Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 03-16-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..
Crazy Echo's Predaking Thigh and Waist Extensions (Shapeways)

UPDATE, Sept. 24th, 2012

The kit is done and available on Shapeways for order!!!

http://www.shapeways.com/model/68162...-kit-v2-1.html

Here are some pictures:

As you can see I've also finished my Hercules kit, more info in another thread...

Old info:

Okay--didn't know whether to put this under "Scratchbuilds" or "Minor Mods"...from a work standpoint this project was pretty hefty but the end result is pretty minor so...minor mods it is.

For those interested in a detailed, step-by-step account of how I did this project--read along. For everyone else, just skip to the pics below.

The Story:

Unlike many in the fandom, I loved the CrazyDevy kit for Devastator (especially the thighs), so when they started on Predaking I purchased every single over-priced and potentially toy-damaging part. That silhouette was just too epic to not get on board early, wallet be damned.

And I waited for the thighs.

And waited.

And waited.

And then I start seeing Hercules upgrades...hmm...will Predaking ever be finished?

WTF, no upgraded thighs CrazyDevy? No leg rotation? No improved height and stance? Sheesh!

So I made some myself!!!!

The Design:

I decided to do my first Shapeways project. As I knew this was going to pricey, I wanted to do as much design in advance.

First, I started with some concept sketches:

Next, I did a very rough mockup in Lego. The big thing I wanted to make sure is that I wasn't going to make any huge mistakes...this way, I could prove the design would at least work in theory:

With the lego mockup looking good, I started doing the CAD design...but my wife said "Sheesh, his waist it too short". And you know what, I agreed. I thought "There's no way Crazydevy is going to do a waist, so I'll do that and at least be somewhat novel should they every make some thighs".

SO...Back to the sketchboard:

After taking Razorclaw apart, I realized it wasn't as simple as just sliding a piece in there...I needed to somehow keep the ratcheting mechaism. I designed a plunger that would activate the spring and still put pressure on the ratchet, while also locking to the top half.

Something I was aiming for was no screws...I'm not as familiar with how tapping screws work with Shapeways resins, so I decided to do friction fits instead.

As one last check, I did a digital mockup using CAD and pictures...

After much computer time, I uploaded the parts to Shapeways:

Coming up next: The parts arrive and I assemble the beast!!!

Last edited by Echotransformer; 01-21-2016 at 11:15 PM. Reason: updated kit availability...
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
Echotransformer
Re: Crazy Echo's Predaking Thigh and Waist Extensions (Shapeways)

The Arrival

Well UPS showed up today, so I cracked open the small box and took a look at my parts. Shapeways is a great setup...highly recommended if you have the means to make some 3D CAD files.

I was close on most of the dimensions, but some sanding/fitting was needed. This is my first version, and even with some tolerance baked in things were too tight. Oh well, better than being too loose!

Here's the waist mechanism installed:

Note the details on the back...

Next, the thighs--they needed the most sanding/filing:

Here's how the screwless design works...you just slide the rotating part in. The leg will rotate 360 degrees (although if both legs are installed they collide at some point).

On the back I gave the thighs an accordian look.

A key design decision was to move Predaking's body forward, and centre his weight more over top of his legs...it both looks better and is more stable. It's hard to show a picture of this, so these lines give you an idea. His whole body is about 1cm further forward now.

Here's Predaking with just my parts installed....

Last edited by Echotransformer; 01-21-2016 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
Echotransformer

Here are pics with the outrageous CD parts and my parts installed. It's a total riot...subtle this thing is NOT.

Who's your daddy?

Hell even Herc has too look up to somebody now...he's my tallest Combiner!!!

SUMMARY:

A huge learning experience, overall the project was a success. A second version is needed, but really after only a couple of hours I had it working. It is strong and stable. Let me know if you're interested in V2 and feel free to make any suggestions...the detailed geometry is hard to see in these pictures so I'll probably post some closer CAD shots if there's enough interest.

Last edited by Echotransformer; 03-16-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:12 PM   #4
Echotransformer

UPDATE:

I painted the parts today...the texture on the Shapeways material is very hard and despite a lot of sanding the texture still shows through. It doesn't look too bad, just different than the glossy black on the die-cast. I used a gold paint marker and offcuts from decal sheets for gold trim.

For those interested in what Razorclaw looks like, the answer is "not that bad", but I did realize this would throw off his proportions so I always had a second project in mind...

And that project is to make lemonade from the lemons and create arm extensions. Here's the concept study:

And here's a lego mockup. I'll need to make them shorter than the lego, but it give you the idea. The arms will fold up beside the new waist to add bulk. An offset in the forearm will help snug up alongside the waist. I'm pretty jazzed about it...I think it will 'fill in' his waist nicely.

More pics with the lego mod in place...time to get back to the CAD!!!

Last edited by Echotransformer; 03-17-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:54 PM   #5
Pascal
Banned

Impressive! How's the lion like that waist extension now?
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:55 PM   #6
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

That's awesome, which material did you select?

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:36 AM   #7
vohkuhl
Cybertron

Very impressive, wish I had the skill to do my own shapeway... I'd be doing tons of weapons
Old 03-17-2012, 01:57 AM   #8
racerguy76
Nexus Maximus

Nice work dude. Impressive stuff.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #9
chans formers
raff ow roud

lolz,"who's you're daddy?"
nice additions echo!
good on you to make it a point to shove his whole upper torso forward to.
the worst offender for tipping backwards is the metal version,and i think you just solved that issue.
the proportions are sweet now too.
does the waist extension chunk for razorclaw now throw off his bot mode proportions?
Old 03-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #10
Oreobot
Beasty

Kudos to you. That looks great. I'm curious about where you got the spring from? Can you buy little ones like that somewhere? I've wondered about both where to get little springs and screws for this kind of thing.
Oreobot is offline   Reply With Quote