Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2010, 02:49 PM   #71
Malwave
Resident Gryphon
Malwave's Ebay Auctions
Send a message via MSN to Malwave Send a message via Skype™ to Malwave
Re: Is there a Geek Hiearchy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMIIWonkoNemises View Post
It's just a Wikipedia entry.
XD I knew that...totally
Malwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:29 PM   #72
RIDUltraMagnus
TFW2005-RIDUltraMagnus
Send a message via MSN to RIDUltraMagnus

For me, If you can carry on a conversation and not bring in Transformers in any way shape or form, Your're a casual fan.
'Nuff said.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:59 PM   #73
OneShallFall
FoxtrotUnicornCharlieKilo

(censored for content)

<---- closet nerd
Old 04-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #74
Mumps
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDUltraMagnus View Post
For me, If you can carry on a conversation and not bring in Transformers in any way shape or form, Your're a casual fan.
'Nuff said.
This. Though around my friends it's hard, cause they always bring it up, and they aren't as big of fans as I am.

But chatting with people who aren't "nerdy" is something that some of my friends have a hard time doing. My one friend is completely anti-social, and has a hard time discussing anything other than Anime. We always go see this Improv comedy show every Friday, and after the show they hang out with everybody and chat and drink for the rest of the night. Well, my friend said to me "I wish I could be social and hang around here instead of leaving right after the show each time." so I say "Well... why don't you just DO it?" to which he replies, "do what? Just BECOME social? How do you do that?"

*facepalm*
Mumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:56 PM   #75
Skullgrin
Generation 1

I think it's horribly stupid. I mean I understand why social rules are important. Don't get me wrong.

Just that after realizing how obsessed I am with transformers. I think we need to work on changing this social hiearchy thing.

I mean let's use fat ba$t@$& analogy.

Maybe some people are weirder than others but who's to say that's a bad thing?

Aren't the geeks themselves helping to perpetuate stigmas of social alienation?

It kind of gets to me. I mean if I didn't develop this feeling of alienation I wouldn't feel like it's me against the world.

Most people are generally pretty nice but if you were alienated in childhood for example. Then you develop this feeling of being alien to others and being told who you are.

What desire would you have to conform to social norms. If the majority feels like an enemy or this seperate entity.

I know people should strive between a fair balance of fitting in and being their own person.

Just that it's much harder for an angry bitter person to do that.

Fandoms will talk lightly about this stuff but no one wants to seriously address it. Heck I notice fandoms have their own undesirables and there seems to be little understanding for those people.

I think all humans are just concerned with fitting in with the majority and little else.

Am I saying being unrealistic or too eccentric about the hobby is right? Probably not but how can we expect people to be mature about their eccentricity if we can't even take the time to treat people like fellow members of the human race.

If for example I know someone will make fun of my interests it's harder for me to respect their criticisms about it.
Skullgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:07 PM   #76
Skullgrin
Generation 1

It's not even that it's impossible to carry a conversation without transformers. For me personally transformers is a coping mechanism that helps me to keep going.

I try to avoid talking about it unless it's with people that do like it. Yet there's still that thing where when people do find out you have a hobby/obsession. I feel stereotyped and that makes me avoid social contact with others giving only my biggest coping mechanism more priority over my life.

I just find you can have a one track mind about something if the interest borders on obsession.

I like lots of other things but usually my mind has to be stimulated to focus on my other interests. Let's say I knew people that were into music I like and go to concerts. I would be influenced to spend more of my time and energy on music.

Or I'f I had a clique of freinds that like bike riding or illustration.

I find when I'm alone I focus more on what comes naturally to me.

For better or worse.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:39 PM   #77
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

TFCon should be offering a panel.

How To Deal With Real Life
Hosted by Gizmo

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:44 PM   #78
Nocturn
Previously Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
TFCon will be offering a panel.

How To Deal With Real Life
Hosted by Nocturn
Fix'd
Old 04-14-2010, 06:49 PM   #79
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullgrin View Post
I think it's horribly stupid. I mean I understand why social rules are important. Don't get me wrong.

Just that after realizing how obsessed I am with transformers. I think we need to work on changing this social hiearchy thing.

I mean let's use fat ba$t@$& analogy.

Maybe some people are weirder than others but who's to say that's a bad thing?
Of course it is not a bad thing. But unfortunantly there is a social requirment to fit in... someway. Sure a 'outsider' can often find friends in non typical areas (such as a Transformers Form) but even then there is a unwritten set of rules that you have to follow in order to fit it. If you, as a person in general purposely try to not fit in, you will be a very lonely individual. But don't think for a second that it is societies fault, much like everything else there is a give and take in life. Soceity will should not have to conform to one individual.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:25 PM   #80
Skullgrin
Generation 1

I understand that Team Jetfire but the way life is can make a person so bitter that they might not function like they might have if the events that caused the bitterness in the first place didn't happen.

Everyone thinks it's a matter of choice but it's not that simple. Sometimes life makes you develop pathological issues that are difficult to ignore in favor of what's logical.