Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 05-01-2019, 09:03 PM   #1
ssjgoku22
Nexus Maximus
Walmart's Price Matching is Total BS...

Really pissed at Walmart right now. I tried to get them to match the 25% off that Toysrus currently has, since Galaxy Prime was $69.97, and they gave me some bullshit excuse that they don't price match with percentages, only actual prices (I provided the flyer and everything). I've never heard of such crap in my life, especially when the ad clearly stated 25% off of all Transformers $19.99- $79.99. I don't see why they're making this an issue.

Their service and policies are really going downhill lately. They have a price match policy, but don't price match with online retailers (like Amazon) and not even their own website. Now they're making Toysrus an issue. I probably would rarely shop there if TRU and EB would get their Transformers on time.

Last edited by ssjgoku22; 05-01-2019 at 09:27 PM.
ssjgoku22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:33 PM   #2
Xtreme987
Metroplex
Re: Walmart's Price Matching is Total BS...

Walmart has been doing that for quite a while now. I've even heard that they're trying to do away with the whole price-matching policy altogether.
Xtreme987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:38 PM   #3
predahank
Storing is hoarding

With WM I don’t even bother trying unless its the exact bot pictured in the ad with an exact price. Even then they’ll scrutinize it
predahank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:40 PM   #4
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjgoku22 View Post
Really pissed at Walmart right now. I tried to get them to match the 25% off that Toysrus currently has, since Galaxy Prime was $69.97, and they gave me some bullshit excuse that they don't price match with percentages, only actual prices (I provided the flyer and everything). I've never heard of such crap in my life, especially when the ad clearly stated 25% off of all Transformers $19.99- $79.99. I don't see why they're making this an issue.

Their service and policies are really going downhill lately. They have a price match policy, but don't price match with online retailers (like Amazon) and not even their own website. Now they're making Toysrus an issue. I probably would rarely shop there if TRU and EB would get their Transformers on time.
You've never heard such crap in your life? Their price matching policy has stated "won't match just percent off" for YEARS. It was like that when I still lived in British Columbia, which was over nine years ago.

I understand your frustration. But their policy has been this way for a LONG time. If you can't show them an actual price for an item, they don't want to match it. If the flyer shows the actual price for, say, a deluxe class figure, then fine. If it doesn't, too bad. This is NOT even close to news.

(I can't recall clearly but I'm fairly sure they have a "not matching online retailers" listed in there as well. And it's kind of asinine to expect them to match amazon, of all places. I do agree that their refusal to match WALMART.CA is silly.)

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:23 PM   #5
ssjgoku22
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
You've never heard such crap in your life? Their price matching policy has stated "won't match just percent off" for YEARS. It was like that when I still lived in British Columbia, which was over nine years ago.

I understand your frustration. But their policy has been this way for a LONG time. If you can't show them an actual price for an item, they don't want to match it. If the flyer shows the actual price for, say, a deluxe class figure, then fine. If it doesn't, too bad. This is NOT even close to news.

(I can't recall clearly but I'm fairly sure they have a "not matching online retailers" listed in there as well. And it's kind of asinine to expect them to match amazon, of all places. I do agree that their refusal to match WALMART.CA is silly.)
I've read in multiple posts that people were allowed to price match using this same Toysrus sale in other stores (one a few days ago in Calgary). Each store seems to have different standards which is bs. Also, Best Buy and Memory Express price match (and price beat with Best Buy) with Amazon. So I don't see how it's asinine when other brick and mortar retailers are clearly doing it.

Stores would rarely make a fuss when you provide them physical proof of a sale elsewhere. I don't really care if they've had this policy for years, it's quite nonsensical.

Here's that other price matching scenario I was referring to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaingunsofdoom View Post
1x GF OP @ 130th WM. Hiding behind 2x Shockwave on lower shelf.

It doesn't scan... good luck buying it. Took me 20 mins and 3 reps to checkout with my 1. But I did get a PM with TRU after explaining Leader class size and their sale.

Last edited by ssjgoku22; 05-01-2019 at 10:32 PM.
ssjgoku22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:46 PM   #6
canprime
Nexus Maximus
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme987 View Post
Walmart has been doing that for quite a while now. I've even heard that they're trying to do away with the whole price-matching policy altogether.
That seems to be the direction they are trying to go in the future.

I can't.remeber if it was last year, or earlier, but they reduced the number of items they will price match, and they also limit what stores they will price match. So no mom and pop shops, but also a lot of second tier chains (T&T grocery comes to mind)

Honestly I have vented about Walmart before, especially their ridiculous claim that they won't price match their own website because it is a different company.

For my collecting, and groceries, I use them less and less. On the grocery side I don't find their prices to be the lowest anymore, except on sale. The exception is their "strategy" of buy multiples of an item for a discount. However I usually don't want to buy 2-4 of the same food item just to save a few cents, while spending more in total.

For toys, they don't seem to ever do sales on items I want, and TRU has regular sales. So I rarely buy from them anymore, unless it is an exclusive, or on "clearance" to a price worth paying.

Maybe they just don't feel the need to compete as much in our market (Canada) since there are so few real large scale competitors.
canprime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:57 PM   #7
evenstaves
you renegade maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
Their price matching policy has stated "won't match just percent off" for YEARS.

If you can't show them an actual price for an item, they don't want to match it. If the flyer shows the actual price for, say, a deluxe class figure, then fine.
This has been my experience as well

Haven't admatched in a while, but when I did, it was in WalMart, with TRU flyer in-hand
They literally said "they needed a displayed dollar amount" to override the price to; they wouldn't do percentages, claiming that 25% off their item, wouldn't be the same as 25% of TRU's item (back before the Siege price increase, when TRU figs were actually more expensive than WM; these days are basically the same)
Bumped my head and got refused a few times early in, but I figured it out enough, cleaned up on a few things (mostly TR)
evenstaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:02 AM   #8
Collectingtoys
Kid of the 80's

Yes, the price matching at Wal*Mart is all over the place.

I don't get mad at the staff there when they decline my matching request. However, I am a close to a few Wal*Marts on the way to & from the office so usually getting other stuff so it's not a trip just for Transformers.

Perhaps just wait for the figures to arrive Toys R Us & EB Games or give the business to the sponsors here on this site. It feels like as time goes on we'll be buying the mass released Hasbro figures closer to the full retail price so I would rather give it to the smaller retailers.
Collectingtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:09 AM   #9
MonstaBot
Sword of Fury=:p

I was able to get the price match with the Toys R Us online image on my phone plus the flyer at the Square One Walmart.
I did have to do a little explaining, but the cashier eventually happily rang it up for me. It's true they do not price match by percentage, but if you show them the item online reduced plus the flyer and calmly explain then you might get it. All depends on the cashier and or manager on duty, but I've been successful at Walmart 3 times during this recent Toys R Us sale.
Good luck

Last edited by MonstaBot; 05-02-2019 at 12:13 AM.
MonstaBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:35 AM   #10
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

I'd like to chime in to say that I've also known the official policy is they don't match percentages, and it's been in place for as long I can remember. I've been told by other companies that they don't do percentages either.

But it doesn't hurt to try, because sometimes if you get the right person at the right time, they will do it. Just don't expect it to work all the time.

Personally, I find a pleasant demeanour and a good attitude about things goes a long way no matter which way it goes. And I find when I do try, I get the percentage discount way more often than not.