Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 05-06-2018, 10:26 AM   #1
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.
Is it really worth that much?

I've been thinking about this for some time now.

It seems like the non-retail commerce side of our hobby is dominated by lots of people who think their crap is treasure.
After a recent perusal of eBay and seeing incomplete, badly yellowed G1 Slugslingers going for over $80, and yet an incomplete Pointblank, who shares the Targetmaster gimmick, and technically has more accessories, can be had for just over $10. With a complete one still going for less than the incomplete Slugslinger.

More and more I see people at places like flea markets, second hand stores, and even garage sales, trying to sell broken and/or incomplete toys for outrageous prices. Like there's this belief that just because it's a toy from the 80's it must be a gold mine!

And it doesn't stop there.
Recently I've been looking around for a BW2 Diver/Niagara base set, and the prices are completely ridiculous!!
I would expect to pay a bit of a mark up due to the fact that it's old (BW was 22 years ago, guys!!), and Japanese, but the prices on a MISB specimens range from about $290 to over $500!!! Which forces me to ask; IS IT REALLY WORTH THAT MUCH?!?!

Are sellers just being greedy? I get wanting to make some money when you sell something, that's fine. But come on!
When I sell I take a look at Bay, and look at what people are actually paying for stuff (vs just looking at what people are selling stuff for) and try to price my items at a reasonable average price, and I'm always willing to negotiate too.
One of the best pieces of advice I ever heard when it comes to selling old stuff is; Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's worth money.
And I think that can be extended to; it doesn't mean it's worth a lot of money, too.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:04 AM   #2
oroboru
Machine War
Re: Is it really worth that much?

People ask whatever they want. I’m more worri d about what people will pay.
oroboru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:24 PM   #3
predahank
Storing is hoarding

I find g1 collectors are trending towards buying mint pieces. I think it's the demographic not having time or patience to find parts for a junker. A really nice slugslinger is on the higher end of the price spectrum but there's always a fine line between supply and demand.

Obviously a seller can ask for the moon and never sell an item but for me, I like to price things from average to below average to give it a realistic chance of finding a new home. Even the word "average" is pretty subjective
predahank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:41 PM   #4
timcrook
Cybertron

I'm going to say no. Part of the fun in collecting is finding items for a good price.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:18 PM   #5
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

Yes, it is getting ridiculous on eBay. But then again someone's trash is others' treasure?

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:58 PM   #6
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Something is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.

IMHO, people are free to ask what they want, even if it's absurdly high. Sometimes it's out of ignorance and not wanting to get ripped off, so they ask for the moon. Other times it's out of greed.

To me, it doesn't matter. I set my limits and try to stay within them.

If there's something I really want, I may overpay a bit. But otherwise, I just shrug at the price and bide my time. If there's one thing I've learned since getting back into this a little over 10 years ago, it's that patience is key.

There are crazy factors in play that can hugely affect prices. All it takes is a Reissue, a KO, a 3rd party update on a character, or people simply getting bored of yesterday's hotness, and the prices will drop.

Remember the crazy prices on the Fansproject Ultra Magnus armor? How about the prices for the white Prime that was needed for that?

I'm at that point where if I miss something, I miss it. Or if I don't have it, I don't have it. I don't absolutely neeeeeed anything anymore. 'Cause there's always something new on the horizon, that'll be just as cool if not more so.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:14 PM   #7
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Yeah, e-bay is not great anymore, and hasn't been for a long time for finding deals.

That said, you have to consider the figures you're comparing and the issues that they have to explain why some figures might command a premium versus others.

Slugslinger, as you said, is commonly yellowed. Slugslinger also had a targetmaster gun that frequently broke at the leg hinge, and had a separate "gun" attachment for his targetmaster which was small and often lost.

By contrast Pointblank had a sturdier targetmaster, and a large shield/engine which was less likely to get misplaced. End result is it is easier to find a complete and good condition Pointblank than it is a complete and good condition Slugslinger. Oh, and if you have all the accessories and a really bad condition Slugslinger, you can probably sell it for nearly as much as one that is in good condition, because it's the accessories that are hard to find, and people will buy a crappy Slugslinger just for the accessories that come with it.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!

Last edited by Bruticus82; 05-06-2018 at 11:17 PM.
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:15 PM   #8
alternatorfan
g1 baby

Ebay sucks.
I found a conplete mp soundwave on this site for $130 shipped.
On ebay they want twice that and shipping.
Most likely the items on ebay for stupid prices will sit longer and therefore wont sell as people are to stupid to take lesser or even retail.
Sad.
The worst part every time an item gets put back up on ebay.
Ebay makes money on the relist.
alternatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:06 AM   #9
Pascal
Banned

I'm both a buyer and a seller, actually more a buyer than a seller, and let me tell you that entitled lowballers are becoming a much bigger issue than greedy sellers. They look on Ebay, look at completed auctions, look for the lowest sold price regardless of condition/completeness and decide it's the price they deserve to pay, no matter what. With free shipping, since Chinese sellers do that. Eh.

Last edited by Pascal; 05-07-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:28 AM   #10
Msol
Titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruticus82 View Post
Yeah, e-bay is not great anymore, and hasn't been for a long time for finding deals.

That said, you have to consider the figures you're comparing and the issues that they have to explain why some figures might command a premium versus others.

Slugslinger, as you said, is commonly yellowed. Slugslinger also had a targetmaster gun that frequently broke at the leg hinge, and had a separate "gun" attachment for his targetmaster which was small and often lost.

By contrast Pointblank had a sturdier targetmaster, and a large shield/engine which was less likely to get misplaced. End result is it is easier to find a complete and good condition Pointblank than it is a complete and good condition Slugslinger. Oh, and if you have all the accessories and a really bad condition Slugslinger, you can probably sell it for nearly as much as one that is in good condition, because it's the accessories that are hard to find, and people will buy a crappy Slugslinger just for the accessories that come with it.
Bang on. Decepticon Targetmasters always go for more entirely due to their fragile accessories. What a pain in the ass they are to complete.
Msol is offline   Reply With Quote