Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 12-03-2023, 10:28 AM   #11
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions
Re: Santa Prime is coming to town ? 2023 Advent

December 3 - Fans Toys FT-49 Phantasm

Posted 12/19/22.

9,679 likes

Surprisingly the only Fans Toys figure to make the list which I am genuinely surprised at given how many people like Fans Toys products.

So we have another journey into FT that I probably could have avoided. I have the OM/MMC TFCon Toronto exclusive but I decided that I wanted something with a solid coloured body rather than the half paint/half transparent option. I probably could have gone with the TE version a long time ago but at the time I had heard QC was hit and miss and just didn't want to run that risk. Many years ago I did buy the DX9 Invisible which wasn't bad from what I can recall and also the Cocomone repaint which I really, really regret selling.

Well regardless of all that I'll definitely have to decide if I will keep the MMC but if you want a G1 toon accurate Mirage then this is definitely the one you want, if you want articulation then you would be better with something else. It's not that Phantasm is bad, it’s just that MMC and TE have more in that department. At the very least, more ankle tilt is required on this guy to really hit the poses you want. Transformation is pretty good but I had a hard getting the top of the cockpit to stay closer to the hood so there was an unsightly gap in the front end. I pulled the top and bottom apart again after I wrote this (and after I took pics) and actually got it to close a lot better so I’ll have to redo the alt mode pics and in theory you won’t see it now. Now the weapon confused me a bit as the handle does fold down but for the life of me I couldn’t figure out where it went. From the few reviews I saw hoping that it would be referenced there was no such luck so low and behold I actually had to look in a manual for the first time in years and heaven forbid, there it was and definitely was not the blatantly obvious choice. It actually looks pretty good and seeing it really pointed out the powder blue colouring he has seeing it under a regular light.

In the end he is a great looking figure, not without his "flaws" if you can call them that, but definitely the definitive G1 toon accurate Mirage.

wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 09:45 AM   #12
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

December 4 - TransArt BWM-07 Metal Mouse

Posted 12/12/22.

9,783 likes

The following statement may seem subjective to some people but what I say is the honest truth. This figure is an absolute grand slam and probably the best figure to date from TransArt. I say subjective as people may think that because it has that "new car smell" that would be the reason but it's honestly not. For whatever reason it really has a presence, has been very well engineered, looks awesome and a solid build. It's still not perfect but, I think, this is the best put together figure they have done to date (at least for the 5 that I own from them) and they just seem to be getting better with each release.

Now when I say not perfect, I don't think there is anything actually wrong with it but there are things they could have done but honestly didn't have to. Example being they could have made the fingers individually articulated but it isn't necessary so hopefully that makes sense to everyone. He comes with a ton of accessories which is nice, they look great as well.

For the figure itself in robot mode as I said earlier, he looks great and this is probably my favourite version of Rattrap. I like his actual character in Beast Wars, in Beast Machines not so much. In BW he may have been a bit of a coward, was always the eternal pessimist but in BM they turned him into a total wimp, especially throughout the first 4 or 5 episodes but discussion about that another time. He does have enough articulation to get him through a lot of decent poses with 1 exception. Because of the large backpack he can't swing his legs back at all but I don't believe that is such a hinderance for him. Now having mentioned the backpack, he is very back heavy but you can work around it in one of three ways from what I have been able to figure out. His jaw also articulates so I guess you don't need extra faces as he can get a few expressions depending on how far you open his jaw.

1) There is a weighted stand that clips into the back that basically keeps him standing upright

2) If you simply stand him straight up and just bend slightly at the ankles it isn?t a lot to throw off the look

3) The heel spurs do bend down so if you go that route, it doesn't look like he's leaning forward but they don't lock so it would have the potential to fall.

For his tail/spear you have two options, either the bendy wire one (which is needed for beast/vehicle mode) or a solid metal one. Based on how the gripping handle is done you can use the die cast one in the right hand and the bendy wire in the left as each has its own adapter that are shared by the handle. Now for some reason I have seen 2 reviews and they insist on leaving both adapters on which make no sense simply because it isn't screen accurate and 1 honestly had no clue how it worked (his admission, not mine). I did shoot both of them but when it comes to display him, I will be using the diecast version. His gun has a foldable handle and I?ll be honest I'm not sure why so if anyone does, please let me know. It would have been nice if we could attach it to his hip but as far as I know that can't be done.
His wheels do detach so he can use them as a shield and although the handles come loose in a bag they can be stored under the wheels when not in use and man does the chrome look good on this guy by the way. In his forearms he does carry detonating bombs and they are very well integrated into the robot mode.

For beast mode the transformation is a bit more involved than any of their previous figures. Warning, there are some thin pieces of plastic somewhere around the arms so watch how you transform those. I didn't have any issues but have heard of it happening at least once so bear that in mind. The front legs are on a swivel or slider so make sure you bring them down as I didn't see that at first. For the back legs they are on sliders under the wheels and do have a tendency to pop out when being moved. After the first two or three times they slid with no issue but I guess they were a bit stiff at first but all good now.
The joints are all friction joints in bot and beast mode and they seem a bit weak in beast mode. Not terrible but noticeable. The ears on the rat head can move but I didn't know that at the time. His tongue can also move up and down but it is thin and when I tried to move it, it didn't want to so I wasn't going to force it and risk it breaking. I was really impressed with all the panels underneath in the stomach area which really hides all the robot parts extremely well.

Vehicle mode (if you can call it that) is also well done, no issues with rolling on the wheels but depending on what you are doing (and I will explain) the sliders on the top of the rear wheels don?t lock in place and the pegs at the bottom peg in but not secure enough. Now if it is vehicle mode only you shouldn't run into the aforementioned issues, however, he comes with a clear clip that goes into his back that allows for Dinobot to actually ride him as done on the show. I have 2 problems with this and again could be just my copy. First because Dinobot is such a porker as Rattrap says, his weight causes my back wheels to come undone so I had to constantly readjust and the second being that because I have the KO Dinobot the tab doesn't fit into the butt securely but I would have no clue if there is a difference on the hole size between the official and the KO. It was time consuming to actually get him up there in a position close to the show but ultimately worth the price of admission. Also, in this mode bendy wire tail needed and everyone kept mentioning that you need to straighten the tail for this which is not accurate. You would only need it perfectly straight if you want to trip up TM Megs. They were many instances where he was driving on the show and the tail was curved, moving etc. so your toy display as you wish as you know who says. He also comes with flame effects that can be inserted into the exhaust which is a nice added touch bit would rather that they plugged in from the inside rather than the outside.

The transformation back to bot mode can be a bit of a pain when you have to tab the back of the body into the bottom of the rat head. Took me quite a few tries with a spudger to get it properly lined up and tabbed into place but did get it eventually. Beast Wars isn't for everyone and I get that but if you are into it, collect MP's or MP scale bots then I would say this is an absolute must for you and can't wait to see what TransArt does next and would really hope for Tarantulas.

Old 12-04-2023, 10:34 AM   #13
Collectingtoys
Kid of the 80's

Wonderful photos, glad to see you brought this Advent thread back this year.

Your efforts & contributions to this board are very much appreciated!
Collectingtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 07:50 PM   #14
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collectingtoys View Post
Wonderful photos, glad to see you brought this Advent thread back this year.

Your efforts & contributions to this board are very much appreciated!
Thanks I appreciate that.

And remember folks, you gotta read first post to enter
Old 12-05-2023, 08:07 AM   #15
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

December 5 - Mastermind Creations Ocular Max PS-21 Medicus

Posted 4/21/23.

10,706 likes

This is going to be my first foray into the world of MMC combiners and I'm not going to say I look forward to the experience due to combined mode size. I did go in with the hope that one day Like Toys does a kit to increase his size to Zeta scale. Now having said that I could have went the XTB route but MMC makes a much better figure in general and trust their quality a great deal more.

As for Medicus he is a good figure overall decent articulation although I'm not fond of the shoulders. I wish that there was a tab for the transformation joint to stay in place so the actual shoulder joint would move rather than having to fight both. The knee is limited but sufficient and won't matter much ultimately when the other 3 get released since they will go into combined mode anyway.

Old 12-05-2023, 11:15 AM   #16
evenstaves
you renegade maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wervenom View Post
CUTE AF
evenstaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 09:38 AM   #17
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

December 6 - RW-01 Rhino Warrior
Posted 3/6/23.

10,448 likes

OK so I was jonesing for a purchase and had some points with ShowZ and since the Beast Alliance Airazor was a good MP filler I decided to bite the bullet. Now I'll be totally honest as I really preferred the Generations release of Rhinox over the Kingdom version and wish they had upscaled that one instead, but until someone makes an official MP or good 3P equivalent this will have to do. I really can't complain at all with regards to this purchase and would definitely recommend it as an MP filler. The one thing that really bugs me is that on the original the tail section doesn't really match the colour the legs but at least they are close. On this version they made the tail green so WTF is that about?

Old 12-07-2023, 08:17 AM   #18
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

December 7 - Metagate G-04 Air King

Posted 2/16/23.

10,521 likes

First thing I have to say is he looks good. He has a bit of heft to him, nothing significant but it's there. I don't know how much diecast he has as all I could see was the metal bar under his neck that runs through the torso. I decided to transform him right out of the box and for the most part the transformation isn't too bad. I'm not 100% sure I got the knee placement correctly as the wings don't tab in securely so I'll have to play with it a bit more before I start shooting. I would imagine everyone's biggest complaint is the silver panel under the pterodactyl head that is meant to go over the front. I had a hell of a time trying to get it over to fit. There is some type of channel that it needs to fit in between and after a few minutes I gave up trying and used a spudger to separate the chest to get it wide enough to fit. The flight stand is "meh" at best. I wish it had a bit of articulation to it like most of the stands out there to get decent angles when flying.

Beast mode has a bit of articulation. Head can move up and down, very little side to side but you can rotate the neck. It's awkward looking depending on the angle but you can make it work. Mouth can open and the tongue move up and down so you can get some interesting looks. You can shift the pupils back and forth so it appears he is looking in different directions but I think the left eye on mine is a bit off as the pupil doesn't seem as pronounced as the right. You can't get very much out of the wings due to transformation with the exception of the tips so no real dynamic flying poses in this mode. Feet can move back and forth and ankles can go side to side but I find those joints exceptionally loose. I'm sure a bit of polish can tighten them up. Also, the back toe can flip out so he can "stand" in beast mode.

Transformation back to bot mode is considerably easier. The overall look of bot mode is pretty good although he has a lot of visible screws and pins more so that any other figure I've worked with in recent memory. I have a few nitpicks but the good far outweighs the bad. I can't get his torso to lock in all the time. It will stay tabbed together until I start posing him and the it just pops loose, not sure if that is a common problem or just my copy. His butt plate seems to get in the way of any backwards leg movement and the beast feet really don't tab into the arm. They are stable enough but if they could just fit into the arm just a little bit better I would have appreciated that. The last thing I can think of is what irks me the most and it's such a stupid little thing. I hate how his thumbs look. Having them on a pin rather than a ball joint just makes it look stupid.

Articulation is pretty good overall, nice head movement, double jointed elbows and knees, ankle tilt is there but a little on the weak side. Good movement out of the shoulders plus they can swing forward a bit so he can almost cross his arms. He has a decent amount of weaponry, what I would consider just the right amount so you don't have a ton of accessories just sitting in the box after you display him. Although he comes with three faces I only used two as I really can't tell the difference between the two non-smiling faces. The smiling face is what I like the most out of the three, just because he is treacherous and the "Starscream" really comes out in him with that smirk.

In the end I am pretty impressed with what they have done and as it seems different companies going after different seasons with Beast Wars, I really hope this company tackles Scorponok and Waspinator as I'd be down with that.

Old 12-07-2023, 12:30 PM   #19
urfwc
Beasty

Nicely done.... great detailed write ups and super photos. Thanks again.

http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=65059
urfwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 09:27 AM   #20
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

December 8 - X-Transbots MX-XIX Prosecutor Le Poulpe
Metagate G-04 Air King

Posted 2/7/23.

11,057 likes

This is turning into quite the expensive Q1 to say the least with a bunch of pre-orders arriving. Unfortunately, due to the way he was packaged the box was damaged. It's like he was an Alien trying to burst forth from a human's chest. Once I had him in hand I had to order his batteries from Amazon since they don't use the same one as the Judge. The "asparagus" arms are bendy wire and have to be attached and at least it's pretty simple to get them on. One of the screw covers was missing but fortunately found it within the plastic wrap that is used to protect the figure so all good. He's a decent size and will have to get him in a few pics with the Judge to see if there is any height difference. I am curious to know which (if any) Quints XTB plans on doing next. I wouldn't mind a scientist so I can round them out as I am sure 3 Quints would be my max. The 3 faced guy from "The Dweller in the Depths" would be interesting but I don't think I'd be into that.

I didn't realize how large the tentacles were until I put him into the case that will be his new home. Now bear in mind, I think overall it's a well done figure and I don't want to come out swinging with criticisms and most likely any issues I have is just with my copy with the exception of one. You'll have to let me know in the comments so I'll get right to it to get it out of the way. With the way my copy works you can only get all features to work on the auto setting. What I would have liked (and if there is a trick lmk) is to get the eyes and mouth to work at the same time. Ideally if the eyes and pillar lit up with the mouth moving and just leave the tentacles motionless that would be best for me. So back to what's normal for my observations. In non-auto mode you can only have one feature working at a time and based on using the switch on his back you get them in the following order

1) Tentacles
2) Mouth
3) Base light
4) Eyes.

I did have some issues with the remote as I couldn't get it to work at all. I installed them as shown, changed out for a new set, flipped them the other way and still couldn't get them to go. What I did then was tried out a set in the Judge?s remote and took the ones from the Judge and placed them in this. For whatever reason they both worked from then on. I took some shots with both remotes together and there are a few differences. The buttons obviously, they use a different shade of the blue/gray and the LED is different. On the Judge it's clear and this one is red. Oddly I?ve never seen the one on the Judge light up when activated but at least with this it does glow red so you know when you have it going.

You get the head to move up, down and side to side and that's pretty much all the manual articulation you're getting on this guy. Well actually I guess the asparagus arms being bendy wire you can articulate those but you have to make sure that you have them bent on whatever angles you like so long as they don't extend past the base so you can get the animatronics to work correctly. In terms of size comparison he is just slightly shorter than the Judge but it's so close it's hard to imagine unless you see them in hand. One thing that I kinda/sorta have to apologize for but it was a learning experience for me so not really an apology was trying to get shots with the arms spinning. I never really play with my camera much beyond white balance although I shoot entirely in manual so my ISO is always at 100. Obviously with the ISO that low I can't get my shutter speed to work in a way that don't make the arms a big blur so I decided to try out various settings to get what I wanted. It's not perfect and the pics may appear noisier/grainier than usual but I'm satisfied enough but at least I now where I want to go when I make the attempt to try pics with moving parts in the future.

Overall it's decent, cheaper than the Judge but if I had to choose between the two, I honestly prefer the Judge overall as I just feel it's a better quality, the features work better. Guess we'll have to see what XTB decides to do next with the Quintessons. Also I don't do videos often but I am going to include a link to show what he does in Auto mode so check it out if you want.