Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 01-31-2017, 04:31 PM   #1
elburrito
Animated
Badcube OTS-12 - Lorry review/discussion

A few thoughts on Lorry ("Hoist"). Like many others, I decided to go MMC for Trailbreaker and Badcube for Hoist. Now that the two stand side by side, I am glad to have gone this route.

Let me begin by saying that Hoist is big. Really, big. Not necessarily tall (a little shorter than Trailbreaker with the legs adjusted down) just BIG!

IMO MMC decisively wins the day in alt mode. Even though the canopy is not quite show or toy accurate. Badcube's Hi-Lux has a bunch of kipple underneath the truck in alt mode and there is simply no hiding it.

That said, maybe because it's a tow truck, or maybe I am distracted by the huge piece of diecast that is the hood and fenders, Hoist seems to get away with it.

The bot comes in alt. mode and is satisfying to hold although (for those with experience transforming bad cubes) perhaps a little intimidating.

The transformation is actually far easier than it looks in the instructions. Don't get me wrong, the steps are all there, but I found looking at the toy more helpful than the instructions.

The trip to bot mode took a while. Suffice it to say there are a lot of steps going on that only make sense after they are complete.

At the end of the day you have a big, imposing bot that is just barely not too big.

Did I mention the size of this thing?

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:26 PM   #2
optimusb39
Animated
Re: Badcube OTS-12 - Lorry review/discussion

Are the legs solid on lorry? Can you pose without pieces coming undone? Seemed that badcube trailbreaker had that issue on all the reviews I've seen.

Last edited by optimusb39; 01-31-2017 at 05:45 PM.
optimusb39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:54 PM   #3
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

I was tempted to do the same thing but I want to see what
X-Transbots does. When comparing the 3 the X really nailed the animation look better than the rest

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/attach...-jpg.27623110/
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:10 PM   #4
elburrito
Animated

The design of the knee is curious. The "thigh" and "shin" are connected by a double-hinges which in turn connects with a floating "knee" piece. Further, the top double hinge connects to the thigh with a further hinge. The result is that the knee could be adjusted from a number of points, but the way the joints are set forces all three to work together when one bends the knee and prevents the knees from bending the opposite direction.

The lower leg transformation is an exercise in patience. In the end, mine all tabbed, folded, slotted together nicely. Nothing comes apart when I adjust the legs. There are so many moving pieces of plastic in the legs (some of which need be moved simultaneously) that I would not be surprised if minor adjustment issues led to improperly tabbing parts on some of the others. I don't even have Speedbump though so my comments are based on Lorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusb39 View Post
Are the legs solid on lorry? Can you pose without pieces coming undone? Seemed that badcube trailbreaker had that issue on all the reviews I've seen.
I agree that Lorry is perhaps not the best available representation of Hoist, but it is imo an excellent one (assuming that Hoist is just a tank of a robot) and I have issues with the quality of X transbots.

regardless of which a person goes with though, it is really nice to have the different options for similar molds characters. Especially in this case where Trailbreaker was generally drawn as tall and lean and Hoist short and plump. Again, while shorter than OX Trailbreaker, this bot is still quite tall. As for plump, this guy is an absolute tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wervenom View Post
I was tempted to do the same thing but I want to see what
X-Transbots does. When comparing the 3 the X really nailed the animation look better than the rest

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/attach...-jpg.27623110/

Sale & Trade

Last edited by elburrito; 01-31-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:53 PM   #5
elburrito
Animated

Sale & Trade

Old 01-31-2017, 07:14 PM   #6
optimusb39
Animated

love how sam looks completely retarded!
optimusb39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:20 PM   #7
elburrito
Animated

I sort of picture sam like the screaming female from the 1st live-action movie. At any rate, the human alliance companions scale well with the MP-Style carbots.

On to Lorry though. I have made some discoveries since my last post:

1. The hood-chest can shunt up towards the windshield. This brings the chest, arms & head into better proportion with the waist & legs.

2. The knees partially lock into place. Compare the upper (great coloured) hinge at the top of the knee joint between the previous photo and this one.

to see what I mean, and

3. The barrel extends further than I realized.

Sale & Trade