Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-26-2022, 03:00 PM   #11
Icetron
Re: NEW MSRP starting March 28th 2022

I don't really actively collect but it's definitely going to stop me from buying too much. The quality of paint/plastic has gone down along with the size of the figures, while the price keeps going up. If the quality has stayed the same or improved then it would still somewhat support the price increase.

I had tons of figures from last year have breakage or issues, it's ridiculous. (I just opened my Paleotrex and he has a plastic molding defect for example)
Old 01-26-2022, 03:26 PM   #12
evenstaves
you renegade maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetron View Post
The quality of paint/plastic has gone down along with the size of the figures
Not to harp on it but man, I opened my SS86 Gnaw the other day with my kid

And I dug out my old G1 Gnaw for funsies, to compare?
My god, that thing is tough - wrangin' on the shoulder joints to slide down for transformation, it occurred to me "man, the force I'm using on this thing would crush new figures"
Those old boys were built to last man, they don't make em like that anymore
evenstaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 03:30 PM   #13
RansakWORK
Beast Machine

Ya the value of purchases keep dropping.

I can remember in 90s when Sports cards became so popular that Upper Deck and all the like started boosting prices to the point a pack of cardboard wasnt worth 8$ back then and it killed the market. Nostalgia has brought it back recently but it still suffers from the same issues.

Funko is going through this aswell... 2 dollar vinyl figures that basically cost 20$ plus shipping unless you get really really lucky in a store. Funko pops just dont seem worth it at 30 bux each especially for a lot of the "junk" lines they put out.

I see Legacy as the next step towards a breaking point. The crossover lines are good examples of where the value dropped so low they became shelf warmers. Quality has gone down, prices have gone up and more people drop off as that gap widens.

Toss in their "slow play" at releasing teams of figures and I dont see people waiting 3 years of low value in order to get a Menasor or full team of Dinobots.

Cheapest place to buy figures still is Gamestop with Edge card.
RansakWORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 03:34 PM   #14
Icetron

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenstaves View Post
Not to harp on it but man, I opened my SS86 Gnaw the other day with my kid

And I dug out my old G1 Gnaw for funsies, to compare?
My god, that thing is tough - wrangin' on the shoulder joints to slide down for transformation, it occurred to me "man, the force I'm using on this thing would crush new figures"
Those old boys were built to last man, they don't make em like that anymore
My leader Slag ratchet joint broke on the same day I got it, and the issue with the popular characters is that they're also pretty hard to find/replace so it's just really annoying. I don't even collect TFs anymore but with another price jump I'll step back once again. However I really enjoyed collecting Kingdom / Siege / SS86 while the fun lasted, the crappy quality and higher prices are catching up to ruin the fun though.
Old 01-26-2022, 03:35 PM   #15
TriBlurr
Robot in Disguise

Glad I'm almost at Onyx membership at Gamestop. Should ease the burn. I've vowed to tap out after the 40th Anniversary so hopefully that helps till then.
TriBlurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 03:40 PM   #16
canprime
Nexus Maximus
canprime's Ebay Auctions

As I mentioned before, at TRU we are now looking at any future sales (20% off) bringing the price down to just the current regular price, or higher.

And is anyone going to spend $290 +tax for a Titan class Cybertron Metroplex?? A 20% sale would bring it down to $240ish? Yikes.

Yes there are other retailers thankfully, but I don't imagine it will be much better come April.

I'm definitely now in the category of big discount purchases unless it is an absolute must have, and I don't see that happening much anymore. I guess I'll be stalking Amazon.ca and Walmart.ca for clearance prices.

P.S.

I just realized with their new pricing, if you wanted the upcoming Menasor team, at regular price, it would be:

Motor Master: $140
4 Deluxes: $43x4= $172

So $312+tax . That will be $352.56 for Menasor. If you manage to get the whole team at 20% off that would still be $282.05.

Again, yes you can probably get it cheaper at other retailers, but it probably won't be by that much.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 02:23 AM   #17
savagephil
Robot in Disguise

This is insanity, Hasbro I think will be having a tough time with their sales this year with Transformers with these prices. Only think I really want in collection is ss perceptor, leader sludge, snarl, swoop, and whatever characters needed to fill in gaps, like tarantulas, bw inferno. Other than that I'm happy with what I have
savagephil is offline   Reply With Quote