Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 11-18-2008, 07:28 PM   #1
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero
Real or KO G1 Optimus?

Found this posting on eBay for a boxed G1 Optimus Prime .

The tray looks like its plastic. I remember my G1 Prime had a styrofoam tray.

Am I rememberng wrong, or could the plastic tray mean this is a knock off? And if it is a KO, should someone say something before somone bids more than $1000 USD on it?

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:44 PM   #2
Benzo
Plastic Crack Addict
Re: Real or KO G1 Optimus?

after looking at it more, it might be real.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transf...revisited.html

Last edited by Benzo; 11-18-2008 at 08:01 PM.
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:48 PM   #3
Nemesis Predaking
Wears Sunglasses at Night

From E-bay

I just recently came across a KO Optimus Prime from someone who said it was original. Here are a few tips:
1. On the box, the date, and who made the toy (Hasbro,Takara) should be in black lettering, no matter if it's a decepticon or autobot box. It's always black, and not white lettering.
2. Optimus and the trailer cab have the Takara/Hasbro,made in Japan and date stamp. The cab especially should have some Japanese writing with the date and manufacturer stamp with a large "T" in side the slot where Optimus connects to the trailer cab while in big rig form. The inner leg Optimus is where the stamp should be on him.
3. If you look at the cardboard trim in the front of the box. A knock off will have the top trim missing. The cardboard trim should connect all around the front of the box around the clear plastic guard. Also, the styrafoam insert shouldn't be snow colored white or without any scratches if the item isn't factory sealed. Unless there was a humidifier used to preserve the toy, bright white styrofoam insert = knock and/or re-issue.
4. For any transformer, you should be able to see yellowed tape on the flaps and on the back where it was sealed. Come on, non-scotch tape doesn't look clear after 20 years oxidation.

You know you're an old nerd when you feel the effects of inflation on action figures.
Youtube Twitter
Nemesis Predaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #4
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Really? I would have though Lee's Toy Review (the seller) would know that and maybe say something in the auction.

I'm contemplating blowing the whistle now...

Old 11-18-2008, 08:27 PM   #5
Mega_Zarak
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis Predaking View Post
From E-bay

I just recently came across a KO Optimus Prime from someone who said it was original. Here are a few tips:
1. On the box, the date, and who made the toy (Hasbro,Takara) should be in black lettering, no matter if it's a decepticon or autobot box. It's always black, and not white lettering.
2. Optimus and the trailer cab have the Takara/Hasbro,made in Japan and date stamp. The cab especially should have some Japanese writing with the date and manufacturer stamp with a large "T" in side the slot where Optimus connects to the trailer cab while in big rig form. The inner leg Optimus is where the stamp should be on him.
3. If you look at the cardboard trim in the front of the box. A knock off will have the top trim missing. The cardboard trim should connect all around the front of the box around the clear plastic guard. Also, the styrafoam insert shouldn't be snow colored white or without any scratches if the item isn't factory sealed. Unless there was a humidifier used to preserve the toy, bright white styrofoam insert = knock and/or re-issue.
4. For any transformer, you should be able to see yellowed tape on the flaps and on the back where it was sealed. Come on, non-scotch tape doesn't look clear after 20 years oxidation.
I wonder who wrote this...
Pretty much everything here is false, except for the grey border...

1-There are boxes with black lettering and white lettering. On Optimus it should be white.
2-Only the trailer has stampings. There's not such thing as a "inner leg stamping". Anyways if it exist, I've never seen one. You don't always have a T or Japanese writing. A good example is the pre-rub Diaclone version, which only has "Takara Japan".
3-I've seen and I've had white snow styfoams after more than 20 years. The tapes could resist yellowing too...

By the way this is an authentic Optimus Prime. It's a little bit hard to see, but the styrofoam is there.

Last edited by Mega_Zarak; 11-18-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Mega_Zarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:29 PM   #6
Aernaroth
Metroplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega_Zarak View Post
3-I've seen and I've had white snow styfoams after more than 20 years. The tapes could resist yellowing too...
Chances are the box, styrofoam, and tape aren't going to look brand new. And even if the tape resists yellowing, the glue does start to break down. However, this might not be easy to see on ebay photos.
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:06 PM   #7
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

I'm no expert, but after looking at Benzo's link, and inspecting the ebay picture, I think it has a good chance of being real. Either that or they found his link and made a version that addressed all those concerns.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:07 PM   #8
hugh_da_man
Armada

Looks legit...the styrofoam tray is in behind...you can sort of see it.

You'd think it if was a ko they'd sell you the one without the crease.
hugh_da_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:17 PM   #9
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

I PM'd the seller and they say it's real. Looking at it closer I think I was a little hasty. I remembered my styro tray being visible from the window, no grey masking...but I think I'm wrong about that.

I sure wish my G1 Optimus...anyone want to lend me $2000???

Old 11-19-2008, 07:50 PM   #10
Protoman
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruticus82 View Post
I'm no expert, but after looking at Benzo's link, and inspecting the ebay picture, I think it has a good chance of being real. Either that or they found his link and made a version that addressed all those concerns.
I AM an expert and it's fake as hell. For one, all MISB G1 TFs I own have their inner card turning either yellow or grey...... mind you thats due to possible light exposure while this was "case fresh". What put the final nail in the coffin for me was the tape on the box..... I have seen AFA 1988 Pretenders, DEAD MINT, AMAZING.... but the tape is yellowed, it's like newspaper, no matter how well you keep it, you can't fight time. But this Prime..... the tape is as fresh as if it was cut yesterday.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote