Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 09-19-2017, 03:47 PM   #81
Matrix_Holder
The chosen one
Re: Goodbye TRU?

Walmart voyagers were 29.99 when tru went to 34.99, warrior class is 21.99 at tru while 19.99 at Walmart, leader class figs are cheaper at Walmart too at most locations.
Matrix_Holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:57 PM   #82
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

an update?

https://ca.yahoo.com/finance/news/to...042502481.html
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:05 PM   #83
Pascal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix_Holder View Post
Walmart voyagers were 29.99 when tru went to 34.99, warrior class is 21.99 at tru while 19.99 at Walmart, leader class figs are cheaper at Walmart too at most locations.
But now all toys are pretty much priced the same except Leaders ($5 more) and Dragonstorm ($10 more). 20-25% sale and TRU wins easily.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:05 PM   #84
CobraCommander
ありがとう任天堂 ಠ_ಠ

If TRU does go I'm sure it will have a significant impact to Hasbro/Mattel production numbers. Less B&M competition could lead to higher prices?
G.I.Joe Figures - Hisstank

Feedback Threads:
Cybertron.ca
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:17 PM   #85
BlackZarak
Robot in Disguise
BlackZarak's Ebay Auctions

I dunno if they're are going anywhere. There's a second TRU opening up in Barrie later this year, where the Target used to be. They are working on the facade when I drove by last week.
BlackZarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:32 PM   #86
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Combiner Wars started off with Walmart being more expensive, at least around here.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:31 PM   #87
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Where are you seeing those prices? warriors are 19.99 at TRU
http://www.toysrus.ca/search/index.j...&x=-783&y=-153

And from all reports I read, along with what i saw with my own eyes, the 34.99 voyagers were at Walmart during combiner wars. Photobucket is a real pain right now but I am sure I can find a pic I took of silverbolt at Walmart for 34.99. It was TRU's lower price point which got Walmart to lower their price to match it at 29.97. Proof of how badly we need competition.

As for higher prices in general at TRU, (outside their great sales which Walmart cant hold a candle to) its all irrelvant when TRU has a very generous price match guarantee. Compare it to Walmart where it must be the exact same figure with the price marked on a flyer. TRU lets us show them online prices, it doesnt have to be from a flyer. Walmart doesnt do that.

Of course there are asshole employees and not everyone likes the hassel of price matching, but complaining about higher prices when they will price match doesnt make much sense to me. Due to the price match policy I have bought 90% of my toys there and never ever paid more than I would have for the exact same product at a different retailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transbot90210 View Post
My worry, if we do lose TRU, is that all Canadians will have left is Walmart. Oh what a nightmare. My real world hunting days may end with TRU
I dont think fans are realizing how bad it is for us with TRU leaving. TRU Canada has been picking up a lot of the slack when it comes to exclusives over the years.
The Platinum Junkion set (Target exclusive in US), Seige on Cybertron set (BBTS exclusive in the US), Platinum Dinobots (BBTS exclusive in the US), RID One Step 6pack (Target exclusive in the US), and on and on.

If we lose TRU, bye bye exclusives in Canada. Hasbro already said how it worked, if no retailer in a country picks up an exclusive, they wont get it. And Canada has missed exclusives in the past like Platinum Unicron, Platinum Blaster and Perceptor, Titans Return Brainstorm and plenty of previous ones (only naming some recent stuff). We cant bet on Walmart picking up all that slack, since clearly some exclusives are currently being skipped in Canada and Walmart doesnt even stock their own exclusives sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deception View Post
Lol well this explains all those goddamned price hikes
I dont understand, the only difference in price between the toys at TRU and those at Walmart are the Generations and movie leaders, everything is pretty much the same.

The price hikes were all decided by Hasbro, not TRU, we even have press releases from hasbro showing the new MSRPs they are telling retailers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper6 View Post
WHAT? If they are a separate entity why is Canada TRU also filing for Bankruptcy protection? They shouldn't even be in the same boat as TRU US... I don't understand.
Neither do I. TRU is clearly doing better in Canada with stores opening and such, plus less competition. I find it super odd that every other country outside the US is not impacted aside from Canada (which even has to open its own independent bankruptcy protection). Odd indeed.

Last edited by MapleMegatron; 09-19-2017 at 09:33 PM.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:59 AM   #88
wedge1021
Energon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper6 View Post
WHAT? If they are a separate entity why is Canada TRU also filing for Bankruptcy protection? They shouldn't even be in the same boat as TRU US... I don't understand.
I'm wondering if maybe it's to keep the US side's creditors from trying to reach around and sue the Canadian side. There's probably a lot of creditors that operate in both countries, and there may be portions of their operations that are interconnected even just a bit. That might be enough of a foot in the door that they'd be able to go after TRU Canada if they really wanted to.
wedge1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:50 AM   #89
tusko
Classic

They said on the radio an entity like Amazon may buy TRU.... interesting thought. I wonder if it'll just be an ownership change or an outright rebranding.

I have a few gift cards, should I go on a shopping spree?
Old 09-20-2017, 10:21 AM   #90
Soundwaves
Robot Master

The bankruptcy process will take a while.

Tru has a lot of debt but still makes a lot of money.

Chapter 11 for tru Canada next week.

From there, it all depends on how their able to restructure their debt.

I think I read in total, they're paying 400 schmill a year just to service their long term debt.

This is mostly about reducing THAT number.

If they DO go belly up, anyone want to invest in opening a toy store?
Soundwaves is offline   Reply With Quote