.

I love them both, but I've always loved the TF's more.

I got screwed when Rhino lost the rights and got stuck with an incomplete set of GI Joe dvds. So I bought the complete set for myself and just re-gifted the Rhino ones to a friend. Now he just has to wait for Shout to put out the last half of GI Joe S2.

On reflection, as a kid I probably had more Joes than TFs, but only because they were cheaper, and it was easier to haul around 20 Joes vs 20 TFs.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:41 PM   #14
racerguy76
Nexus Maximus

I only saw season1 of G1 tf as a child and the movie was rental several times. Even back then I saw them as a toy commercial, not long on story, but fun to watch. Watching season 1 again was great and I did enjoy season2. I wasn't expecting much, and was more interested in just seeing it. Yeah there are some bad ones, but watching origins like Superior and Bruticus was worth it.

Never saw a single gijoe episode, but the movie got rented all the time. My mom would say "You want that again?" The first 15 episodes were 3, 5 part mini series and with a larger story arc to carry them they were still just ok(keeping a space shuttle from launching with chains and hiss tanks). the later episode are mostly stand alone or maybe the odd 2 or 3 part episodes. Some I thought were really good, but most were way out in left field(snake eyes break dancing).

Again, I'm glad I watched them, but they are what they are. I still see some vehicle on tv and go ""Oh I want that." They still work.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:03 PM   #15
CobraCommander
ありがとう任天堂 ಠ_ಠ

I love both franchises very much, but for Joe I'm mostly interested in the new 25th ani single carded figs, I just love old style artwork! For TF I pretty much like all the toys and collect a vast majority of them.

As far as the shows are concerned, yeah G1 TF is tough to watch, especially the artwork during S3-4.. ugh. I always preffered when TFs were real World vechicles over wacky/crazy futureistitc vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brrjit View Post
I just love Cobra Commander.
Awww shucks... you're making me blush
G.I.Joe Figures - Hisstank

Feedback Threads:
Cybertron.ca
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:32 PM   #16
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave 75 View Post
Which means you have to watch them through the eyes of a child. Of course they're not going to be up to our standards now, but the reason we loved them back then is because we were kids, and they were written for kids. You can't compare G1 to BW/BM/Ani because those three, while being written for kids, were also written with the knowledge that there is a sizable adult fanbase. Something that didn't exist in the 80's.
Absolutely. Like I said, I really haven't seen that much G1 - the toys are what fuelled my obsession. They're loud, colorful toy commercials and that's fine. Let me rephrase the gist of my post. I didn't expect much out of Transformers G1; those expectations were 'met' (with some surprise at just how bad it can be). I am, however, quite surprised that GI JOE (IMO) is more enjoyable to watch as an adult. Better writing, art/animation.

Quote:
Now he just has to wait for Shout to put out the last half of GI Joe S2.
Shout! is putting out GI Joe Season 2 as one set! Same with TF 3 & 4, one box. =)
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:30 PM   #17
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

i watched the gij show for a few episodes, can't get into it or the characters compared to g1, there was a reason i never got into joes as a kid, recently got the 82-91 joe toy collection, only vehicles i liked were the night raven and the hydrofoil, the rest were kind of boring and hollow

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:43 PM   #18
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

I've been watching the newly released GIJoe season as well of late, but have gotta say I'm still prefering the original Transformers cartoon.

GIJoe is still fun though(even though I hate what they did with Stormshadow in that cartoon....or at least what I've seen of it thus far.), but for me it doesn't compare to G1.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:58 PM   #19
Protoman
The Legend

G1 is well........... G1. It's an 80s cartoon. It has CHARM, but it does not age well. For the longest time (Before the internet was in full swing) the best way to get your G1 fix was the rental video store, and what did they have normally. Transformers: The Movie, and thus why many on a broad level view G1 in such high regard.

Transformers: The Movie? Bad ass, slick and dark for it's time and even today still can fill a room. I myself did 2 public showings of the G1 Movie during college with AMAZING results.

GI Joe is really a person to person thing, you either LOVE IT or HATE IT.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:07 AM   #20
Richter
Nexus Maximus

The stories in GI Joe were formulaic, but they were creative! Transformers definitely went downhill after the first season, but season 3 got better I found, especially a lot of the time travel eps went more into the mythos, but again a lot were downright awful as well. Very inconsistent.

The only problem with GI Joe though? "YO JOE!!!" Every few seconds
It almost gave my girlfriend a brain haemorrhage

Current Wants:
  • Horsey Prime
Richter is offline   Reply With Quote