Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 11-02-2014, 04:18 PM   #1
Scaleface
Beast Machine
Play With This Too Bloodbath (not Bomb-Burst/Blood)

Play With This Too's third figure is an homage to Generation 1 Bomb-Burst, also called Blood in Masterforce.

WikiAlpha.org page - http://en.wikialpha.org/wiki/Bloodba...th_This_Too%29

Desolataur is a 6 inch tall articulated monstrous vampire with optional hands, weapons and a transforming Tech Drone partner. He is the second "bad guy" of their toy line from PWTT, and is designed by former Hasbro designer Steve Redinger. It will be part of their Kickstarter project coming early in 2015.

http://www.playwiththistoo.com

Scaleface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:44 PM   #2
Matrix_Holder
The chosen one
Re: Play With This Too Bloodbath (not Bomb-Burst/Blood)

How is this not stealing IP again haha. Looks great though, I may bite if I can see one in hand.
Matrix_Holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:01 PM   #3
Pascal
Banned

Zero interest in that line so far. Same with BMOG.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:30 PM   #4
Scaleface
Beast Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix_Holder View Post
How is this not stealing IP again haha. Looks great though, I may bite if I can see one in hand.
The way it's not stealing IP is because Rik Alvarez, former Hasbro employee has states explicitly in interviews, that he knows exactly what is allowed and not allowed when making toys like these. He knows what Hasbro will care about, and what Hasbro will not care about.

Fans have invented this fiction that Hasbro is out to squash companies for making any collector toys that are somewhat similar to Transformers.... that's simply not true. They honestly don't care much, and you have to copy certain specific things that are trademarked or copywritten to get the Hasbro lawyers working. These items do not violate those rules.

So if Rik is good with making these toys, and Hasbro is good with him making these toys, maybe they are just fine?

Do you remember when Erik Larson left the Hulk comic book from Marvel and made his own comic series called Savage Dragon? A lot of people called it "Hulk with a fin on his head", but no one was sued, everyone was fine with it except a few rabid fanboys on the internet, and the series is still going on.

Last edited by Scaleface; 11-02-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:12 PM   #5
Matrix_Holder
The chosen one

It's all ok because he said it's ok and he said that Hasbro is ok with it. We all know this is obviously IP theft of Bomburst or Blood as he is called in master force except instead of the robot being on the inside he becomes the armor and weapons. I buy tons of 3rd party figures but lets call a duck a duck. Hasbro may not bother to come after these companies but it is IP theft, it doesnt bother me as long as I get the toys I want if Hasbro wont bother to make them for me.

Last edited by Matrix_Holder; 11-02-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:55 PM   #6
Scaleface
Beast Machine

You clearly do not have a complete graps on what IP theft is.

There is an actual legal definition of IP theft, and it REQUIRES that the person who was supposedly stolen from complain. YOU and I cannot claim it's IP theft, Hasbro has to say so. By the law if Hasbro do not complain, it's 100% legal.

PWTT has clearly stated their toys are homages to Pretenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Troop
"The line will homage multiple sci-fi and fantasy lines. The first major push takes inspiration from the Pretenders, but that's not all that's coming."

Last edited by Scaleface; 11-02-2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:48 PM   #7
Matrix_Holder
The chosen one

I have a very clear grasp on it. You on the other hand are defending them for some unknown reason. If it's not made by the IP owner it's theft of that IP, they clearly want to make money off of someone else's creation. But whatever. A duck is a duck is a duck. Anyways , if they're decent I make grab one.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:15 PM   #8
Scaleface
Beast Machine

I'm not DEFENDING anyone, I'm just not making up facts that don't exist. Not every homage is IP theft. You don't seem to know that. Hasbro has yet to make a single claim of IP theft against ANY third party Transformer company. The last time a suit was filed was in the 1980's when a company actually copied the Jumpstarter molds and sold them as their own toys, and Hasbro won that case on a technicality of patent law. These toys from PWTT do not copy any existing Hasbro mold, use any Hasbro name, or trademarked symbol. They do not sell them under the pretense that Hasbro made them. Hasbro has not complained, or even sent them a letter. There is NO IP theft.

There is actually a button on Kickstarter where you can report any IP theft in a project, and it says right in the reporting that you can ONLY report it as IP theft of something that you own the IP for. That's done on purpose to keep fanboys like you and I from deciding what IP theft and bothering them with meaningless claims.

You ever read a comic book? Ever notice how one company will make up a character that seems a lot like a character owned by another? Ever wonder why DC doesn't sue Marvel for IP theft for having Power Princess, who is very clearly a ripoff of Wonder Woman? Or why Marvel doesn't sue Image comics for Savage Dragon, who looks like the Hulk with a fin on his head and is written by a former Hulk artist? Homages are not IP theft. That's why.

Last edited by Scaleface; 11-02-2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:39 PM   #9
Matrix_Holder
The chosen one

Homages are the PC term for ripping someone off.

Last edited by Matrix_Holder; 11-02-2014 at 11:42 PM.