Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #11
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero
Re: Prices on sales threads should be mandatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by chovner View Post
The Devil's Advocate was a great movie... That's all I have to say about that... lol
Quote:
I don't know it just seems like I'm playing an annoying game of Guess Who at the seller's house in these cases.
Don't get me wrong. No list price is shitty and I avoid such postings like a fish taco full of gonorrhea...just sayin' I kinda understand why some sellers might do that.

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #12
Gaetznes
Cassetticon

I'll play devils advocate. I don't have prices listed. However, my set up is done with pictures, not a list. Plus, I am only looking for Trade/Barter. So its a mater of perceived value. If I'm contacted, and person wants Item "B" from me, and are offering me, up from a choice of their items. I may end up picking Items "X, Y and Z". Which in my mind maybe worth less them my "B". They on the other hand, they may think 1 item is worth 1 item. It really comes down to ones personal assumptions and perception of value. An example of this:

Other times I've traded things that I know are worth a certain amount, for less then there market value. What I've received, was more the adequate. Even though they want to add more to the trade, for my benifet.

This can be explained by an individual devaluing items they have no personal attachment to. This works both ways though. A person selling off their highly prized item, may try and get significantly more then market value. Due to nostalgia or other personal attachment.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #13
chovner
Titanium
chovner's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryceball89 View Post
Totally agree with the pricing of vintage figures. It's really hard to put a price on those type of figures. It's really up to the seller and buyer's perception of how much the item is worth to them (in my case, how desperate am I to have that figure lol).
I don't necessarily agree because you're always able to do a little research to find the value of anything you're selling. Ebay is the perfect tool for that, where you can search completed listing for certain items and find out of much they sold for. In conjunction with that you can see all the current auctions, and Buy It Now prices and derive a general price based on that, whether you chose to be on the low end, average or high end of the price mean is ultimately up to you as the seller.
The whole "what's this thing worth to you?" attitude is shady in my opinion.
chovner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #14
rid
Beast Machine

Agreed. Items should have prices. No need to waste the seller's or buyer's time! I recently contacted an unnamed seller here about the FansProject insecticons (there's only one guy here selling the set of all 3 insecticons so you can guess who it is). He gives me a ridiculously high price. I went to Automaton and bought it for cheaper, including taxes and S&H and had it delivered to my door. And the guy had the audacity to PM me back asking why I didn't follow up on the deal.

My Wants:

Classics Game Of Deception (set preferred but individuals are OK too)
Most G1 Head/Power/Target-Masters
G1 RoadBuster, Scorponok, Shockwave
Any Optimus Prime (I have tons already but am always looking for more Primes)

Parts Needed: Triggerhappy's Targetmaster gun: Blowpipe (with gun attachment)

Last edited by rid; 01-06-2012 at 04:07 PM.
rid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #15
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models

YES YES YES.

I said the same thing about tables at TF Con but was argued down by people who enjoy the "back and forth discussion that results from asking prices", but to me if a For Sale thread (or table at a con) has no listed prices, I close it and never look back.

I always figure someone who doesn't put prices is looking for the highest selling price possible anyway, so that's another red flag for me.

In fact, what I wish we had on here was a way to add a personal comment to threads - a comment NOT visible to other posters, only to me. That way I could mark For Sale threads with things like "No Prices" or "Local Only" or "This guy screwed me over one time"... or even hide those threads. Right now too often I open a For Sale thread and go "Oh right, *this* guy"...
Do you have Perfect Effect Powermaster Prime upgrades PC-15 (little Ginrai dude) and PC-16 (transforming Prime cab) - or Fans Hobby Powerbaser - and you want some hard-to-get MISB ER / TR figures (the 3 ER Coneheads, Runamok, TR Twin Twist & Top Spin)? PM me if you're interested in working out a trade!
Goaliebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #16
Gaetznes
Cassetticon

Quote:
The whole "what's this thing worth to you?" attitude is shady in my opinion.
There are two ways, I can see, that you can look at this.

1: If the final price of the item(s), is extremely over priced. It can be because the individual, in fact does not really want to sell the item. If anything, they rather keep it, but if they do get there asking price. Well money speaks louder then words sometimes;

2: They maybe a reseller. Vs selling on bulk. They desire to maximize potential profits. So their playing the waiting game, until it sells for what they want.

However, in both cases, the Shady factor, is anticipating that the buyer will offer more then the desired price. Which is potentially for ethical issue. If its played differently, say with Make an offer, is more in line with negotiating on a equal level. As the previous could be perceived as a hostile method at negotiating.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #17
chovner
Titanium
chovner's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaetz View Post
I'll play devils advocate. I don't have prices listed. However, my set up is done with pictures, not a list. Plus, I am only looking for Trade/Barter. So its a mater of perceived value. If I'm contacted, and person wants Item "B" from me, and are offering me, up from a choice of their items. I may end up picking Items "X, Y and Z". Which in my mind maybe worth less them my "B". They on the other hand, they may think 1 item is worth 1 item. It really comes down to ones personal assumptions and perception of value. An example of this:

Other times I've traded things that I know are worth a certain amount, for less then there market value. What I've received, was more the adequate. Even though they want to add more to the trade, for my benifet.

This can be explained by an individual devaluing items they have no personal attachment to. This works both ways though. A person selling off their highly prized item, may try and get significantly more then market value. Due to nostalgia or other personal attachment.
I agree with people that have threads setup for trades only, because you're not looking for monetary compensation for what you're offering. But when someone basically says "I only want moneys for item x", I think they should say how much they want and then you negotiate accordingly from there.

I also can see someone not putting prices for items if they actually have no idea what something is and can't identify it, but on the other hand I don't think you should be selling stuff you can't identify.
Seller: I'd like to sell this...ummm.... THING... to the highest bidder!!!!
Buyer: I'll give you $40
Seller: What?!?!? Are you kidding me?!?!? $40 is nowhere near enough for this... ummm... THING... HERE *points with a confused face at item"...... ... yeah.... ANY MORE OFFERS?

You'd think I'm being stupid, but I've had similar interactions with sellers...

(P.S. I'm really bored at work and currently have a lot of free time to mull this over in my mind... and then let the results of the mulling spill onto your screens, in your homes... You're welcome internets )

I'm glad someone without prices chimed in though.
chovner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #18
rid
Beast Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryceball89 View Post
Totally agree with the pricing of vintage figures. It's really hard to put a price on those type of figures. It's really up to the seller and buyer's perception of how much the item is worth to them (in my case, how desperate am I to have that figure lol).
Well, if I follow your argument, then the seller has a perception of how much it is worth. So put that price in the thread.

My Wants:

Classics Game Of Deception (set preferred but individuals are OK too)
Most G1 Head/Power/Target-Masters
G1 RoadBuster, Scorponok, Shockwave
Any Optimus Prime (I have tons already but am always looking for more Primes)

Parts Needed: Triggerhappy's Targetmaster gun: Blowpipe (with gun attachment)
rid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #19
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

To an extent I can understand where some of you are coming from.

That said there are currently over 3000 B/S/T Threads (some or closed of course, but its still a lot).

Site staff are very busy without having to police this, which I think would prove very difficult. I mean when someone edits an existing sales thread there isn't even a notification that anyone sees with the possible exception of the Admin.

I think the best thing to do is just have everyone follow their own set of rules. If you don't want to deal with users that don't post prices then don't.

Personally I generally throw up lists of 50 to 100 items a couple times a year, without prices, for sale or trade. I'm not trying to gouge anyone, but the flip side of this exact arguement is this:

If I put that I want $15 for something I can almost be guarenteed that I'll get offered $12 or $10 for it instead.

I'd rather people just make me an offer they are happy with that I can accept or decline. All transactions are based on mutual agreement anyway. Closing these deals without communication is impossible. IF you have to send an extra message or two I just don't see what the big deal is.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #20
Gaetznes
Cassetticon

I do agree in principle about the prices.

But i'm going to take it out of context. For those of use that do the Flea Market circuit. Most sellers do not have prices listed. It has been my experince, that its as easy to walk away from them and there prices. Or just reply to someone on here, saying thanks for your time, but no thank you.