Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 03-12-2014, 02:16 PM   #1
Slave
Energon
Slave's Ebay Auctions
Thumbs up Impossible Toys - MC-05 Gold Bee Review

Impossible Toys MC-05 Mini Car Gold Bee Review

Link to Video review here: http://youtu.be/hpWwRLxz3m8

Impossible Toys came out without much fanfare with a new line of Mini Cars serie. I didnt see much reviews anywhere about them, I dont see much posts on forums about them... wondering if anyone noticed. Sure Impossible toys arent the best 3rd Party Transformers makers... they totally let me down with their horrendous Arcee... But They did a fairly good job with their Tetra-Seekers.

So Impossible Toys' made 9 Differents Mini Car itterations (+3 Secial Black version I belive only available exclusively at BBTS)

Now I'm not a fan at all of Repaints and retools... so as awesome as the whole serie is, it actually took me a few hours trying to decide Which one of the lot I would pick up.

The serie goes as follow:

MC-01 Bumble-Bug
MC-02 Hill-Jumper
MC-03 Bump
MC-04 Hub
MC-05 Gold-Bee
MC-06 Glypher
MC-07 Tapper
MC-08 Bee-Bite
MC-09 Wasper

For copyrights reason they couldnt obviously use the real names, but we all know who they really are. I especially liked the Pink Arcee looking one and the Waspinator repaint one; they were quite original. But alas I made my choice and decided to pick up MC-05 Gold-Bee (Not Gold Bug). I'm tired of Bumble Bee and Cliffhanger, but in my whole collection, I never had my hands on a Gold Bug... so... I went ahead and picked that guy up to compensate the lack of original Gold Bug.

First the box is... all there is really... it's normal box, nothing much too it beside in the back there's a very Engrish Bio of Gold-Bee (if you wanna hear/read it, check the video Review). I love the Bio's Engrish, its incoherent at best and confusing at most... Engrish at its Best. Inside there's only a plastic Bubble containing the figure... there's no Instruction. Disapointed but the figure is so simple there really is no need for them. Heck I'm suprised there wasnt any Card in there... I dont mind, it's just that all 3rd Party Product always had cards.

Onto the Figure itself now...

Ok First thing out of the box... I never had the original G1 Goldbug... was I wrong to expect MC-05 Gold-Bee to be... GOLDEN? The color look more like Caramel than gold... maybe Tarnished gold... he's got pretty much the exact same colors as Reveal the Shield Goldbug. It's not a problem really, I was just expecting better golden looking color. I like how underneath the vehicle there's no robot Kibble at all. Oh and I DIG the rubber tires... I know some people dont like rubber tires... with time they get messed up... but I do love them.

Transformation is Level 1 at the most. Very simple, very reminiscent of the G1, but with updated ball-joint for maximum poseability. Yes he does very easily the Side-kick in the air. There's ball-joints everywhere; ankles have swivel + ball-joints, knees are ball joints, thighs, shoulders, elbows.

There is a Waist Swivel BUT I HIGHLY NOT RECOMMEND playing with the waist too much. My kodak doesnt pick it up nore the video camera, but looking at the back of the waist swivel, there's an empty cavity where you can see a tiny bit of metal sticking out; it's the screw which enables the waist to swivel. But looking at it closely you notice, it's an actual screw and there is no bolt holding it in. So basicaly, if you spin the waist counter-clock wise once or twice, I'm afraid the waist will unscrew itself and fall off. Sure you can dissassemble the figure easily with a screw driver and probably screw the waist back in... but I'm sure we would all like to Not got through fixing a new collector item.

The only articulation problems I see on the figure, First: the thighs. The thighs ball-joint is great but for some reason the thigh is a bit too thick or the ball-joint too close to the main body so the leg cannot reach 90 degrees going foward. the thigh bumps on the body and prevents it going further. The second thing about articulation, and this really nit-picking: No head movement. Sure it's a suberb hommage to the G1 Figure, and back then there were no head movement, and this toy line prolly kept it like so for the G1 asthetics... I appreciate this, but I would've love for some head movement.

Now robot mode is Excellent... this is what G1 was in my mind back when I was a kid... sure my original Bumble Bee wasnt as articulated as this... but in my 8yrs old head... he was, and he was awesome... and this figure is Friggin' EXCELLENT. Super mega poseable, Great looking, attention to details in the face... this is just PERFECT. It's a great figure. Yes he's small... and he's about 30$... but it's SO worth it.

But here comes my concerns, they are not problems... just concerns... I'm concerned about the plastic Quality. The plastic quality if pretty top notch... but as covered in the video, the ball-joints are pretty tiny... and I'm mad afraid they break. The plastic feels pretty solid, although it's a plastic quality that both stress marks easily, and breaks just as easily. I dont have problem with mine, there are no stress marks and it didnt break. But I'm fairly used to handling figures and I have had my fare share of breaking plastics... and this plastic concerns me. I'm Specially afraid with the Ankles. The Way the ankle Swivel+Ball-Joints is made... and the way you need to apply force on it for the transformation. I strongly believe the ankles are the weak point and we'll soon hear stories from people who got the figures and broke the ankles.

Size Comparison: Now I dont have an original G1 Bumble Bee to stand next to him, but I have the alternity Bumble Bee and The WST Bumble Bee... I also put in there Masterpiece Sideswipe for the kick. Where would he stand? I'm still debating this one myself... Car Mode doesnt fit in with any other line I can think of... Robot Wise I believe he'll fit right in the Classic or Generation line. He's always been a small dude and with a Generation next to him he does look like he belong.

Pros:
+G1 Hommage on all angles; Transformation, look, simplicity
+Updated G1 line with maximum poseability
+The whole serie is great looking, the redecos are awesome and original

Cons:
-Plastic Quality, altho it feels very solid... the ankles kinda scare me and feelslike they would break
-Thighs articulation hindered by body prevents 90 degrees foward.
-Not Golden Color (although I'm not taking any points of because of that, it's just my nit-picking)

Do I recommend? By all means I sure do. Personally he's too simple for my taste... but that's what was in mind I beleive...to make an updated version of the G1 line. And Impossible Toys hit the nail right on the head with this serie. Fans of the G1 series should jump on the occasion to get these. They are superb rendition of the G1 lines.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:35 PM   #2
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..
Re: Impossible Toys - MC-05 Gold Bee Review

Thanks for the review! It definitely helps me out.
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:42 PM   #3
Longshot
Pretender

I like the review. Interesting that the company made all those versions.
Longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:49 PM   #4
Pascal
Banned

Got plus Bumblebee a couple weeks ago. Pretty much what Slave said: nice updated G1 Minibots with good plastic quality but be careful with the ankles, just in case.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
impossible toys, mc-05, review