Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 12-18-2014, 03:18 PM   #1
zfarsh
Armada
Question for MP-08X owners

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has MP-08X, and what are your thoughts on the colors on the silver vs dull grey body of MP-08 or FT-04 are in comparison.

If you are in the GTA, I am even willing to pay you to just see it (if it is ok with you, otherwise, don't even worry about it) and compare it to my regular Takara MP-08.

The thing is, I have to make a very big decision before January on if I want to go with the regular FT dinos, or with their X version which is the shinny silver colors, and not having the MP-08X in hands makes it difficult for me. Also, I don't have an FT Scoria yet, but my guess is the grey is similar to MP-08, vs the much nicer dark grey that FansProject is using on their little dinos.

So is the silver that much nicer that you keep admiring it and wanting to pick it up? Under a lamp with daylight bulb, is it just too shinny that it is difficult to watch, or does it stay great and shows the details much more?

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can share to help me make this decision.
zfarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #2
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!
Re: Question for MP-08X owners

Hi z,

Although I don't own MP-8X, I do own the various WST versions that use the same finish. All I can say is the silver paint looks fantastic. I never wanted to put it down. In fact, WST Comic Grimlock is probably m favorite TF figure ever. I also have the rest of the dinos blinged up if you ever want to get an idea.

BUT...

From the pics that FT provided, it is impossible to tell whether their silver paint is the same as MP-8X. From the picture it looks metallic bluish grey.

Have you asked dalianjj if it's straight metallic silver or something different? That would be my first step.

If you are ok with the shade he goes with, then yes, I would suggest go for the X versions. The metallic paint will look stellar. If I could financially do it, I would get all the X versions too.

Of course this is just one persons opinion.

And yes MP-8 and Scoria have the same shade grey. Well at least my Hasbro 2010 version does. Exact colour match. Even the Grimlock boots.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:52 PM   #3
zfarsh
Armada

Ok thanks Multiplex. There are only 2 official pics available of the FT Dino X Series, so it's hard for me to know, but I will ask him more details about it.

How do you feel about the FT-04 that you own, I mean the grey part, as compared to that of say the FP dark grey? In some video reviews, the dark grey on scoria seem good, just that I have MP-08 in person, and I feel it is on the light / dull side.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:55 PM   #4
CPrime
Generation 2

I have both the previous TRU MP-08 and the re-released MP-08X and have to say that the dull grey doesn't compare to the vivid silver colours of the X version. I'm not such a fan of the navy blue replacing the black colouring though, so each version has its strengths and weaknesses. If you want, send me a PM and I can take some side-by-side comparison shots on the weekend and send them to you.
CPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:14 PM   #5
MULTIPLEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfarsh View Post

How do you feel about the FT-04 that you own, I mean the grey part, as compared to that of say the FP dark grey? In some video reviews, the dark grey on scoria seem good, just that I have MP-08 in person, and I feel it is on the light / dull side.
I like the grey on Scoria because it matches MP-8 and also my G1 dinobots and WST dinobots. I don't find it dull at all. If you are comparing to the new Hasbro MP-8 release this year, then yes, I have heard that grey is "duller" then the original releases.

Edit:

Found this old picture I took with various finishes. The two on the bottom right and metallic silver.

Last edited by MULTIPLEX; 12-18-2014 at 04:19 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 12-19-2014, 10:10 AM   #6
zfarsh
Armada

Thanks guys, for sharing the info and picture.

It seems that the Silver on the FT dinos X version will be closer to the re-release of the MP-08X, which CPrime mentioned he had. So a bit less shinny than the original MP-08X, but still, some shinny, and I have seen a review from Paik4Life and it seemed good.

I changed my lighting last night to a warmer white, and it helps somewhat, but still, the FP dinos have a nicer darker grey comparatively, but maybe I am picky.

@Multiplex:
Is it me, or does the original G1 normal size slags look like they have a darker (almost metallic, though not quite) finish than FT-04? Might be the lighting. Nice collection by the way, it sure gives me an appreciation for the G1 and WST dinos.

@CPrime:
Yeah, blue wasn't my favorite, and the FT versions are fixing that by having that black... So with the silver, you can see the details more and want to pick up the dino much more than the regular one?
Old 12-19-2014, 11:12 AM   #7
CPrime
Generation 2

For me, I think it's just more of a preference for the brighter, more metallic silver colouring than anything else. The gold is also a bit darker than with the regular release, which I don't actually like as much. You can get a good comparison of the colours from the image Multiplex posted above.
CPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 01:42 AM   #8
MULTIPLEX

If the X version is within your budget, for got it. Personally, I want grey like my G1 and MP-8. Mainly because of nostalgia. That feeling is priceless.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:42 AM   #9
zfarsh
Armada

^ I've always known the Dinos as dark grey too....

I changed my lighting from Daylight to Soft White (Warm Yellow color), and MP-08 looks much better.

I know that the X will be better in the end, but I would have liked to display my FP dinos with my FT dinos, and I don't know if I can wait the extra time to get all the X. I could get all 4 members this year if I go with regular versions (none X), and then next year, decide what to do about FT Grimlock.

All that said, I haven't made up my mind yet!!! LOL. It bothers me that the X version could be potentially much better, for a 25$ extra.... Wish I could get to see the Re-Issue of MP-08X in person (less shinnier than original MP-08X)
Old 12-21-2014, 04:25 AM   #10
zfarsh
Armada

Switching to X version, thank you guys!!!

Now the extremely long wait begins.