Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 12-15-2011, 07:34 PM   #31
Protoman
The Legend
Re: Do you hate it when....

Aside from your Classics-verse like toys, 90% of Transformers stateside from 2000 till now don't suffer from that. (You can get the ENTIRE RUN OF ARMADA, for like 350 bucks)
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:28 PM   #32
Quanza
Generation 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerguy76 View Post
I'm running into this problem now with the Prime toys. I don't really like them and they are really small for the prices. I finally saw they first 5 episodes(darkness rising) and it's quite enjoyable. I just don't know if that's enough to make me spend the money on that toy line. WIll I regret this choice? I guess we'll see.
I have most of the first edition wave of Prime toys, and there about the same size as animated/classics deluxes so far, and voyager Prime is larger then classics prime. Granted, Cliffjumper is a tad on the small size, but then again, I keep expecting him to say he's the most electrifying bot in cybertronian entertainment", so i may be jaded lol. I attached some pics, cause seeing is believing, and a picture is worth a thousand words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandoclone87 View Post

Still trying to hunt down a decent priced Bruticus (preferably with FP add-ons), and Skywarp (last seeker needed to complete the core set of 6). Unfortunately, my budget is not high enough to afford the 2nd hand pricing of either figure.
I lucked out, I went to a local shop here and they had a used, still in box, magnus and skywarp that they must have had for years, cause the tag said 30 bucks. Granted, I took the half a second to decide to buy it, and giggled all the way home lol

But back to the original topic, I hated that when I started collecting Animated, and that's why I started on the Prime toys right off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03085.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	12646   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03090.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	12647   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03095.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	12648  
Quanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #33
Knockout
I can't anymore. Done.

I have been watching Animated and now I suddenly want Jetfire and Jetstorm. lol

As soon as we hit 100 likes we will be having a sale!

Knockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:12 AM   #34
Hylo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper6 View Post
Is it really that hard to consider? For some of us, it is budgeting concerns, unemployment is a killer for collecting, the same as minimum wage slaves who barely make enough to support their living, let alone their hobbies.
Yeah, actually it is a bit. I don't make stellar money by any means, I'm not rich, hell I barely make more than minimum wage, but I find ways I guess.

Quote:
Factor in the pricing issues on anything above a Deluxe and is it any wonder that some fans are still missing a lot of pricier, Voyager and up figures from their collections?
Yup, as I said, Classics was a VERY small line, it originally had only a few figures.

Quote:
Just because you're actively collecting doesn't mean you can afford it all when it's released, there are also many of us who collect more than just Transformers. Comics, Star Wars, GIJoe, Marvel Universe, Mattel's Masters Of the Universe. When you're buying several different toylines then you have to pick and choose, and when you see a figure shelfwarming for nine months straight, you figure you have time to get him at Retail when you can afford it. Sometimes you get it, sometimes you don't/can't.
See this boggles my mind, if you can't collect one thing and get everything you want, why spead that disappointment to several different lines of toys? If you can barely afford one toy line, IMO maybe you shouldn't collect others. You might find then you have the money to get everything you want from one.

I enjoy other stuff, I simply choose not to collect it, one reason is money, the other is space.

Quote:
And there is why I pity those of us who collect MOSC/MISB figures, if it's what you enjoy as a collector then good on you, but personally if I can't get a figure MOSC, as long as he's loose complete I'll pick him up from a fellow boardmember or local hobby shop. At least I have the figure I really wanted, but couldn't get at the time from retailers due to my budget.
Why? I'm not 7 I don't need to play with my toys to enjoy them. One can get plenty of enjoyment simply from purchasing and keeping something new and fresh looking. I can't fathom why people want to open everything. If I want to open a figure I buy 2, one to keep mint and one to open.

Quote:
It's loads of fun to crack open a toy brand new, but if it can't be done, it can't be done. And keeping them all Mint in the Box for display and stuff just sounds crazy to me, considering the size alone of mose of those Voyager and up boxes, space issues must be a nightmare. Unless the collector in question owns their house or something and don't have to worry about wife and the kids situation.
I own my house, I collect, my wife accepts it, if she didn't sjhe would be here, it's a pretty simple thing. Collecting is part of who I am and when she promised to be with me in life, she did so under the premise she would accept me as I am, that includes collecting. I pity those of you who have wives who are so self absorbed they can't stand their husbands collecting or reading comics or playing video games. That to me is stupid.
Hylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:54 AM   #35
shabooya
Banned

LOL...
lets not forget the cost of living in NB versus areas of Canada like Vancouver or Toronto...

I bet my property taxes per month are more than yours are for the year...lol
shabooya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:56 AM   #36
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylo View Post
Yeah, actually it is a bit. I don't make stellar money by any means, I'm not rich, hell I barely make more than minimum wage, but I find ways I guess.
That's why budgeting is such a useful tool. I've managed to stretch out my toy buying funds, even though I'm still actively searching for a job and only get so much a year. But even with careful budgeting I can not afford everything I want, I haven't bought a new Voyager since TRU's sale when I picked up... Either Lugnut or Grapple. And I chose them over the HftD Voyagers I wanted because I knew that they would have a higher demand on the secondary market.

The cost of living is always going up, but our earnings do not adequately reflect this, it's a common probable clear across the globe, and if anyone tells you otherwise than you're a damn idiot for believing them and they're grossly misinformed.

To feed our family alone, my parents, brother and me we barely buy anything and we're spending 60+ on food alone. For just THREE DAYS OF MEALS. And my mom shops just as smart as I do, always looking for the better deal, cheaper price. If she didn't we'd be much worse off than we are, and even then we're in a dark place at the moment. This year, no christmas presants over 30$ I'd wager, probably none at all if it gets to be too expensive.

Quote:
Yup, as I said, Classics was a VERY small line, it originally had only a few figures.
And to this day it is the only line I have completed 100% to my liking.

Quote:
See this boggles my mind, if you can't collect one thing and get everything you want, why spead that disappointment to several different lines of toys? If you can barely afford one toy line, IMO maybe you shouldn't collect others. You might find then you have the money to get everything you want from one.

I enjoy other stuff, I simply choose not to collect it, one reason is money, the other is space..
It's called selective collecting, in my case since I can't afford all the expensive things I go for the cheaper brands that I enjoy. I'm happy enough as it is with the figures I own, sure I don't have an entire line, but I'm not actively going for an entire line. Not to the point where I'd drive myself crazy if I tried to collect several different toylines at once.

It's being clearanced out or on sale, you buy it, plain and simple. Most of my Deluxe Transformers purchases in the last year have been when there was a sale. Everything from HftD and Generations to older RotF figures.

I get what I want and what I can afford that's it, if I can't get it... Sure I might get a little gimmie, gimmie, now, now ocassionally while looking at the pictures online of certain figures, but I don't let it run my life and I certainly don't let it upset me when I see a hole in my collection.

If I thought that way I could never bring myself to sell off what I do in order to afford newer figures that I really want, as opposed to hanging onto older stuff that I only want, for the sake of completeness. Which isn't a healthy deal in the long run.

Quote:
Why? I'm not 7 I don't need to play with my toys to enjoy them. One can get plenty of enjoyment simply from purchasing and keeping something new and fresh looking. I can't fathom why people want to open everything. If I want to open a figure I buy 2, one to keep mint and one to open..
That is a fundamental difference between the collectors who open and the collectors who simply admire them in packaging. Personally if I wanted to do that, I'd just stop by a major retail outlet every so often and stare at the toy isles, why waste money at all if you aren't going to get any enjoyment out of the product the way it was meant to be enjoyed?

That is my personal belief, yours is different, no shame in that. I tried keeping figures MISB/MOSC before, it didn't end well. I get the itch to open something up and BLAM cardboard carnage all over the floor. :lol

Quote:
I own my house, I collect, my wife accepts it, if she didn't sjhe would be here, it's a pretty simple thing. Collecting is part of who I am and when she promised to be with me in life, she did so under the premise she would accept me as I am, that includes collecting. I pity those of you who have wives who are so self absorbed they can't stand their husbands collecting or reading comics or playing video games. That to me is stupid.
You were lucky, I haven't found any significant others yet to share my lifestyles and hobbies, but hopefully when I do she'll be just as supportive. Personally though I've seen a lot of fans complaining about unsuportive spouses from both sexes. If you don't find that special someone who 'gets' you and understands why you enjoy what you enjoy, be it toy collecting or restoring old cars, then you're never going to be happy and she or he is always going to be trying to force you to change, to 'grow up' and fit the norms that society says we grown ups should be.

To that I say, BS!
Old 12-16-2011, 07:41 PM   #37
Hylo
Banned

Quote:
That's why budgeting is such a useful tool. I've managed to stretch out my toy buying funds, even though I'm still actively searching for a job and only get so much a year. But even with careful budgeting I can not afford everything I want, I haven't bought a new Voyager since TRU's sale when I picked up... Either Lugnut or Grapple. And I chose them over the HftD Voyagers I wanted because I knew that they would have a higher demand on the secondary market.

The cost of living is always going up, but our earnings do not adequately reflect this, it's a common probable clear across the globe, and if anyone tells you otherwise than you're a damn idiot for believing them and they're grossly misinformed.

To feed our family alone, my parents, brother and me we barely buy anything and we're spending 60+ on food alone. For just THREE DAYS OF MEALS. And my mom shops just as smart as I do, always looking for the better deal, cheaper price. If she didn't we'd be much worse off than we are, and even then we're in a dark place at the moment. This year, no christmas presants over 30$ I'd wager, probably none at all if it gets to be too expensive.

And to this day it is the only line I have completed 100% to my liking.

It's called selective collecting, in my case since I can't afford all the expensive things I go for the cheaper brands that I enjoy. I'm happy enough as it is with the figures I own, sure I don't have an entire line, but I'm not actively going for an entire line. Not to the point where I'd drive myself crazy if I tried to collect several different toylines at once.

It's being clearanced out or on sale, you buy it, plain and simple. Most of my Deluxe Transformers purchases in the last year have been when there was a sale. Everything from HftD and Generations to older RotF figures.

I get what I want and what I can afford that's it, if I can't get it... Sure I might get a little gimmie, gimmie, now, now ocassionally while looking at the pictures online of certain figures, but I don't let it run my life and I certainly don't let it upset me when I see a hole in my collection.

If I thought that way I could never bring myself to sell off what I do in order to afford newer figures that I really want, as opposed to hanging onto older stuff that I only want, for the sake of completeness. Which isn't a healthy deal in the long run.

That is a fundamental difference between the collectors who open and the collectors who simply admire them in packaging. Personally if I wanted to do that, I'd just stop by a major retail outlet every so often and stare at the toy isles, why waste money at all if you aren't going to get any enjoyment out of the product the way it was meant to be enjoyed?

That is my personal belief, yours is different, no shame in that. I tried keeping figures MISB/MOSC before, it didn't end well. I get the itch to open something up and BLAM cardboard carnage all over the floor. :lol

You were lucky, I haven't found any significant others yet to share my lifestyles and hobbies, but hopefully when I do she'll be just as supportive. Personally though I've seen a lot of fans complaining about unsuportive spouses from both sexes. If you don't find that special someone who 'gets' you and understands why you enjoy what you enjoy, be it toy collecting or restoring old cars, then you're never going to be happy and she or he is always going to be trying to force you to change, to 'grow up' and fit the norms that society says we grown ups should be.

To that I say, BS!
Well said and good points all around, I understand now, thanks
Hylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:25 PM   #38
Knockout
I can't anymore. Done.

Normal and with society. Hogwash. I believe being a nerd, werid, geeky or whatever is awesome. I love being scared at by the norms honestly. My parents are very accepting of my own collections and hobbies that go all the way to cosplaying, to collecting figures like TF, Figmas and such to even jumping in the jeep and chasing severe weather in the summer.

Now budget wise. I agree, you need to have one. I have two jobs, one in my field and a retail one that barely gives me hours. But I still got living expenses and bills to pay, so it limits what I want to buy. Though I don't buy everything, only want I want, characters I love and stuff... It's still expensive but that's okay. I just make sure the bills and eating/living come first.

As soon as we hit 100 likes we will be having a sale!

Knockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:35 PM   #39
Nocturn
Previously Dead

The prices follow a trend, toy is released, expect to pay MSRP< or more if it's more rare than others in the assortment. The toys begin to flood shelves and go on clearance followed with prices plummeting for resale. When the stock clears out again, if by some miracle (or disinterest) you missed the toys the first time around, well the resellers are aware of this and the price hikes again. Eventually, demand is met and the value hits the bottom, these being the $1 toys on ebay and the like. The only ones that maintain value at this point are popular characters, usually those that were featurued prominently in their respective media.

TLDR, wait. 5+ year old figures can be found for dirt.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #40
shabooya
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
Aside from your Classics-verse like toys, 90% of Transformers stateside from 2000 till now don't suffer from that. (You can get the ENTIRE RUN OF ARMADA, for like 350 bucks)

Seems like Cybertron and Energon series are getting fairly pricey.

Also, RID seems like many figures are 3 or 4 times retail now.
shabooya is offline   Reply With Quote