Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 07-14-2008, 02:25 PM   #1
Endersrun
Generation 2
Transformers presence at Fan Expo 2008??

I would like to know if there will be any Transformers related presence at the 2008 Fan Expo.

I realize that it would have probably been better to attend the TFCon a few weeks back. However, I live in Montreal, and need to make choices on when I can schedule accordingly (both financially and for vacation time). Also, I love Tfs but enjoy Comics, Sci-Fi, Horror and Gaming as well.

Having said that:

1. Does anyone know what dealers will be there?

2. How about comic-book related presence from IDW? I have not noticed their artists/writers names on the list.

3. Will Hasbro be making some kind of appearance? I know that they have been accomodating a lot of the fandom with Q&A online (cybertron.ca) and at conventions (TFCon).

4. Is anyone thinking of dressing up a their favorite TF? Me, I'm thinking of dressing up as Wheelie...maybe.

5. How about some presence from Universal or Dreamworks? I'm guessing that it would be a good idea to promote their BluRay release for september and TF2 next year...even if it's just posters or coasters or whatever.

If anyone finds anything out, let's post it here - heck, maybe some of it is News worthy....
Endersrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:23 PM   #2
Endersrun
Generation 2
Re: Transformers presence at Fan Expo 2008??

I've been able to dig up very little. After the SDCC happens, I am sure that they will announce more guests and August 11th they will show more too (Events and Attractions).

I did find three Transformers alumni that will be at Fan Expo:
1. Stephanie Sheh
- script staff for TF Cybertron
2. Richard Cox
- voice of Scattershot in TF Cybertron
3. Steven Jay Blum
- voice actor for Darkscream in TF Robots in Disguise
Old 07-16-2008, 04:42 PM   #3
Endersrun
Generation 2

I just had another thought in regards to the TO Fan Expo:

Bear with me...
Transformers and G.I.Joe will both be release in summer 2009. Would not be totally cool if they could promote those properties at the Expo? I know I should probably side with the BotCon for these things, but the properties are all encompassing (SciFi, Comics, Toys, Anime...).

I can't think of something super-original for Tfs, but a few months (or is it years) back I saw a theatre performace of Cobra: The Musical! It was soo funny.. Cobra Commander, Destro, Baroness et al. were singing and dancing (in full 80's costumes I might add) to try to earn funds for terrorism... Apparently there is a part 2 called Cobra Christ Superstar, though I don't know much about it...

Anyways, I think that this would be an excellent presentation to include at the Fan Expo in 2009 (if only I knew who and how to contact...).

Later in the year, I'll try to start a different thread to see what other ideas can be had to celebrate the release of both movies and TFs 25th (Either at the Botcon - maybe part 1 and the Fan Expo - maybe part 2)... After all, something this big needs to be shared so it can become even bigger.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:53 PM   #4
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

TFcon will have a table there with posters and a few items for sale.

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:15 PM   #5
Endersrun
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan101 View Post
TFcon will have a table there with posters and a few items for sale.
That's Great!!! I will be sure to stop by ans annoy you..um, say hello I mean..
Old 07-16-2008, 05:41 PM   #6
Protoman
The Legend

You know Endersrun we have small cons here in Montreal with great TF presences due to my influence on them. The Toys on Fire con and ComicCon Montreal both are jammed packed with TF stuff every time.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:49 PM   #7
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersrun View Post
I would like to know if there will be any Transformers related presence at the 2008 Fan Expo.

I realize that it would have probably been better to attend the TFCon a few weeks back. However, I live in Montreal, and need to make choices on when I can schedule accordingly (both financially and for vacation time). Also, I love Tfs but enjoy Comics, Sci-Fi, Horror and Gaming as well.

Having said that:

1. Does anyone know what dealers will be there?

2. How about comic-book related presence from IDW? I have not noticed their artists/writers names on the list.

3. Will Hasbro be making some kind of appearance? I know that they have been accomodating a lot of the fandom with Q&A online (cybertron.ca) and at conventions (TFCon).

4. Is anyone thinking of dressing up a their favorite TF? Me, I'm thinking of dressing up as Wheelie...maybe.

5. How about some presence from Universal or Dreamworks? I'm guessing that it would be a good idea to promote their BluRay release for september and TF2 next year...even if it's just posters or coasters or whatever.

If anyone finds anything out, let's post it here - heck, maybe some of it is News worthy....
1. Not usually much in the way of TF.
2. Tentatively Alex Milne, that's about it.
3. No.
4. No.
5. No.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:25 PM   #8
Endersrun
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
You know Endersrun we have small cons here in Montreal with great TF presences due to my influence on them. The Toys on Fire con and ComicCon Montreal both are jammed packed with TF stuff every time.
I do go to both of those cons on a semi-regular basis. The ToyCon I love (and have bought stuff from you in the past, Protoman). It has some screenings and interesting invites to talk about customizing, but its mainly a place to buy more toys (nothing wrong with that).

The Montreal Comicon however, is very limited in scope. Sure they invite a couple of guests for signings but... I mean no offence to the organziers, but I always found that the Montreal cons only looked at one side of the playground. I mean, Montreal is mostly French and there is hardly an effort to try to include or attract folk that read BD. There are many European guests that could get invited that can draw extensive crowds (Jodorowsky or Moebius anyone) that reach both sides of the ficticious St-Laurent divide. I grew up with both Transformers and Goldorak, X-Men and Asterix, Spider-Man and Tin-Tin. I am sure I am not alone.

Also, I have always felt that Cons should be more than just a flea-market for buying and selling product . It should be about all things that involve those worlds that have been created. BotCon has Q&As, why can t we have some? The Anime fans dress up and have a hoot, why are other aspects of genre oh so serious about that?

I would love to put together a unique and memorable Montreal Con that considers all things genre in two languages and cultures... but when talking to people about collaboration, I've been met with resistence and according to many it is futile (sorry, I couldn't resist)...

Anyways, that's my rant. I will continue to support Montreal cons (they're not far or expensive and the sellers are cool..mostly). As for the BotCon, when the timing is right, I will make it out to TO for that...after all those are my peeps...But I like the BIG EVENT feel of the Fan Expo. It makes me feel that we 'geeks' are not alone and relegated to sub-culture. I LOVE Transformers, but Star Trek, Star Wars and BSG are gold to me too, as well as board games, books, meeting actors, artists and writers, getting books signed etc... I just wish some would abandon the politics that a big show entails nd just enjoy it (HSM vs PTCC 2006-7). and support it for the fans love of genre.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:28 PM   #9
Protoman
The Legend

Yeah it's tough running stuff here, most people are scared of the french..... can't blame them. The Fan Expo did come to Montreal years ago, but it bombed due to a lot of the reasons you would expect.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:34 PM   #10
Endersrun
Generation 2

Yeah, I remember it. 2003, was it? They came to Montreal with a very Toronto perspective, mostly catering to the Anglos. Before you spend that much time and money, you poke and test a market and get to understand what moves Montreal. Just for Laughs understand that, Jazz Fest gets it, and so does The Francofolies and Fantasia Film Fest.