Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > TFcon Discussion

Old 07-19-2017, 11:42 AM   #31
Oasis
Panel Queen
Send a message via Skype™ to Oasis
Re: TFcon Toronto 2017 Feedback Thread

Quote:
Shoutout as always to our Panel Queen
YES. FEED MY EGO.

I've been campaigning hard for two panel rooms but we never get enough people who want to present a panel! Hence my hard Sunday sell. If you have a panel idea that you can and will implement, e-mail Colin and tell him! All we need is an outline.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:46 PM   #32
evenstaves
you renegade maverick

4th TFcon I've attended now

I do think it's the largest it's been (in what I have seen), probably the influx of business from Botcon's dissolution

Dealer's room is the bread&butter as always - I went to the 2nd room twice, didn't buy anything from there (one item I was close, decided against it as overspent already)

The US prices at Captured Prey didn't bother me nearly as much as everyone else, and I bought from them twice

I'm more alarmed over one vendor in the back-left (not the corner, the one beside) who had no prices on two figs I wanted to buy from him, he went on eBay on his smartphone to give me a price, like come on man do you not know how much your stuff is worth? Over half the vendors in there can look at something on their table and be like "boom, thirty bucks" or something

First overnighter at the con (usually just do daytrips), attended the charity auction Friday night, good times

I have to say, I can see the appeal of getting in first thing (or 15-min-early passes won from the auction), as a few hot-ticket items that were allegedly in stock, were gone pretty much right at 9:10am (TR Shuffler anyone?)

Kind of wish some stock was "held back", for replenishment throughout the con, but I can also understand how that may affect sales

In any event, had fun, bought lots of good stuff, see you next year!
evenstaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:21 PM   #33
grizzly519
Alternator

I liked the 2nd dealer room but agree with others that it should be right beside the other one and have the panels in the Greenwhich.Perhaps better clarity on the guests autographs as i was certainly confused by Scott Mcneill and Michael Bell both were presented by the chosen prime yet only Scott was free and had to inquire about it.I also suggest that since certain sized t-shirts were only available by online order to provide more sizes in the online ordering from xs for the little kids up to adult 5xl.After all no moneys is lost if the only shirts made were the ones bought and paid for right?One last thought please try to bring back beer mugs and shotglasses but at a reasonable price.Even though i ordered it back then i kinda saw the cancellation email coming when initial price was $25 a shotglass.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:11 PM   #34
Hoffman
Generation 1

Do the panels ever fill up? I'm not sure the Greenwich room would be big enough to house the panels, and it's a slightly awkwardly shaped room.

It's not the ideal location for a 2nd dealers room, but IIRC the tables were cheaper and it was only opened up for booking later on for those who waited too long to book.

I personally missed out completely, but that's a result of my own procrastination and not knowing that they had opened up the 2nd room for booking.
Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:14 AM   #35
Chigimus
Masterpiece

While I did not attend this year, a bit of a recurring observation year after year that I would like to see improved upon is the sharing of images for the cosplay and art contests. You hear about the winners for those that are attending, of course, but it would be nice if the organizers would take photos of art submissions and/or the winners of both contests after the winners have been announced at least.

Doing so would give a bit more proper kudos to the winners and would be really positive community work to share with the rest of the fandom and might even inspire greater participation/competition.
Chigimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:24 PM   #36
Ninjatron
Overlord of all Ninjas

I did a weblog post all about my TFcon experience and general thoughts on the weekend, and you can check that out on my website right here:

http://www.sykografix.com/2017/07/27/tfcon-2017/

Some more specific thoughts:

The Captured Prey USD thing was kind of a bad deal, as has already been mentioned. I picked up a big pile of stuff from them and as it was being rung up I heard the dude say something like "Oh, I didn't do the conversion on this one yet". Then he must have done some kind of calculation on his phone before he continued. I was never specifically told what was going on, nor was I given any options. The transaction simply proceeded as if I had agreed to pay this unknown price, and that was not cool.

It seems obvious to me that everything should be labeled with pricing in Canadian dollars because TFcon happens in Canada. I mean, I don't expect Japanese imports to be priced in yen, so I wouldn't assume to have to pay in US dollars either. Even labeling that the price is actually in USD is such a nuisance and should not be a thing. Just label the price with the number that I'm expected to pay. It should be mandatory, and any dealer who fails to label their prices in Canadian $ should be forced to sell it for that price. I do hope that the issue is addressed and that an official statement is made regarding this issue for next year.

That said, I liked their booth, they had stuff that I wanted all in one spot, and it was cool to even just look around, so I'm gonna let it slide... this time.

A big thanks to Oasis and to Paul and the tech crew for all their help during my panel. It was rough going in spite of how much I prepared ahead of time to avoid last minute technical difficulties. It was not as easy as I had hoped to set everything up, but somehow it all worked out. In fact, I'm pretty amazed that it went off without a hitch.

I had an absolute blast presenting. Even with the early start time on Sunday, there was a great crowd and they seemed enthusiastic about the topic by the end. I hope everyone who saw it enjoyed looking at all the weird and wonderful branches of the Transformers family tree and gained a new appreciation and insight into their hobby. And I hope everyone who didn't see it wishes they did! It was so much fun and I'm already thinking about what topics I want to cover in the future. I've got some wacky ideas!

I'm pretty sure that I saw most of the other fan run panels and I enjoyed them all. I'm proud to be a part of the volunteers who take the time to put together something entertaining for the audience. The only suggestion that I would make to my fellow panelists is to add some more razzmatazz to their presentation files. I want to look at something cool, not just text on a screen.

Food: My dietary restrictions were acknowledged and dealt with, and I appreciated that. But the quality of the food itself wasn't as good as I would have hoped. Small portion of chicken, slightly burnt veggies. The price was higher than the same thing last year. I sent feedback to the hotel and they got back to me saying they would look into it. I still deeply appreciated that I was accommodated at all, just slightly disappointed.

All in all, I had an awesome time at TFcon this year, and that is not surprising because I always do. But I feel like I'm still waiting for what the next big thing at the show could be. Something new, something different, something to set each year apart aside from the changing names on the lists of guests. I don't know what that might be, but there were times when I was feeling like the show was almost exactly the same as previous years. Maybe if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but it's something to think about. Looking back at the show now, I know that I had an amazing time so I've got nothing major to add besides see you again next year.

Sayonara.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:29 PM   #37
Gumby
Beasty

Whew, I'm finally able to sit down and give my thoughts on what seemed to be the biggest TFCon to date.

THE GOOD: The staff and volunteers were, as always, great and the price of admission just can't be beat. An excellent variety of both vendors and merch this year and having the second room was a welcome addition.

I know we just had him, but please bring Michael Bell back- if not for TFCon, than for one of your other shows. He was incredibly warm & friendly and shared some really funny stories. I spent $90 on him and would happily spend even more than that the next time.

THE BAD: Arthur Burghardt. I'll be G-rated and just say that he was an absolute jerk. I watched as he berated a 16 year old kid to the point that they left the table near tears. Burghardt then proceeded to be belligerent to the woman working his table and to another staff member who had kindly brought him some food- ("I don't *want* soup, I want *coffee*!").

Right out of the gate he refused to do our photo op which was supposed to be included in the price (he started doing them again later in the afternoon).

I've been working on two cast signed pieces over the years and have been lucky enough to add quite a number of names to them including rare ones like Welker and Cullen. Well, Arthur decided to ruin one of my items. First he *insists* on writing something even after I told him that just his name was fine. With his autograph freshly written on one side of the G.I. Joe footlocker, he flips it over and scrawls an inscription on it that not only takes up an ungodly amount of space, but isn't even connected to or close to his signature! On my next item, he wanted to give up halfway into signing his name and leave it "Arthur Burg" as he grumbled and complained that it wouldn't fit in the allotted space. After a bit of pleading, he finished his name and yes, it fit perfectly fine.

Our business done, I thanked him and took a few steps away but the whole rigmarole really bothered me, so I turned back to say something only to be met with "What?! What didn't I do for you people?!" when I approached the table. Seeing it just wasn't worth it, I told him he'd been a ray of sunshine and walked away a second time.

I have never met a more pompous, disrespectful and self important actor in all my years of going to conventions. Please do not bring in any other guest who has such disregard not only for people's personal property, but for the staff and attendees as well.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:32 PM   #38
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Whew, I'm finally able to sit down and give my thoughts on what seemed to be the biggest TFCon to date.

THE GOOD: The staff and volunteers were, as always, great and the price of admission just can't be beat. An excellent variety of both vendors and merch this year and having the second room was a welcome addition.

I know we just had him, but please bring Michael Bell back- if not for TFCon, than for one of your other shows. He was incredibly warm & friendly and shared some really funny stories. I spent $90 on him and would happily spend even more than that the next time.

THE BAD: Arthur Burghardt. I'll be G-rated and just say that he was an absolute jerk. I watched as he berated a 16 year old kid to the point that they left the table near tears. Burghardt then proceeded to be belligerent to the woman working his table and to another staff member who had kindly brought him some food- ("I don't *want* soup, I want *coffee*!").

Right out of the gate he refused to do our photo op which was supposed to be included in the price (he started doing them again later in the afternoon).

I've been working on two cast signed pieces over the years and have been lucky enough to add quite a number of names to them including rare ones like Welker and Cullen. Well, Arthur decided to ruin one of my items. First he *insists* on writing something even after I told him that just his name was fine. With his autograph freshly written on one side of the G.I. Joe footlocker, he flips it over and scrawls an inscription on it that not only takes up an ungodly amount of space, but isn't even connected to or close to his signature! On my next item, he wanted to give up halfway into signing his name and leave it "Arthur Burg" as he grumbled and complained that it wouldn't fit in the allotted space. After a bit of pleading, he finished his name and yes, it fit perfectly fine.

Our business done, I thanked him and took a few steps away but the whole rigmarole really bothered me, so I turned back to say something only to be met with "What?! What didn't I do for you people?!" when I approached the table. Seeing it just wasn't worth it, I told him he'd been a ray of sunshine and walked away a second time.

I have never met a more pompous, disrespectful and self important actor in all my years of going to conventions. Please do not bring in any other guest who has such disregard not only for people's personal property, but for the staff and attendees as well.
We have been very fortunate over the course of 15 years of TFcon to have so many guests that have been so great with the attendees. At some point there was bound to be more difficult situations that would arise. The people behind TFcon would never knowingly want to cause a negative experience for anyone, and in booking guests TFcon in many cases does not deal with the guest directly but rather an agent so could not anticipate this. That said sorry to hear you had a less than positive experience but hopefully over time the stories you can tell will make the interaction worth it.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:20 AM   #39
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post

That is most unfortunate. Sorry to hear
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:03 PM   #40
Sunstar
All Hail Starscream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjatron View Post
It should be mandatory, and any dealer who fails to label their prices in Canadian $ should be forced to sell it for that price. I do hope that the issue is addressed and that an official statement is made regarding this issue for next year.
I saw stuff I liked but when I realised the prices were in USD, I couldn't be bothered. So I agree 100%

Evil Chefticon
Owner of starscream.ca the new Sunstar's Seeker Sanctuary Home!
Sunstar is offline   Reply With Quote