Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > TFcon Discussion

Old 07-04-2014, 12:30 PM   #1
Swalloweddark
Generation 2
TF Con Event Schedule

YEY! The schedule is finally up!

http://www.tfcon.ca/tfcon-toronto-2014-event-schedule

Seems to be a thing for cons this year and putting these things uo pretty late. Everything looks good for me. It actually looks kinda eventful except..

Why is the cosplay contest at 11 am? Thats alittle early for a cosplay contest. Going to miss it this year as with breakfast, getting together the cosplay, putting it on and fixing things I definitely won't be heading down there before 11 am.

Going to try and make it to Karaoke this year...Last year we were up to 4 am getting Bobs head on.

Also, does anyone know what the 6pm: Transformers Screening on Friday? I know the Movie screening is on Saturday.

And Whos running the cosplay panel at 11 am?
Swalloweddark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:47 AM   #2
LadyBug
Generation 2
Re: TF Con Event Schedule

Who ever planned the cosplay contest at 11 am was kind of a dumb decision. At most conventions (anime & comic cons), the cosplay contest is usually a main event on Saturday evening.
LadyBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:26 AM   #3
TMIIWonkoNemises
Animated
Send a message via Skype™ to TMIIWonkoNemises

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBug View Post
Who ever planned the cosplay contest at 11 am was kind of a dumb decision. At most conventions (anime & comic cons), the cosplay contest is usually a main event on Saturday evening.
But TFCon is neither of those. It's a toy show.

As well, the cosplayers at this show is very small compared to everywhere else.

Overall, the schedule is great. However, how will the lineups be structured for the autograph sessions, considering all four VAs will attend in those hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky Tango Foxtrot View Post
My anus is certainly not a secret toys garden, and I'm deeply offended by the insinuation!

Last edited by TMIIWonkoNemises; 07-05-2014 at 01:29 AM.
TMIIWonkoNemises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:34 AM   #4
General Tekno
Lugnut rules!
Send a message via AIM to General Tekno Send a message via MSN to General Tekno

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMIIWonkoNemises View Post
But TFCon is neither of those. It's a toy show.

As well, the cosplayers at this show is very small compared to everywhere else.

Overall, the schedule is great. However, how will the lineups be structured for the autograph sessions, considering all four VAs will attend in those hours.
I can see them running individual lineups; keep in mind that the autograph fees will speed them up right off the bat.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:35 AM   #5
Knockout
I can't anymore. Done.

I agree about the cosplay contest, but I wonder how that will affect the cosplayer turn out. The majority of cosplayers do it for contests, I don't because I could careless. (Reason I never entered Sunstreaker or Bob in the contest in the past). But 11am for a cosplay contest just means we don't take this event at the con that seriously.

Also I never saw TFCON as a toy show. I saw it as a Transformers convention. When I tell people about why they should attend it, I say it's a convention, a toy show isn't the same thing and if that is what it's graded now, it really bumps it out of the convention season and more into the tradeshow event status. Since the contest was alot later in the day in the past, it's strange to suddenly make it very early. I would assume it's because they are tailoring it to the kids and not the general attendance, or average cosplayers.

As soon as we hit 100 likes we will be having a sale!

Last edited by Knockout; 07-05-2014 at 01:37 AM.
Knockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:43 AM   #6
General Tekno
Lugnut rules!
Send a message via AIM to General Tekno Send a message via MSN to General Tekno

I dunno if the majority do it for contests.

In the case of the customizing contest, which I'm putting some stuff into, my thought process was "oh man I have some cool ideas; I'll use the contest as a deadline/excuse to actually make them." It's not wearable art but it's still art nonetheless.

And yes, it IS a Transformers convention, but the cosplay is still a VERY small part of the show. If I go to an anime convention or Calgary Expo, for instance, there's a MUCH larger proportion of people who dress up in costumes.

But it IS still very much a heavily dealer room-focused show - case in point, the fact that the dealer room changes to 80s Toy Expo on Sunday, rather than keeping the same wares.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:56 AM   #7
TMIIWonkoNemises
Animated
Send a message via Skype™ to TMIIWonkoNemises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockout View Post
I agree about the cosplay contest, but I wonder how that will affect the cosplayer turn out. The majority of cosplayers do it for contests, I don't because I could careless. (Reason I never entered Sunstreaker or Bob in the contest in the past). But 11am for a cosplay contest just means we don't take this event at the con that seriously.
It honestly won't affect anything. Anyone that you see in the contest is the turnout. Cosplayers in this convention isn't that huge, and what you see is what you get.

When comparing it to the other events, panels, and custom contest, the cosplay contests are more of a secondary thing rather than the important stuff happening, such as the guest/toy panels and after-party events.

Quote:
Also I never saw TFCON as a toy show. I saw it as a Transformers convention. When I tell people about why they should attend it, I say it's a convention, a toy show isn't the same thing and if that is what it's graded now, it really bumps it out of the convention season and more into the tradeshow event status. Since the contest was alot later in the day in the past, it's strange to suddenly make it very early. I would assume it's because they are tailoring it to the kids and not the general attendance, or average cosplayers.
TFCon started out as a toy show and grew more over the years. At the heart of it all, TFCon is still a toy show, but with a bigger budget. It still qualifies in your 'Convention Season' definition because of when the con happens and the number of attendees. It is a tradeshow in some ways, but is structured like a convention.

Quote:
Since the contest was alot later in the day in the past, it's strange to suddenly make it very early. I would assume it's because they are tailoring it to the kids and not the general attendance, or average cosplayers.
Let me tell you something. Before you and your fellow cosplay girls showed up, the cosplay contest didn't even have a room, and way before that, it wasn't even considered a thought until cosplay became a thing at BotCon. The fact that there's even a panel about cosplay shows how far it has become, and you still complain about the time? Why? There is barely a general cosplay audience in this convention, but there's enough to hold a panel (That is small in attendance compared to VA Panels or the Third Party Panel), and why is tailoring it to kids a bad thing? Kids love people dressing up as TF characters, what is wrong with that?

Again, this convention is not going to be run like a comic or anime convention that you are used to. The Staff knows what they are doing, so please, stop making these suggestions to make cosplay into a bigger thing for a very niche con.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky Tango Foxtrot View Post
My anus is certainly not a secret toys garden, and I'm deeply offended by the insinuation!
TMIIWonkoNemises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:40 AM   #8
Knockout
I can't anymore. Done.

Actually there was quite a few cosplayers coming this year, supposely even someone coming from the UK. At the current time, this was going to be the most I've seen thus far.

The importance of events depends on the person. For example, this year I am only attending like 2 or 3 events. That isn't including the costume contest because I wasn't going to enter it anyways. I do not enter contests, never did, ever. No matter what con. Don't just assume all cosplayers just enter to win crap, not all do. Personally I only cosplay to show off the love and passion I have for a character.

But there is some cosplayers that go all out for the fame, some might not see a point in draggin' their cosplays all the way knowing that they might not be able to perform. I wasn't speaking of myself.

A good example of this is on Saturday leading up to the contest there was a sudden boom in cosplayers but on Sunday they all but disappeared.

Also what is this suppose to mean:

"fellow cosplay girls showed up"

Rude. The only cosplayer I am coming with is my sister. That's it. I don't know any other cosplayer personally so do not assume that we just gather in groups like some posse and invade in your space.

You sound like you are very against the idea of change. That the idea that the small show getting bigger with a wide selection of events that attract all kinds of the TF fandom bothers you. And implementing things you dislike or could cause it to grow into a bigger, better convention could be is a bad thing.

Also I have zero idea where in the world you got the idea that I had a problem with it tailoring it to kids.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:40 AM   #9
FEZaid
Arabian Knight

Quote:
Also what is this suppose to mean:

"fellow cosplay girls showed up"

Rude. The only cosplayer I am coming with is my sister. That's it. I don't know any other cosplayer personally so do not assume that we just gather in groups like some posse and invade in your space.

You sound like you are very against the idea of change. That the idea that the small show getting bigger with a wide selection of events that attract all kinds of the TF fandom bothers you. And implementing things you dislike or could cause it to grow into a bigger, better convention could be is a bad thing.
why fix it if it ain't broke? :-/
I have been reading a few of your comments, it seems you want to implament some changes to the convention to make it better, since it is becoming more grande and popular, you're right and I understand. BUT, the group of people who have been running this convention and the many smaller ones through the years, know what they are doing, maybe they scheduled it at 11am to experiment or think this is the best slot for the event. Who knows.

TFcon is a toy show, not a cosplay/anime convention like Anime Expo or Anime North so their focus isn't about a cosplay contest.

If the contest does not work out, notify the organizers why it didn't work and what they should do next time, no biggie.

Last edited by FEZaid; 07-05-2014 at 03:43 AM.
FEZaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:59 AM   #10
Knockout
I can't anymore. Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEZaid View Post
why fix it if it ain't broke? :-/
I have been reading a few of your comments, it seems you want to implament some changes to the convention to make it better, since it is becoming more grande and popular, you're right and I understand. BUT, the group of people who have been running this convention and the many smaller ones through the years, know what they are doing, maybe they scheduled it at 11am to experiment or think this is the best slot for the event. Who knows.

TFcon is a toy show, not a cosplay/anime convention like Anime Expo or Anime North so their focus isn't about a cosplay contest.

If the contest does not work out, notify the organizers why it didn't work and what they should do next time, no biggie.
I do not think you have to be designated cosplay friendly to have it acceptable. If it's a convention people would cosplay to it regardless if there was any convention events that were cosplayer friendly. Heck when I did Sunstreaker in 2012, I didn't even know there was a cosplay contest. But then again I never treated TFCON as a tradeshow. I always saw as a convention, an event that gathers everyone who loves TF in the area and celebrates it as a community. As that is what conventions do. Heck out of the hundreds of cons year round, TFCON and Anime North were my the main ones. The ones I always make sure I book hotels for and have budgets for. Everything else is just gravy. Not that I cosplay Anime anyways. It's always comic, games and TF's.

All I said was it was strange for any con, not just TFCON to hold such an event at 11am. Maybe it's a test, dunno. Maybe it's for kids. Again no idea. Contests just aren't for me anyways. Even if there was no contest I'd still cosplay regardless. Does not mean I need any passive aggressive response.

Any feedback I've given was where it was asked for input. And I wasn't saying TFCON was broken, but there isn't anything wrong with gathering more attendance and media attention. Growth isn't scary, it's a positive thing. Even Botcon has grown out of it's tradeshow model and has become very suscessful.

Last edited by Knockout; 07-05-2014 at 04:18 AM.