Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-25-2018, 05:28 AM   #11
alternatorfan
g1 baby
Re: Is Amazon.ca on Crack?

It's the way of internet selling.
They are moving in.
alternatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 05:59 AM   #12
canprime
Nexus Maximus
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79transam View Post
I have tried doing searches on Amazon.ca for things and never end up buying anything for 2 reasons- they don't have what I'm looking for or it's 1.5x what it should cost. All that site has done is discourage me from seeing it as a place I would use.

How they're still in business is beyond me.
They actually do have big discounts from time to time. You just have to catch them when they happen.

In the last year or so they had discounted the Covenant of Primus down to around $30 from around $125. Right now it is $62 (so 50% off).

Over boxing week last year I picked up a ton of Marvel Legends and Star Wars Black Series items for less than 50% with sales. I got Netflix Daredevil & Punisher for less than $10 each. 6" Luke with Landspeeder for $30. Etc.

Yes sometimes their pricing is insane. However I find most items sold through Amazon, and not some third party seller, are close to retail price. Better in some cases (mostly household items).

And then if you are lucky, to catch Amazon at the right time, you can score big discounts.

If anything Walmart needs to get off their asses and start getting back to actually doing proper sales and clearances on toys. They really have fallen off compared to Amazon and TRU.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:08 AM   #13
GotBot
Nexus Maximus

Yeah, their prices can be buts, unless you absolutely luck in to their warehouse stock. I got Trypticon, Blitzwing and Octane there all at cosy. But the closest third party prices were crazy and they don't stock much themselves. NOT a TRU replacement, especially for the average consumer.
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:19 AM   #14
GotBot
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by canprime View Post
They actually do have big discounts from time to time. You just have to catch them when they happen.

In the last year or so they had discounted the Covenant of Primus down to around $30 from around $125. Right now it is $62 (so 50% off).

Over boxing week last year I picked up a ton of Marvel Legends and Star Wars Black Series items for less than 50% with sales. I got Netflix Daredevil & Punisher for less than $10 each. 6" Luke with Landspeeder for $30. Etc.

Yes sometimes their pricing is insane. However I find most items sold through Amazon, and not some third party seller, are close to retail price. Better in some cases (mostly household items).

And then if you are lucky, to catch Amazon at the right time, you can score big discounts.

If anything Walmart needs to get off their asses and start getting back to actually doing proper sales and clearances on toys. They really have fallen off compared to Amazon and TRU.
Agreed about Wal-Mart, but why would they? Where is the motivation? They strangled Target, which was new, had growing pains and some mismanagement. But here, when 1 store opened Wal-Mart was unbelievable. They had moved out of a mall to build their own building elsewhere. When target came, Wal-Mart opened another store across the road from the mall they had moved from in an old sellers location just to limit Target's possible expansion. Both they and TRU had free shipping. After the closure, mysteriously, a minimum for shipping was again required. Now they see TRU in trouble. No real, viable competition means they don't need to do anything. Sad but true.
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:47 AM   #15
canprime
Nexus Maximus
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBot View Post
Agreed about Wal-Mart, but why would they? Where is the motivation? They strangled Target, which was new, had growing pains and some mismanagement. But here, when 1 store opened Wal-Mart was unbelievable. They had moved out of a mall to build their own building elsewhere. When target came, Wal-Mart opened another store across the road from the mall they had moved from in an old sellers location just to limit Target's possible expansion. Both they and TRU had free shipping. After the closure, mysteriously, a minimum for shipping was again required. Now they see TRU in trouble. No real, viable competition means they don't need to do anything. Sad but true.

True, but Walmart's whole thing was always about being the lowest price in the market. Granted they still are in some cases, but the days of being $0.05 cheaper no longer matter.

Online they are getting their ass handed to them by Amazon. Also don't get me started on the whole "online pricing is different from in store because they are technically different entities" that Walmart uses.

Then on the other end Dollarama/dollar stores are really starting to eat into their market share.

Walmart is the big boy on the block, for now. However Sears used to be the #1 chain, and they clearly didn't keep up, and Walmart seems to be trending that way now. Yes in Canada we have very limited options, but I ask myself what Walmart offers now that I can't find somewhere else, usually for a better price?
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:14 AM   #16
Xtreme987
Metroplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBot View Post
Yeah, their prices can be buts, unless you absolutely luck in to their warehouse stock. I got Trypticon, Blitzwing and Octane there all at cosy. But the closest third party prices were crazy and they don't stock much themselves. NOT a TRU replacement, especially for the average consumer.
Last year I scored a TR Fortress Maximus for a mere $140 as it was a warehouse deal also. Pretty sure it was the last 1 they had too cuz I checked after I ordered & the listing was gone.
Xtreme987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:43 AM   #17
Pascal
Banned

Fort Max was $110 at my TRU recently.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:19 PM   #18
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79transam View Post
I have tried doing searches on Amazon.ca for things and never end up buying anything for 2 reasons- they don't have what I'm looking for or it's 1.5x what it should cost. All that site has done is discourage me from seeing it as a place I would use.

How they're still in business is beyond me.
I guess hey make their money from other things, especially with hosting third party listings. What I fail to understand is why have such big markups on their own products when they dont have a store front to support.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:57 PM   #19
DCompose
Robot Master

Amazon works on a algorythm of how much they have in stock of a particular item. Just like traditional warehouses did. You want to move inventory, if there is too much of said inventory.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:30 PM   #20
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

Wow, this one really takes the cake, talk about a mark up.

MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote