Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

View Poll Results: How do you watch the new episodes of Transformers Animated?
On YTV/Cartoon Network 30 42.25%
Downloading from Online Sources 35 49.30%
PVR'ing or Recording 4 5.63%
Wait for the DVD's 2 2.82%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-25-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
Robimus
Iacon North Scout
Pirating and Transformers Animated

With the arrival of another "leaked" episode online this week I was brought back to a thought I've been having for a while in this computer age.

How much has the illegal viewing affected Transformers Animated in the grand scheme of things?

We all know that Transformers Animated has now been cancelled, axed by cartoon network for whatever reason. Could that reason have been low ratings?

I bring this up because for quite a while during Season 1 &2 the episodes were airing on YTV ahead of when they were showing on Cartoon Network. This had to effect the overall numbers for Cartoon Network in those weeks when they were "behind" on the episodes.

Maybe I'll add a poll to this as well just to see what peoples preferences are.

There's all kinds of different ways to look at this and I know most people were upste when TFA was cancelled. That said were those same people watching the event when it aired on TV or downloading the episode on torrents?

I think it will be interesting to know where we all stand on this issue. I have done both TV viewing and downloading myself, but 90% of the time I've made an effort to watch the show when it airs on YTV even though I know I could watch future episodes online.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:55 PM   #2
Omega.Prime
Beast Machine
Re: Pirating and Transformers Animated

My thoughts on this would be that whatever percentage of us downloaded the episodes would be eclipsed by the kid base watching the show so this would have had a very minimal effect on viewership...
Omega.Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:02 PM   #3
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Really depends....there was a while there last year when YTV was ahead of CN so I watched it there using a PVR. Now the US is ahead of us so I watch the episodes online. Pretty much I just do what I gotta to watch the episodes ASAP :P

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
Lysist
Alternator

I can't really comment on weather or not the Adult TF fans downloading habits really affect the ratings of shows targeted for kids. I kind of doubt it but I am not a statistician.

I am limited (by choice) to downloading TV instead of viewing it as I do not subscribe to TV. I just got tired of pay for the privilege being a victim of advertising.

As far as "leaked" Episodes are concerned, who do you think is doing it. Some guy who works for them who does not value his job or is it a marketing ploy.....think about it for a moment and you will relize that it is not "leaked" but unofficially released. Why do you think they are still up and viewable???

Lysist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
Code of Honor
Twitter: @Seikaku09
Send a message via Skype™ to Code of Honor

I'm an anime fan who has no problems download/watching fansubs. I also download/watch a number of other tv shows that air here TFA included. In most cases I've seen unless the show outright sucks, online viewing helps rating by attracting more viewers, DVD sales can also help save shows, ex. Family Guy, Firefly. If the networks know how to use these systems then it's all good.

I think we will get to a point where sitting down in front of the TV at a certain time to watch our favourite shows is becoming old school, and getting it on demand whenever we want on our computers, PVR's, media center PC's, media extenders, and services like Rogers On Demand will be the norm. And I'm all for it.

Last edited by Code of Honor; 03-25-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Code of Honor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:13 PM   #6
Mumps
Canadian Slag

I download it because I am up too late on friday nights, and can't get up to watch it on Saturday mornings.

However, I did buy all of the DVD's, and I will buy the season 3 DVD once it comes out, cause hey, this show is worth watching again. Especially when you have little cousins to convert into TF fans
Mumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:16 PM   #7
crimbot
Some Guy

I did download the episodes, but I dont have cable, and I cant seem to confine myself to the schedule of a tv show.
But I do strongly beleive in supporting what I like, so I also bought the DVD's. But I'm still one of those old fashioned guys that buys CD's of bands I like too. I just want to show my support for things I like how I can.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:21 PM   #8
ANDROID PRIME
Robot in Disguise

I think if you download but still tune in every week, your not hurting anyone. downloading should force companies to load dvds with extras and lower thier prices.
ANDROID PRIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:22 PM   #9
Icetron

I download them, I just need the weekend to sleep in due to my busy school schedule. I prefer having a digital copy to backup anyways.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:25 PM   #10
ANDROID PRIME
Robot in Disguise

If tv stations are really worried about loosing viewers to online downloads, they should combat it by releaseing the shows in high quality on thier websites instantly after it is aired. that way they can still make money via advertising.
ANDROID PRIME is offline   Reply With Quote