Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 05-11-2017, 08:43 PM   #11
Pascal
Banned
Re: Unofficial Photographic Archive vol 1 and 2

Yeah, I would buy similar books for G2, BW, RID, A-E-C, etc. !
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:47 PM   #12
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

I'm down for them. Looks great
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:56 PM   #13
Iron Moose
Knows things

so into it.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:40 PM   #14
Msol
Titanium

Looks great. I've got the box art book already and this will go nicely with that.
Msol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:43 PM   #15
steamwhistle
Crossover

This is awesome, brr-icy!
I'd be in for a copy too.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Feedback thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=steamwhistle
steamwhistle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:03 PM   #16
DuG
Titanium

I'm in for a copy! Be great if you had these available for TFCON.
DuG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:03 PM   #17
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULTIPLEX View Post
This is exactly the type of reference book I'm looking for.

Did you manage to get official Dinocassette pics in there?

Count me in for both. Really nicely done, brr-icy. Top notch.
There are no KOs in the book, all official, I don't even own the ko dinocassettes anymore haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo.Dave View Post
I'm down! Where's the kickstarter or whatever??
TFCON sales booth maybe?
we're figuring out what to do with the initial start up, might be a kick starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak View Post
Love it! I'm down for a set. Any plans to continue on and cover all eras?
we'll have to see how good these do, but it's a possibility sometime

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:12 PM   #18
B13
I.Prefer.Decepticons

I never said that before on this forum, but the right blurb is "insta-buy"!
B13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:17 PM   #19
zackmak
Robot Master

I saw this thread at tfw2005 as well, and I made a reply. I wanted to copy and paste it here, also. Here it is:

I originally posted there should be no prices shown in the book. But after some thought, I know I would appreciate market value worth, whether I'm reviewing the book at present time, or years later. The reality is, ALL collectibles SHOULD have an official (or publicly-accepted) price guide for the obvious reasons of buying, selling, trading, insuring, replacement value through insurance if stolen, damaged, etc., etc.,

While sportscards publish monthly and annual price guides, along with "up-to-the-minute" price guide websites (eg. Beckett), this is a rarity amongst collectible items. Many collections are lucky enough to have one, or a few books, published across many years, with prices in them. This is the case of Transformers. But most collections don't have a reference to prices/value, and I can see how that can be at a disadvantage per the reasons mentioned above.

Ebay is probably the biggest tool people use to gauge market value. But it can also have huge variance amongst 'sold item' costs between two+ identical items sold, for no rhyme or reason other than 'timing' of when it's listed. Some might say that's a 'good indication of average', but I truly believe it's first and foremost more about 'timing' and 'luck' (regarding when the item is posted, how it's titled for searches to pick it up; who happens to notice the item; how many happen to notice the item; who are bidding, who are not bidding because they don't know it's on ebay right then; who is overestimating/underestimating their 'buy it now' price; sellers only caring to make 'x' amount of profit so they have uncommon sticker prices; etc. etc. etc.) Basically, do you want your figure to be based on a noted 'fixed value'.... or an average of 'timing and luck'?

That being said, is there another way to get a fixed value not influenced by the aftermarket purchasing/selling swing? I would say no. The only way would be if something was always readily available in stores. Then you can say the fixed value is the MSRP. No argument. But since all Transformers leave the retail shelf at one point (or become hard to find on the shelf due to customer demand, short-orders/delivery of the items; or no retail store around the collector's vicinity), the prices change.

Other previously-published Transformers Price Guide books mentioned they used Ebay and retail/convention dealer information to come up with their prices. My guess is this is how this new book will come up with the prices too. It's not perfect, but it's the best method, I believe.

We don't know in 20yrs if Ebay will still be around, or if it will get replaced by a similar site. Or even if there will be new/replaceable methods of how to buy/sell collectibles. Therefore, gathering the data now when it is immensely available, is critical, in my opinion. Expecting a monthly publication of Transformers toys and their values is unlikely (not since Toyfare magazine folded), and so is the expectation that many more publishers (as the generation becomes older) will have interest in making another G1 price book (of which case, people will still argue against prices). Even if Ebay was to exist 20 years from now, trying to find prices on 50+ year-old toys will be a heck of a harder task, and the sample size will be probably be insignificant to make any logical conclusion. Hence, the earlier published price guides would have staying power. The prices are 'guides' for selling and buying. If we all stay within a reasonable percentage of that, the book did its job.

And besides, when it comes time to sell my toys, for example, who wouldn't rather have a one-stop-shop in going through all the values in one book? If the Transformers brand is still strong in 20 yrs, add 'x percentage' to the price in the book to get a market value; if the brand is weak or non-existent, minus 'x percentage' from the price listed in the book. Simple.

So yes, I really really want prices in the book. And not price ranges, either. One price per category (i.e. MIB, MLC, MISB, etc). Let the seller/buyer determine how much to differentiate from it.

And PLEASE keep the category showing how rare that figure is (ranked out of 10). Nice idea!! This is very important. If it's rare now, it will very likely be rare in 20 yrs, and vice-versa. That bit of information will also help in deciding final buying/selling price of an item down the road, no different than if you have the box, or accessories, or paperwork, etc.

The author Mark Bellomo had a 2007 and a 2016 price guide book on G1 Transformers. The 2007 values shown were quite large, as expected since the popularity of TF was huge at the time. The 2016 book had their prices increased, again, as expected, since the height of popularity for TF is huge, if not bigger than it was in 2007. I don't know if there was a common 'percentage' increase across the board, but it would make sense.

It would be interesting to see what this new 2017 book will have for price values. I would expect insignificant differences from Bellomo's 2016 book.

Anyways, that's my take. Hope my feedback is taken into consideration when final print comes.
zackmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:05 AM   #20
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

I disagree. This is a reference book, not a price guide. Putting a price on any collectible is such a cloudy and controversial subject and would detract from the purpose of this book IMO. We collectors will cherish with book forever. Why add something like price that would date the book. Rarity is a good way to get around this without getting into the debate of price. By excluding prices, in 50 years this book will still be relevant. I'll be passing it down to my kids and hopefully theirs too.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote