Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 11-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
yuppa
Generation 1
Transformer plastic yellowing

I'm not talking about stuff like g1's getting yellow'd parts.. (jetfire, skylynx)

I mean.. I bought a tf in 2007.. I left it on the card..
(bone crusher, first movie)
It was not displayed, in fact it went pretty much from the store into a box in my closet.

I recently pulled it out.. and to my suprise, the outer plastic shell is rather yellowed..
I am quite suprised at this.. So I looked up this guy on ebay, and the people posting him do not have yellowed plastic bubbles.. (not to mention the cost.. really? 50-60 bux for this guy on card??)

Any other member experiences or input onto yellowed plastic bubbles on not-that-old tf's?

on a side note, I got the first star wars crossover - darth vader tie fighter - 2006, and it was stored in the same box for the last 5 years, right beside bonecrusher, and it still looks mint. No yellowing at all. What gives??
yuppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..
Re: Transformer plastic yellowing

UV light causes the yellowing, often it's sunlight, but even certain compact fluorescent bulbs and halogens can accelerate the issue. Generally speaking, the resins do not have proper UV inhibitors mixed in during manufacture.

Packaging is as susceptible as plastic parts.

The problem can be reversed to some extent, see the fine work by Chansformers and others here: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...rogen+peroxidehttp://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...rogen+peroxide

The same process applied to parts could be applied to the PVC bubbles
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions
Re: Transformer plastic yellowing

Isn't Hasbro trying to make the plastic in their packaging bio-degradable to some extent? If that's the case, it could be actual breakdown/decay due to oxygen or carbon dioxide or something.

edit: Also, do you have any drywall in your home that was installed between 2003-2005? If so, you might have some of that crappy Chinese drywall that causes massive problems with plastics and electronics (and makes you sick). You can tell because silverware tends to blacken (especially actual silver silverware). If so, contact an electrician and contractor immediately.

edit2: I've had some new toys come with a very light misting of oil, probably from the manufacturing process, on the inside of the bubble, and on parts of the figure itself. I have a feeling this might be the same case, but just left for a long time. The oil breaking down may have altered the plastic's colour.

Last edited by Shepp; 11-06-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote