Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > TFcon Discussion

Old 07-02-2008, 12:57 PM   #1
Nightshade83
Live Script Reading Question

I was just wondering, was the live script reading at the convention considered an "official" work of fiction by Hasbro, like the ones at BotCon apparently are?

I was just wondering. It would be nice to rub it in the Americans at Teletraan 1's faces that they don't have the only official convention stories.

If it isn't, it should be. Gregg Berger and all the fan voice actors did an amazing job!
Nightshade83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:15 PM   #2
energon
Generation 1
Re: Live Script Reading Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade83 View Post
I was just wondering, was the live script reading at the convention considered an "official" work of fiction by Hasbro, like the ones at BotCon apparently are?

I was just wondering. It would be nice to rub it in the Americans at Teletraan 1's faces that they don't have the only official convention stories.

If it isn't, it should be. Gregg Berger and all the fan voice actors did an amazing job!
That is interesting, I had no idea that the voice reading was supposed to be official anything at Botcon and I went to both cons. I Really don't think anyone would care anyway. I enjoyed the one at TFCon more.
energon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:54 PM   #3
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Glad you like the script reading, friend!

Neither TFcon nor BotCon/OTF script readings have ever been considered official by Hasbro, not even the OTF 1's written by Simon Furman.

While they are always silly (to keep the audience entertained), many times they involve Universe crossovers to satisfy the variety of Transformers, and these rarely fall into any continuity.

I prefer to write my scripts within 1 continuity (usually for the G1 Voice Actor) and set them up to support the established cartoon cannon.

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:44 AM   #4
Protoman
The Legend

The last 2 Botcon Scripts and all the written material and stories used for the TF Collector Club is done by M. Sipher and Trent Troop. They both agreed that none of their material is cannon as it's too far fetched and silly and more just to please a small mass of hardcore fans. While the TFcon scripts do stick to a standard continuity (G1 Cartoon USA), it does not try to change or set a standard that will alter the current fiction. It's what I call "respectful fan fiction".
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:07 AM   #5
Nightshade83

Somebody better tell that to the guys at Teletraan 1. They seem to think the BotCon live script readings are "official" microcontinualities, while those from "lesser" (i.e. not American) conventions aren't given the same respect. Therefore, information revealed about characters in BotCon script readings are considered "canon" (i.e. what happens to Flamewar after the "Decent into Evil" comic), while Nightbird getting an alt mode in TFCon's script reading would not be.

Is it just me, or is that totally not fair?

Aw, screw them! This site's better anyway.
Nightshade83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:20 AM   #6
Vangelus
Beast Machine

Well, to be fair, the convention-only characters exist for such miniscule amounts of time, it's not that bad to just let them have some more history.

But yeah, the Botcon 2008 script reading ended with several "We shall never speak of this again"s, in order to try and really clearly disavow it from being official at all.
Vangelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:08 AM   #7
Nightscrabbler
mississaugascrabble.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangelus View Post
But yeah, the Botcon 2008 script reading ended with several "We shall never speak of this again"s, in order to try and really clearly disavow it from being official at all.
I would have thought that that was a technique to make it seem like it really did happen but explain why there is no record/mention of it later.
Nightscrabbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:55 AM   #8
Magnimus
Alternator

I noticed that too at Teletraann 1; sometimes you will even find fanfaction written into the canon bios of official characters.

I guess that's what happens when you have a system where most anyone can change entries.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:22 PM   #9
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade83 View Post
Actually, there is some truth to this, at least there was in the past.

Past BotCons (circa 2001) had convention exclusive Toys that were called the 'Extended Universe' line, and the script readings featured these characters (as well as the BW characters of the Voice Actors).

Since Extended Universe (or whatever they called it) was a BotCon-only toy line, the script story was part of that official continuity, as it had zero impact on any other TF line.

Just like the Collector's Club comics for Shattered Glass are official cannon for the Shattered Glass line of toys (again, BotCon only so it doesn't effect any mass toy lines)

But the new BotCon only started script readings this year, and followed the same format that TFcon established years ago: using established universes.

So their story is Not official. Sounds like the Teletraan guys are a confused bunch.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:27 PM   #10
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
I would have thought that that was a technique to make it seem like it really did happen but explain why there is no record/mention of it later.
Yes, you are correct. It's a device usually used in crossovers or time travel stories; for exactly why you wrote.

The TFcon 2004 & 2006 script readings (crossovers) alluded such, while 2005, 2007, & 2008 were set in established single continuities.