Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > TFcon Discussion

Old 07-07-2014, 02:49 PM   #1
mastereh
Generation 2
Tips and Tricks for Buying at TFCon

So I'm attending TFCon for the first time on Sunday and was wondering what tips and suggestions people would have for buying transformers?

It was suggested in the Selling tips thread that a new thread for Buying be created.
mastereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:04 PM   #2
MonkeyPanda
The worst Fuzor
Re: Tips and Tricks for Buying at TFCon

Sunday on TFCon becomes more of a general 80s toy dealer room than just Transformers. Saturday is more Transformers-oriented.

Make a list of the Transformers you're interested and check what the aftermarket/current prices are so you know what price range they should be at (in whatever condition you need them at.) Don't want to rip yourself off for obvious reasons.

Make sure to thoroughly inspect the figures (especially pre-owned) before you buy, and don't necessarily take the dealer's word as confirmation. I had a guy tell me his Generations Blurr was in mint condition but actually had a molding error on his body. Likewise with things that cannot clip on properly.

If you see something you want and it's at a good price, buy it opposed to checking out other dealers to see if somebody has an even better price. It's most likely going to be sold out when you go back for it.
MonkeyPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:06 PM   #3
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Spend money . Usually what I will do is walk around once or twice to check things out, say hi to anyone I know, just to get a line on best prices. I would only jump on something if I knew it was too good a price and would kick myself later. Example found a MIB Cybertron Primus for $40 and didn't get it. Went back 5 min later and it was gone. Always ask if things aren't priced, you would be amazed at what some stuff is. Example, 2 years ago went to a show, not sure which one, and my freinds son asked about a Titanium G1 Ultra Magnus, MISB, and the man answered $10. Beyond that I got nothing, hope that helps
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:07 PM   #4
elburrito
Animated

Review TF Con sales threads! Make contact in advance if possible. If you do arrange a purchase before hand, expect to pay full freight. But have an idea of your priorities in advance.

Get into the dealer room as soon as is possible. Survey the room quickly once over. Make decisions quickly - desirability/cost/resources) Start the room again this time purchasing (obviously, from most to least desired items).

Stuff your loot in the trunk of your car (or arrange it for best carrying convenience).

Have coffee and hot dog. Leisurely browse the dealer room for gleanings and enjoy the rest of the conference)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastereh View Post
So I'm attending TFCon for the first time on Sunday and was wondering what tips and suggestions people would have for buying transformers?

It was suggested in the Selling tips thread that a new thread for Buying be created.

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
jtkv
Robot Master

shower?
This will be my first TFCon as well.... looking forward to it.

The last (and only) Transformers show I went to in Markham, I found that walking thru the sales area once was helpful as I got to see what was available and an idea of the prices. Then I'd come back to tables that sold loose/lower-priced items and picked thru them one by one.

Always haggle the price and try to buy in multiples for better deals.
For Sale List thread

Last edited by jtkv; 07-07-2014 at 03:14 PM.
jtkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:35 PM   #6
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models

1) Pounce on what you want that's rare / hard to find and even decently priced. Example: I expect any and all Quakewaves priced at $300 or less to be gone in minutes. Any toy that's hard to find and in-demand like that will GO if the price isn't outrageous. On the other hand, if someone prices a Quakewave at $450, I don't see it flying off their table.

2) Take your time on items lots of dealers will have in stock. Most of the recent 3p combiner limbs, for example. Most retail TFs. Etc. These are worth waiting on for the best deal.

3) Learning the difference between #1 and #2 is part art, part luck. Sometimes you *will* be caught on the wrong side of it, that's life.

4) Professional dealers are less likely to give huge discounts on a figure or two, as they can and will simply roll whatever stock doesn't sell into the next show or their online store. Better luck with them is deals on many figures at once, or on something they are significantly overstocked on.

5) "Non-pro" tables, where the seller is looking to *move* their items and don't want to take much home, can often be great for end-of-day super deals. However your choices are severely reduced by then, and end-of-Saturday isn't a guarantee as they may be selling Sunday too.

6) Make offers but be reasonable. Don't be upset or offended if they say no, or counter.

7) Try to pay with appropriate denominations when you can. No seller wants to keep making change for $50 bills for $5 items.

8) Assume the ATM *will* be empty when you need it. Keep an eye out for tables that take credit cards if you're worried about cash reserves. Square and other smartphone tech have let more vendors accept cards, but it's still a tiny minority overall. Still, if 2 vendors are selling the same figure for the same price and one takes credit cards, you can maximize your cash on hand. You can also overspend though, so keep track.

9) Take breaks, drink lots of water, eat food. Hunger and dehydration make for bad decisions (and health risks!).
Goaliebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:26 PM   #7
UltraMarknus
Springer Fanboy
UltraMarknus's Ebay Auctions

Hate to be negative...but don't expect insane deals. Expect to spend what items go for on eBay/e-stores. Long gone are the days of ignorance lol. Don't look at TFCon as an opportunity to grab some sweet deals because of currency and no shipping. A lot of times, your paying the same price and sellers add them into their prices. It kinda sucks tbh but in most cases you buy stuff from a con for instant gratification and as a momento of the expereince.

My Feedback Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=ultramarknus
UltraMarknus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:29 PM   #8
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models

^ Very true. If BBTS or TF Source sell something for $150, expect $180-$190 pricing at the show, maybe more. Don't forget that our dollar is 10% lower, and dealers here pay higher shipping and customs fees to get products up to our Great White North.
Goaliebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:46 PM   #9
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

on new stuff, deals are few and far between, on anything older though, it can be had, just be fast enough to get them.

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #10
alternatorfan
g1 baby

Spend all your money in the first 15 minutes
And regret it after lol