Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-02-2020, 03:18 PM   #21
Decepticon Army
King of the Obscure
Re: NETFLIX War for Cybertron: SIEGE discussion WITH SPOILERS

Okay, here is my rainy Sunday afternoon overview of War for Cybertron: Siege.

- The backgrounds are beautiful. The various depictions of the sky and the rain scenes were very well done.

- I liked the overall atmosphere of Cybertron’s surface. The city streets looked dilapidated and unpleasant, ravaged by the ongoing civil war.

- “Revolution not a genocide.” - Excellent line!

- LOVE the first shot we see of The Ark, and the score that is played when it first takes to the sky.

- The Seekers chasing down Jetfire was a great scene.

- I really liked how Elita was portrayed throughout the series. Openly questioning Prime, and how she chose to stay behind at the end is a cool twist to the G1 story.

- Megatron’s various portraits of himself were a great touch. Very Beast Machines.

- I liked how Ratchet was portrayed.

- Although I would have preferred a voice more reminiscent to his G1 self, I liked Shockwave enough. He reminded me of Tarantulas.

- Seeing Buzzsaw with Soundblaster made me smile.

- I really liked Jason Marnocha and Frank Todaro as Megatron and Starscream, respectively. Both do a great job.

DISLIKES:

- I disliked Bumblebee from the moment he told Wheeljack to shush. Shouldn’t that have been reversed? I know it’s not G1 anymore, but Bumblebee’s characterization really bothered me. If you want to go with a more brooding bot with attitude, why not pick someone else who is known for it? It should have been Cliffjumper and Wheeljack scavenging.

- Not enough variety in the voice cast. Most of the Autobots sound exactly the same.

- As he orders the Seekers to kill Wheeljack and Bumblebee, Megatron casually walks out the door. Then six seconds later Prime arrives and Megatron casually walks back through the door. Okaaayyyy... that was pretty pointless.

- Jake Foushee as Prime was ... okay. Not as bad as I thought he’d be, but he takes too many dramatic pauses mid-sentence. I’ll start referring to him as Shatnermus Prime.

- Sometimes the actions don’t match the dialogue. In Ep1 when they say they need to get out Decepticon territory ASAP, maybe they should be moving a little faster than a brisk walk?

- Magnus’ surrender cape, I’m sorry but how could they NOT tell who it is? If the surrender cape covered more of his body, that would have been fine, but the way it was, he should have just done without it.

- Magnus’ surrender: I had the same reaction as the Autobots especially Cog.

- I really disliked Mirage’s holographic disguise. I would have MUCH rather he became disillusioned with the Autobots and turned traitor.

- Maybe I missed something, but when he discovers The Ark, Jetfire’s turn against the Decepticons comes out of nowhere.

- So, you have dozens of generics in your forces who won’t be missed, but decide to kill Skywarp?

- Although I liked the Guardians, their voices should have been more imposing, and Omega’s voice is just wrong.

- Where the hell did Arcee come from so late in the game?

- Really? That’s all the Energon they needed to steal from Soundblaster? REALLY?!

MISC:

- The animation was decent enough, I guess. I thought it was very Fall of Cybertron meets Transformers: Cybertron. Some of it was nice. Some of it was painfully janky.

- Starscream’s speech about diluting their heritage, and not being true Decepticons. Hmmm, how very topical.

- How hilarious would it have been if instead of an Energon Cube, Cog opens up the trap panel and a gun barrel comes out instead.

- Would have been a neat touch if Impactor had an English accent. Oh well.

- During his speeches, what’s up with Megatron’s lip sync?

RANDOM COMMENTARY:

OPTIMUS PRIME: “It chose you?”
ME: “Of course it did! It’s flipping Bumblebee! He’s been the franchise’s go-to character since 2007! Why wouldn’t it chose him?”

JETFIRE: “That’s not what I signed up for.”
ELITA: “Then what did you sign up for?”
ME: “YEAH!”

Prime assigns Hound, Prowl, and Moonracer to accompany him and Jetfire.
ME: “Oh boy! Time to play Guess the Redshirt!”

Overall, I thought it was good, but not great. I’m not going to go out and hunt down the toys, but it was a harmless way to kill a few hours. 6/10.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:02 PM   #22
Collectingtoys
Kid of the 80's

Agree with everyone's comments about these first 6 episodes.

Was happy to see a new series partnered with Netflix, but disappointed that they didn't seem to get the big dollars necessary to do more.

I thought Transformers was going to get the same treatment as the Voltron Netflix series. In my opinion that was done incredibly well and they got 78 episodes out of that brand.

Transformers is a much more popular brand than Voltron and Netflix has invested & continues to invest gagillions of dollars into content so perhaps Hasbro could have lobbied for more money.
Collectingtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 12:14 PM   #23
Collectingtoys
Kid of the 80's

One more thing.

This version of Transformers doesn't have size changing/mass displacement or whatever it's called technology?!?
Collectingtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:08 PM   #24
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

I thought the show was a fun little two plus hour made for tv style movie.

Also, it was low maintenance, as in easy to watch due to using Netflix. I didn’t feel like I needed to be part of some ultra exclusive online club to watch the program.

I like the voice work more than I thought I would. My critique here is aimed at Hasbro specifically. Much like Rescue Bots Academy before it, the decision to use cheaper non union voice actors- no matter how talented they are- feels wrong.

If I’m ranking out of ten, I’ll go with a 7.5

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:45 AM   #25
burgerhui
Machine War

just finished watching it and is pretty good overall (i still prefer Beast Wars though LOL). Speaking of beast wars, the object in the opening theme music looks like the transmetal driver...
burgerhui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:39 AM   #26
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Just finished it. I went in ready to go all squinty-eyed at everything. But I was pleasantly surprised. It's a quality show with quality writing. You can tell they did their homework on lore and built something up using that.

Is it perfect, no. But it did a heck of a lot right. Easily one of the top TF shows since Beastwars. I can't wait for the next instalment. The story was definitely lean, but I wouldn't have minded a few more episodes.

I really liked how it wasn't just straight Autobot good and Decepticon bad. Nobody's hands are clean and nobody is perfect. That makes for some more interesting characters and drama.

Yeah, they reused a bunch of the CGI models to fill out background characters, but it didn't bother me. For customizers, it'll probably be a goldmine for custom painted bots.

And honestly, I'd rather have this show with a bunch of reused CGI than what we've been getting with a rainbow of unique CGI bots put there just to sell toys. It's easy to ignore penny pinching when the story is good.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:02 PM   #27
joshimus
Metroplex

I thought it was pretty boring, bland acting and the story was, well...weak. Things just kind of happen without cause. I dunno...
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:10 PM   #28
Powered Convoy

Loved the show, especially when Soundblaster and Omega Supreme showed up. What's the symbol on Soundblaster's chest?
Powered Convoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:03 PM   #29
Pascal
Banned

I really need to get on that Netflix bandwagon one day...
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:14 PM   #30
The7thParallel
Nexus Maximus

The problem is that Hasbro thinks it's the next Marvel. Much like Marvel took over their own films, Hasbro is taking the same strategy but WITHOUT the quality. The non-union actors, the slavish adherence to the toys, and the writing/directing that is just barely there to push said toys.

Cyberverse is the same. It's a shame, because if they went the Marvel route and SPENT some of the money they have been raking in they could really impact fans new and old alike to take their stuff to the next level. Instead, it all just rings hollow.

This show looks nice, but it cheaps out on every aspect. Writing, story, repeating characters, voices, episode count... all cheap. It's not far off what they're doing with their toys... building up hype and banking on fan enthusiasm and forgiveness while cheaping out on the end product.
The7thParallel is offline   Reply With Quote