Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 03-20-2010, 08:49 PM   #1
herooftheday316
Energon
Movie line just ain't doing it for me

I feel that it has been a hard couple of months to be a transformers fan (at least for me) and I think the reason is I am just not nearly as in to the movie line as I was to the ones previous to it.

I do not hate the line, in fact, I believe there are some pretty decent toys, but I just don't feel AS happy finding, or opening them.

Usually when I find a new toy I am super excited and just can't wait to open it up, but the movie line toys just don't get to me the way animated and universe did. It's hard to explain, when I look at those toys, I feel really awesome and just happy and movie doesn't feel the same. I recently received a Lio Convoy and was so excited just by the look, size and the style to it. Maybe it's because the movie lines are just simply "too realistic" but there are very few that once I was done transforming I was really happy to have purchased. Maybe it is because both movie lines were so similar, I'm not sure.

Personally, my mouth is WATERING thinking about the new stuff coming out. Powercore Combiners and mostly Generations. I think I just may cry once I see them for the first time in store.

Are you guys burnt out on the movie line also? Do you guys get those giddy feelings when opening them up and transforming them? I am alone?
________
The Legend Condo Pattaya

Last edited by herooftheday316; 08-22-2011 at 01:07 AM.
herooftheday316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian
Re: Movie line just ain't doing it for me

Join the Club

Cheers!
-Ian
Old 03-20-2010, 08:57 PM   #3
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3

You are not alone.

Not a big movie line guy here either. Most of the ones I have bought have ended up as hand-me-downs to my son. There are a select few (Bludgeon) that have migrated to the Classics collection.

I can appreciate the quality of the toys, but just not enough to buy every one I see. When Generations comes out I will be all over that, but until then my wallet gets a breather while the movie line is in full force.

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #4
Malwave
Resident Gryphon
Malwave's Ebay Auctions
Send a message via MSN to Malwave Send a message via Skype™ to Malwave

I kinda hafta agree as well...I prefer lines like Universe and Animated...

HOWEVER, there have been a few exceptions, including Bludgeon, Dirge and Leader Prime that have gotten me excited, but unless it's a really nice figure I skip over it lol
Malwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
Fortress
Decepticon

I hate the films. Always have.I hate having my intelligence insulted like that.They're absolutely insipid. The Bot designs and subsequent toys play a role in that. And you'd think I'd be enjoying the Classics line but I haven't bought any of those either,just masterpieces. I dunno,I hold out hope for a pure G1 CGI film. Maybe based off the first 10 issues of the Marvel comic.
GAWD,everyone can tell I'm almost middle aged.

Last edited by Fortress; 03-20-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
ang3l3s
Robot Master

I'm on the fence for this as i never collect all the figures of any lines for 1, every line has good, bad , and ugly, and some like the cartoon look , others want realism and others like myself can go either way. The realism i care about is how accurate it is to the cartoons or the movie if that makes any sense. Personally though i find the power combiners a regression in transformer technology, i mean now the arms and legs don't even transform!!!!!!!!
ang3l3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:07 PM   #7
Matrix_Holder
The chosen one

I like about 90% of the movie figures....the "off screen" characters that is, almost none of the actual "onscreen" characters did anything for me. I wans't a big fan of the bayverse movies, the stupid racistly created twins almost fill me with a nerd rage, I still haven't bought the ROTF DVD or BR version...don't think I will either. The classic/universe line was incredible, the animated toys were mostly great and I can't wait for the PCC line and the new Transformers line. I loved head masters and targetmasters hated armada though...hope this line does them justice. I love gestalts...I have been waiting years for new versions of menasor and predaking...hope there are figures that are close to those.
I gave up on waiting so I started to make a custom menasor with the ROTF bruticus "onslaught" as Motormaster.
Matrix_Holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:08 PM   #8
TMIIWonkoNemises
Animated
Send a message via Skype™ to TMIIWonkoNemises

I dislike most of the film,but some of the toys are decent.However,I do get excited that I got the toys,but not as much when I get an Animated or Beast Wars toy.Also,I get this somewhat empty feeling inside when I finish Transforming them,as I think there should be something more compared to the others.

Or,maybe that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky Tango Foxtrot View Post
My anus is certainly not a secret toys garden, and I'm deeply offended by the insinuation!
TMIIWonkoNemises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:17 PM   #9
Pascal
Banned

My TF collecting revolves pretty much around the movies. I dig the realism of the alt modes and the complexity of the designs. But the toys that get me excited the most are the Human Alliance ones. It's like Alternators all over again, only better.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:32 PM   #10
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ang3l3s View Post
Personally though i find the power combiners a regression in transformer technology, i mean now the arms and legs don't even transform!!!!!!!!
Yes they do. They transform from a vehicle to a limb, unlike the G1 combiners which transformed from a vehicle to either a block with bits that looked vaguely like arms, legs and a head sticking out of or a block that you could attach a separate hand- or foot-piece to to make it resemble a limb.

Of course, ideally we'd have combiners with good robot modes, good vehicle modes, and limb modes that looked like the limbs we were supposed to look like without any add-on pieces but personally I don't see PCC as a regression so much as Hasbro deciding to have the next line do one thing and do it well.

As for the movie line, I hated the movies themselves and have avoided every character that appeared in them (except for Sideswipe, but he barely did anything so he gets off on a technicality) but a lot of the off-screen robots have been pretty nice. Especially the Scouts (I like small bots and I cannot lie.)

Personally, I find the headsculpts on the movie bots to be a bit too busy for my tastes, but I do appreciate that they're not greyfaces and I love the detail on the bodies. I'm also getting really tired of the blockyness that we got throughout A/E/C and the Classics lines so this is a welcome change. Kinda reminds me of the Beast Machines Vehicons except with Earth modes, and I loves me some Vehicons.