Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 07-29-2016, 11:02 PM   #1
elburrito
Animated
A couple thoughts on FT Willis

Based on the pictures, I passed on Invisible in favour of MMC Sphinx. The wait was perhaps the longest I can recall actively waiting for the release of a toy. Sphinx did not disappoint. In fact, I give it an 9 of 10 where "1" is a gobot and "10" is toy perfection.

So I held off Gundog to wait for Willis. Willis does not disappoint either (7.5 of 10). I've yet to handle Gundog and don't know if he disappoints or not.

Overall Willis scratches the itch. I stand him beside my G1 Hound and it works well, but I have complaints:

1. Not a dark enough green. I am not especially choosy about cartoon or toy-accuracy when it comes to colour. Either will look like the character to me. But sometimes a toy should be darker green and I think this is one of those times.

2. Too big. It's great that 3rd parties are making toys in similar scale at all, so I'll just quietly point out that Hound was the smallest of the carbots. Fans Toys has him a little taller than Sideswipe. The knees are double jointed and allow for a lower stance.

3. The ankle mechanism. Of the three complaints, this is the most poignant. Willis' foot is held to his leg by a small piece of plastic tabbed to lower leg. Have a look at the picture. There is nothing else holding the foot on and it is quite a foot.

Otherwise, he has all the expected articulation, the paint apps are sharp and plentiful. The toy feels good in hand with judicious use of diecast and rubber/silicon/soft plastic tires. Feels solid in both modes and floppy during transformation.

Anyone else have some thoughts on this guy?

Sale & Trade

Last edited by elburrito; 07-29-2016 at 11:45 PM.
elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:11 AM   #2
Slayback
Animated
Re: A couple thoughts on FT Willis

A lot better than MT Gundog imho.
Gundog was just very g1 toy like. low shoulders, ball joints are visible at the hips and head/face sculpt just less refined.

Detail in the FT - look at the winch at the front of the jeep. (yes i look at the odd stuff)
Look at the seams of plastic on the Gundog thighs vs Willis. The seams are at the fron of the leg. Same with the rest of the rest of the leg actually..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FT-vs-MT-.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	34158  

feedback :http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=31815
Slayback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:02 AM   #3
optimusb39
Animated

Hey slayback, not to start a fight but gundog there has mistransforrmed shoulders in the pic. they can actually ride much higher up at just below his hood level and make his posture much more mp heroic.
optimusb39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:28 PM   #4
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

Willis is good but the transformation is not fun. I'm never transforming mine back into into robot mode. It's just not worth the frustration. They probably used a different designer on Willis cause it doesn't feel like a typical FT transformation. If it wasn't made of such good materials, it would have snapped for sure at multiple parts.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:41 PM   #5
Sureshot22
look behind you. tee hee
Sureshot22's Ebay Auctions

First ive read this.
My thoughts.

Great job overall but like other said ill prob never transform mine again.... that head / front of the jeep transformation is terrifying and i almost broke it a few times doing the only transformation hes been through. Good thing it pops off or it would have broken multiple times.

That part was just a REALLY bad design choice.

PSN ID: SURESHOT22

FEEDBACK THREAD http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=9366
Sureshot22 is offline   Reply With Quote